Fiat Coupe Club UK

New owner hello

Posted By: jonnyboy54321

New owner hello - 22/08/2017 08:41

Morning all. John from Camberley here.
Just registered.
Have bought what one should never buy - a cheap car 'with potential'.
Nowhere near my first rodeo - have lots of form with silly projects. Some of which I still own.....

Looking forward to learning and contributing as I do/have done to many forums over the years.

So I bought a 20VT in broom yellow - has been standing - lots and lots of history. Known things it needs are an alternator, aux belts and a clutch - and although the cambelt was only done 10k ago it's 8/9 years since so the thinking is to do it while the 'box is out for the clutch therefore gaining some working room.

Planning to get it up to my local MOT man for a list of horrors before ordering parts, then let the fun commence!!!

J
Posted By: sharman

Re: New owner hello - 22/08/2017 18:23

Welcome to "the club". The advise most of us here will give you is get to the rust first. It seems to be the big killer at the moment.
Get the arch liners out, the carpets out and underseal stripped off before spending loads of money. They can hide some real horrors.
Posted By: patrickstar

Re: New owner hello - 22/08/2017 20:05

Hi and welcome to the forum John enjoy your new project.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: New owner hello - 22/08/2017 20:09

Hi and welcome smile
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: New owner hello - 22/08/2017 20:18

Hi John and welcome - you sound like a man with a plan!

Happy coop-ing smile
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: New owner hello - 23/08/2017 11:04

Enjoy your project Coupe, do post up your progress and if you have any technical questions or otherwise!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New owner hello - 23/08/2017 17:43

Hi John.
Good luck .
I also have a broom vt
My ones being refurbished (week 8)now!
22k but been standing 5 years.
Posted By: came2dance

Re: New owner hello - 23/08/2017 18:55

Welcome to the forum Johnnyboy and good luck with the restoration smile

Re: New owner hello - 23/08/2017 19:20

Thanks all.
Managed to procure a cheap set of wheels and usable tyres and some bonus headlamps tonight (so my plan of do nowt before a check-over has already gone out the window!!!!).
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: New owner hello - 23/08/2017 19:26

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you can't help yourself from getting stuck in. Hope your Coupe is kind on your pocket smile
Posted By: williamsdad

Re: New owner hello - 01/09/2017 11:30

Hi John, im down the road in Fleet recently joined the club myself ill keep an eye out, maybe once you areup and running ill see you about... ive had the car 2months and still not seen another coupe ... so exclusive love it !
Posted By: DaveG

Re: New owner hello - 01/09/2017 12:38

Hi John, I'm up the road and even closer in Lightwater, I will have to keep my eyes peeled to see if I can spot you. Perhaps we need to hold a mini-meet?

Re: New owner hello - 01/09/2017 15:02

Hello gents.
Nice to know I'm not the only local with a bit of lurve for the Coops!
Hopefully the first part of the resto will happen this weekend if I can procure another member's spare alternator.
New-to-me wheels and tyres on and then it's up for MOT to see how bad it is - although my pal was under there yesterday and with the exception of a missing bit of exhaust (!!) there are some bits of surface rust and perished bushes and that's it.
The ramp will tell, no doubt!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK