Fiat Coupe Club UK

Best coupe upgrade ever

Posted By: Anonymous

Best coupe upgrade ever - 22/09/2017 14:33

After all the years of changing things, mostly for the better but sometimes for the worse, I've changed a part that I've never changed before and wasn't even broken, but was just "worn".

I think it's made the biggest single difference to the driving experience of anything I've ever done.

Yes, replaced my 120K mile, stone chipped to hell on every inch... windscreen! It's like driving a new car, really. laugh

It's taken 3 months to get everything done that I had in mind at start of year. So that's clutch, flywheel skim, cambelt, tensioners, water pump, radiator, CV joints, drive shaft seals, rear crank seal, top engine mount, aircon pipe + seal on compressor + dryer filter + re-gas and finally windscreen done.

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 22/09/2017 15:03

Ha! Brilliant.

You can change every piece of the transmission and hardly notice the difference, but renew the bits you actually physically touch or interact with? Steering wheel, gearstick, windscreen, mirror … it can feel like a whole new car!
Posted By: robcal

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 22/09/2017 20:19

I had a similar epiphany last week. I've always thought mine looked massively shabby from the front. I decided to change the dirty, cracked number plate - wow, what a difference!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 22/09/2017 22:36

Quite agree Graham, had mine done recently as well after a crack appeared.

Timing couldn't be better too with the sun getting low....
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 23/09/2017 04:00

Yep agree just had mine replaced 2 weeks ago with an oe one cannot believe the improvement in visibility, car also looks better visually for it too. Mine cracked in the centre from the top down no damage to screen/no rust...weird. .. just age...fitter said there were not many left and it was a special order.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 23/09/2017 15:20

That does sound like a worthy change!

So far mine has to be changing the head unit, the original was truly cack.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 23/09/2017 15:50

Not the Coop but my diesel hack windscreen is very pitted to say the least. As you all know in the sun on certain days things are difficult to see properly. I'm thinking my windscreen may have an accident in the near future.
Posted By: slime500

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 24/09/2017 17:06

How much does a windscreen change cost?

Agree that a head unit change is like night and day! Also, welding exhaust manifold and suspension refresh; it's like a new car!
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 25/09/2017 06:23

Originally Posted By slime500

Nothing. Do it on your insurance and get a quote written up that covers the cost AND the excess biglaugh

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 25/09/2017 06:58

Come on, it's gotta be a flea map...
Posted By: MarioCirillo

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 25/09/2017 07:00

If you don't have an le or plus
Strutbrace makes a huge difference

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 25/09/2017 07:01

I only have 3rd party insurance so that wasn't an option. Screen was £90 and £75 for fitting. The old seal was fine so was reused.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 25/09/2017 07:43

Originally Posted By GrahamL

I only have 3rd party insurance so that wasn't an option. Screen was £90 and £75 for fitting. The old seal was fine so was reused.

That's a "cracking" price....

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 25/09/2017 08:39

Originally Posted By Edinburgh
That's a "cracking" price....

It's not an OEM Fiat screen, it's made by Nordglass. I got it from ebay (# 171241244689 ) and had to collect from local depot once it was shipped there. Looks fine to me and has cured a major creak from the top/centre of the dash too. smile The guy I got to fit it (from local company) said they use the same supplier so I assume the quality is typical of non-OEM glass.

Re: Best coupe upgrade ever - 26/09/2017 18:00

Originally Posted By patch234
Come on, it's gotta be a flea map...

Agreed, I don't get why they didn't come out of the factory like it.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK