Fiat Coupe Club UK

Car Cover - good or a bad thing?

Posted By: Rizzla

Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 10/01/2023 14:49

Hi all. I'm buying another Coupe and collecting it next week but with no garage and this weather being really poor for a few months, was thinking of getting a car cover for it.

Do you have one and are they any good? I don't intend to use it in the summer months but mainly the colder/winter months.

Thanks

Matt smile
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 10/01/2023 15:09

I have one that I got as a Xmas present from Halfords. Seems ok as it's got a nice fluffy side to hopefully not scratch the paintwork

Jamie
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 10/01/2023 15:40

I got mine from coverzone after a respray a couple of years ago to negate the effects of u/v light on both paintwork and headlight lenses. It's been good but had to sew an extra strap on front and back to counter the west/east air tunnel in our street.

It also saves a heck of a lot of cleaning - as it's outside - but it does collect condensation so air it from time-to-time.

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 10/01/2023 16:09

Originally Posted by Jamiepm
I have one that I got as a Xmas present from Halfords. Seems ok as it's got a nice fluffy side to hopefully not scratch the paintwork

Jamie

Sounds great!

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 10/01/2023 16:10

Originally Posted by Edinburgh
I got mine from coverzone after a respray a couple of years ago to negate the effects of u/v light on both paintwork and headlight lenses. It's been good but had to sew an extra strap on front and back to counter the west/east air tunnel in our street.

It also saves a heck of a lot of cleaning - as it's outside - but it does collect condensation so air it from time-to-time.

That does sound excellent, certainly will help with keeping it clean, i'll check out Cover Zone shortly.
Posted By: ucoupia

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 10/01/2023 20:52

I bought one from Halfords and it leaks like a sieve through the stitching, Jamiepm is yours o.k?
Posted By: Jamiepm

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 10/01/2023 23:09

It seems to be waterproof so far
Posted By: ucoupia

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 11/01/2023 17:57

Thanks,
think i will return mine and see what they say, supposed to have a guarantee.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 13/01/2023 17:02

This was discussed a wee while back. My thoughts were that in bad weather ice and snow I was convinced this where my Coop started peeling its top coat when I used a cover before I had a garage. Others were not that keen on a cover. If a cover is the only way, I would wax and seal the hell out of the paintwork
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 13/01/2023 20:14

Hello Rizzla

I would suggest that you've got to weigh up the current condition of your car and the risks that it may face if left outside unprotected, and how long you intend leaving it.

I know that it is obvious, but

A concours car should be inside with Aircon. A tip of a car under trees by a busy road needs protection.
Your car is no doubt, somewhere in between.

Even good covers can trap moisture, rub against wearing points, and if unlucky, allow frost underneath.
But if you are in a poor area, a cover will keep off bird poo, acid rain, tree sap and loonies.
The risk of condensation or abrasion might be worth the risk.

I keep mine outside all year without a cover. It's on the drive outside my house in a cul de sac with no trees around.
I see it every day, so can clean off any bird poo.

Although my paint work and rubbers aren't first class, I consider them as fair.
I prepared the car before winter by waxing. Nothing special, but done by a caring amateur. I will wash it every couple of weeks dependant on use. Then I'll top up with a spray on wax.

Best wishes

Paul
Posted By: gbob

Re: Car Cover - good or a bad thing? - 03/04/2023 11:31

When I took mine off a few weeks ago mice had made a nest under it. Nice little house in between the windscreen wipers. Worse thing is all the mouse poo and other brown sticky residue which they left behind. At least they didn't chew any cables, as far as I can tell.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK