Fiat Coupe Club UK

VIN plate replacement

Posted By: Rob40

VIN plate replacement - 24/08/2020 20:27

Is it possible to get a replacement VIN plate?

I've somehow misplaced mine whilst the car was off the road for a front end refurb and can't find the damn thing anywhere.
Can they be applied for anywhere or is the VIN number stamped on the body enough to keep on the right side of regulations?

Any advice welcome,

Thanks.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: VIN plate replacement - 24/08/2020 21:23

That's a damn good question to which I don't know the answer, but which I suspect is 'no'. The VIN plate is required to be fitted by the manufacturer - perhaps you can get a replacement from Fiat?

(Or of course you wouldn't think of getting a vin and registration plate from a scrapper, and cutting out all the stamped in plates and very neatly welding them into your chassis, because that would be what is called 'ringing' the car and is amazingly illegal).

Re: VIN plate replacement - 24/08/2020 23:05

Just had this sent to me, can’t believe this even existed.
Now this is an easier way to ring a car!!!

http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 02:09

In my opinion, the VIN plate is just a 'general' identification plate with information on laden weight, etc. Abit like a tyre pressure sticker you find on some car doors. If it is something intended to be tamper-proof, then they wouldn't be positioning it at a place prone to accident damage and held on by plastic rivets rolleyes

Surely if the regulatory bodies wanted to know the true identification of the chassis, they would be taking it from the suspension turret?
Posted By: DaveG

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 09:06

I think it will be hard to get a replacement VIN plate. That web site caters for "classic" Fiats where the VIN plates were simpler, before they were even called VIN plates, like this for example https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302886621740

I think it will fail an MoT test without the plate, even though the chassis number is stamped on the suspension turret.
Posted By: clanger

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 09:44

I found previously both in the UK and here in France it's just noted on the MOT, rather than a fail. Obviously has a greater implication come time to sell.

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 09:52

Ok OK, fair enough, that'll give Rob a bit more time to find it then wink

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 14:07

And your starter for ten: how many places are there where the VIN is stamped into the chassis on a coupe?

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 14:43

Suspension turret and I'm guessing floorpan? My windows were also etched but not sure if that was from factory or the previous owner.

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 18:54

For UK cars imported by Fiat UK, all windows were etched with last 7 digits of chassis number plus the phone number of some securuty register thingummy, apart from front windscreen that had the full 17 digit VIN.

I don't think the VIN is stamped anywhere other than the suspension turret, but I could be wrong...

Re: VIN plate replacement - 25/08/2020 19:11

not certain but I think there might be one at the bottom of the driver's door. Maybe under the carpet. But as I say - not sure...
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: VIN plate replacement - 26/08/2020 03:39

I read / heard somewhere that there is also one in the boot...But i could never find mine. confused

Re: VIN plate replacement - 26/08/2020 17:43

That's the body/build number, nothing to do with the VIN
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK