Fiat Coupe Club UK

Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars

Posted By: barchetta_ms

Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 09/03/2024 23:29

Being pessimistic I doubt anything would ever come of this but it's worth a try......

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/654884
Posted By: PaulL

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 10/03/2024 07:49

Petition signed.
1 minute
Painless
Posted By: Sheepshead

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 10/03/2024 08:48

Signed worth a try
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 11/03/2024 10:04

Signed and shared thumb
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 11/03/2024 10:09

Ditto.

7,177 and counting....
Posted By: phil16vturbo

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 11/03/2024 20:16

Petition signed
7,360 currently
Posted By: ucoupia

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 11/03/2024 21:57

Signed 7,389
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 12/03/2024 09:43

7472 signatures now, 16 of them here in the Aldershot constituency.

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 14/03/2024 17:07

1k added in the last 3 days so at this rate it'll hit the 10k mark by the end of next week.

It's taken 2 months to reach 8k odd so little chance of it being discussed in Parliament but at least a response will be required, whatever that may entail...

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 22/03/2024 13:36

"10,269 signatures

Government will respond
Government responds to all petitions that get more than 10,000 signatures

Waiting for 2 days for a government response"

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 22/03/2024 13:43

Originally Posted by barchetta_ms
"10,269 signatures

Government will respond
Government responds to all petitions that get more than 10,000 signatures

Waiting for 2 days for a government response"

Pro forma response: "The government takes all petitions seriously and your views are very important to us. Unfortunately no-one is available for comment at this time. Do not respond to this message as this inbox is unmonitored"... chinny

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 05/04/2024 10:38

Answer given yesterday, no luck I'm afraid.

I wonder if going for 25 or even 30 year old vehicles might have had more success...but that might have had a detrimental effect on numbers signing perhaps.

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 05/04/2024 11:48

Not an unexpected result Simon.

What the government never mentions is that the tax exemption was originally set at a rolling 25 years old
Posted By: Echodelta

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 05/04/2024 13:07

Try again next year I suppose when there’s a new government.

I noticed this part of their response (emphasis mine):

The petition also referred to the costs of annual VED for a vehicle that is infrequently used. The current VED system is a tax on vehicle ownership rather than mileage, with rates based on factors including the vehicle type, engine size, date of first registration and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. However, motorists additionally pay fuel duty on the petrol or diesel which they purchase, so those who complete significant mileage in cars that run on petrol or diesel will generally pay more in fuel duty than those who drive fewer miles.

If the VED is a tax on vehicle ownership then it should be a completely flat rate independent of all the other factors! confused

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 05/04/2024 13:54

Some things never change...
https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/119497

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 05/04/2024 15:22

Originally Posted by Echodelta
Try again next year I suppose when there’s a new government.

I noticed this part of their response (emphasis mine):

The petition also referred to the costs of annual VED for a vehicle that is infrequently used. The current VED system is a tax on vehicle ownership rather than mileage, with rates based on factors including the vehicle type, engine size, date of first registration and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. However, motorists additionally pay fuel duty on the petrol or diesel which they purchase, so those who complete significant mileage in cars that run on petrol or diesel will generally pay more in fuel duty than those who drive fewer miles.

If the VED is a tax on vehicle ownership then it should be a completely flat rate independent of all the other factors! confused

Indeed it used to be a flat rate and not so many years ago either.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 06/04/2024 05:43

Originally Posted by PeteP
What the government never mentions is that the tax exemption was originally set at a rolling 25 years old

I seem to remember in discussions at the time that it was originally set as a _date_ with no intention of making it rolling. I recall quotes from the time about peoples MGs never going to be covered, with associated rending of garments, ripping of hair, and gnashing of teeth.

It seems equitable that vehicles should be charged for their consumption/mileage, and that is most easily done through a fuel tax (which is a bit hard to avoid) but that is considered regressive, affecting most those who can afford it least. Also, when did you last see a government give up a tax?

Neil
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Petition to reduce car tax on 20 year old cars - 06/04/2024 19:10

Yes you are right Pete, it was originally a 25 year rolling exemption, I remember waiting patiently for my 1973 Fiat 124 Spider to become exempt in 1998 but the exemption became frozen in 1997 or something, and I was trying to think of a way to persuade the DVLA it was made in 1972...

...and many years later the rolling exemption was re-introduced but at 40 years, so I'm waiting patiently again for 2025½ when my current 1985½ SpiderEuropa becomes exempt...
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK