Fiat Coupe Club UK

Never mind the spider in the mirror

Posted By: Master_Mariner

Never mind the spider in the mirror - 14/12/2017 09:24

Anyone recommend a WORKING mouse poison?

I'm lucky enough to have a dry dock for my Coupe...but she has an unwanted visitor-Mr or Mrs Mouse is in the engine bay...and the bait I am laying down is being eaten like popcorn!

Don't like to kill anything....but the mouse has the darn upper hand at the moment....(mouse traps are being skirted by it too...)

Thanks in advance

MM
Posted By: magooagain

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 14/12/2017 09:32

If they are eating the poison then they will die. Where they die is the next problem.

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 14/12/2017 09:51

I know it takes a while for the poison to work-but three weeks in and its still chomping through a box of bait every three days?...at least its not eating more cables and rubber fastners.

I feel like I've inherited a pet that I need to check on that its been fed ok!
Posted By: williamsdad

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 14/12/2017 11:29

I had a bit of a problem in my shed once and found that peanut butter or nutella on a trap consistently worked for me. You could also try the rolling bucket method, with or without water depending on how you look at offing mice ... check out youtube, search for 'mouse trap bucket method'

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 14/12/2017 12:57

Thanks both,

I'll keep with it and load a trap up with some peanut butter then...its Mr Mouse or the car and the car naturally wins!

Eyes down for round 2!

MM
Posted By: Blueboyracer

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 14/12/2017 15:47

We use Nutella in Caston for attracting mice
And if all else fails patiently sitting poised with the air rifle always works - albeit the key word there is patiently

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 15/12/2017 14:40

nutella? Its a bit fancy in Caston!! Peanut Butter (crunchy) is what they are going to get here in the sticks bbr!

Ohh...its posh peanut butter,....with flax seeds! shamed.

Air rifle, flame thrower and rocket launcher at the ready to protect TRS!

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 15/12/2017 14:56

Loving the ordnance MM
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 15/12/2017 17:10

Quarter of a chunk of chocolate on the trap works for Herefordian mice and I celebrate the kill with the rest of the bar the next day.
punch To the meices.
Good luck.
Posted By: cyborg7

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 15/12/2017 20:59

You need something like raco bait blocks but they need to go inside a proper bait box so that the blocks get kept in place by spikes. To stop them getting dragged out and left for a cat/dog/fox etc. to find.

These are the only things that have worked for me*. Any of the grain based baits from dyas, screwfix, toolstation is pretty weak and therefore hit and miss and so you're better off sticking with a trap and chocolate as ^.

The raco blocks are primarily for rats, but because they're so strong I've even had mice expire before they've left the bait box itself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouse-Poison-Ki...raco+rat+poison

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TrapMan-STATION...Y2V25PJ9Y7CH4DK

*learnt the hard way after rats in the loft & cavity walls that took 8 months to get rid off and council's grain based bait proving useless.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 16/12/2017 08:03

Do you know for sure if it is mice and not rats? You can tell by the droppings.

There are basically 2 types of rat poisons, acute (fast acting) and chronic (slow acting). The slow ones are actually anticoagulants like warfarin, which no longer works very well. This is because the rats and mice become resistant to the poison over time. Warfarin is a first generation anticoagulant, then there are much stronger 2nd gen anticoagulants like difenacoum and brodifacoum. However in some parts of the country rats (not sure about mice) have even become tolerant to these chemicals.

Not sure what active ingredient is in the product you are using, but as a first step I'd be sure to be using a 2nd gen product like difenacoum, brodifacoum or flocoumafen. The one recommended above looks to be difenacoum based (actually I think the other two are only licensed for professional use).

The wax block should come with a hole in it so you can secure it in position with a cable tie. Regular inspection should show the feeding damage. If they are eating the bait then this should be sufficient to kill them within a few days. If they keep feeding then they must be resistant or you are next to a huge reservoir population (eg. like if you were parked in a farmyard barn).

If they don't die then you will need to get in a professional who will either use a stronger anticoagulant or an acute poison. With acute poisons you feed them untreated grain for a while to get them comfortable with the food source, then you put in the poison which will kill them almost immediately after feeding. The problem here is that the remaining rodents will very quickly realise that the bait is killing them and stop feeding at the bait station.

Good luck!

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 18/12/2017 09:11

Thanks All,

One night of peanut butter - and one very dead Mr Mice (not rat). After 3 weeks of the bait- which they seemed to take down as a snack- the other two traps are now loaded with P-B and we will see if its just one, or a family of the blighters.

Cracking advice- thanks all!

MM

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 18/12/2017 09:29

consider Nutella thrown out lol

P-B it is from now on, Well done

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 18/12/2017 09:37

Got to be the posh one with Flax seeds in it BBR lol,

If all clear in a few days- I can get on to Joe for replacement of the eaten rubber trims inside the engine bay!

MM

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 18/12/2017 19:44

Give me a shout re rubber trims, I may some spare very soon ;-)

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 19/12/2017 09:04

Deal!

Keep that mulled wine hot at bbr facilities-must meet up when your next in God's own county!

MM
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 24/12/2017 08:47

Don't poison them! Other animals eat the carcass and die also. Those ultrasound mouse repellers really do work - just plug in - no mess, no murders!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hausen-Ultrasonic-Pest-Repeller-Plug-In-Pest-Rodent-Mouse-Mice-Rat-Spider-Insect/311492486240?epid=1040385649&hash=item4886662460:g:Mx8AAOSw401aIT6d

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 29/12/2017 09:33

Thanks Annie,

I don't like killing-but the mouse traps proved effective. However I left the garage door open a few days ago-and now it seems another blighter has scuttled in (nothing for several days so it was not already hiding in there) This one has not so far found the engine bay...thank goodness.

But the traps and P-B are out again. So at least they will only be taking the mice/rodents out.

Regards

MM

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 29/12/2017 11:23

Unbelievable MM

Maybe the ultrasonic plugs may stop them coming into the garage in the first place.

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 29/12/2017 12:30

Its that or some primed tactical nukes BR sadly...

Can't let things get a tast for the coupe- the trims becoming unobtanium nowadays!

Regards for a peaceful new year MM!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 29/12/2017 20:46

click to enlarge

Re: Never mind the spider in the mirror - 01/01/2018 14:30

LOL Edinburgh,

A fresh smear of p-b and Mrs Mouse is now out of the picture. Hopefully we are nearing the end of the attack on the Coupe!

MM
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK