Fiat Coupe Club UK

Battery voltage gauge - why?!

Posted By: sjbrophy

Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 14:03

I love the silver dials on my 20vt(6) - much nicer than the normal black IMHO.

BUT, where most coupes have an oil temperature gauge - on the right - mine has a battery voltage meter. What the heck is the point of that? it sits at 12.6 and never moves!

Wish I had an oil temperature meter instead! confused
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 15:15

Probably because it is cheaper to fit than an oil temp gauge.

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 15:19

Wish I could swap it!

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 16:24

mine is the same

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 16:27

saves coupe worrying as everyone with a oil pressure gauge deosnt stop worrying they have problem im one of then them

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 16:34

i have to guess when my oil is upto temp before i start using all the power though...can't be good

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 16:47

I wait a few minutes after the water is up to temperature. That seems to do the trick.

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 18:37

thats what i do smile but mine warms up very fast so will always leave it 10 mins just incase
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 18:42

I find the voltage gauge very handy as an LE owner. LE's are renowned for non starting and I know if my battery is less than 10v on the gauge it wont start frown

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 18:48

yes, but if it doesn't start when you try, you still know its not going to start laugh
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 21:34

Originally Posted By: sjbrophy
BUT, where most coupes have an oil temperature gauge - on the right - mine has a battery voltage meter.

Mine's on the left, as with all other Coupes I've seen confused

Originally Posted By: DanDan
i have to guess when my oil is upto temp before i start using all the power though...can't be good

Why? You'll be waiting forever and most daily drivers don't get up to temperature before they've stopped again.

Have you ever got the oil temperature hot before you've ragged any other car? No laugh

It's only because the Coupe has this gauge, it makes people paranoid.

Originally Posted By: sjbrophy
I wait a few minutes after the water is up to temperature. That seems to do the trick.

Me too smile

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 21:52

Originally Posted By: DanDan

[quote=Theresa]Why? You'll be waiting forever and most daily drivers don't get up to temperature before they've stopped again.

Have you ever got the oil temperature hot before you've ragged any other car? No laugh

It's only because the Coupe has this gauge, it makes people paranoid.[quote=Theresa]

Exactly. The coupe is special, i wouldn't want to damage it tongue

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 19/04/2009 23:20

ha yeah my bad, it's on the left!

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 20/04/2009 21:41

I can't see why anyone would ever want an "oil temparture gauge".
Its the most totally pointless thing ever.
It s just totally uneccessary.

Think it's been observed before that it seemed to come down to whatever spare gauge they had in the factory that day!

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 20/04/2009 22:29

I would be lost without an oil temp gauge in both my MG and the Fiat for the very reason of knowing when to give it some beans.

It also amazes me how newer vehicles seem to have *no* temp gauge at all sick
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 20/04/2009 22:46

the sci has no temp, nothing, the only sign you have its getting hot is when you hear the fan come on, then you got to hope it goes off!

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 21/04/2009 10:32

well halfway up an Alpine pass and the 20VT owner behind you says 'I'm slowing up - my oil temp is pretty high' you start to worry when all you can say in response is 'my battery charge is ok'.

I didn't back off though. laugh

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 21/04/2009 12:07

I've got a set of the silver dials if anyone is interested.
Came out of a VT6. Got a dead battery on the plus so getting a new battery as the gauge told me it was shagged before I turned the key. O thats what its for. It tells you not to even bother turning the key or the wife had the passenger light on all night
Posted By: samsite999

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 21/04/2009 12:40

with the problems i have at late, im happy with my v-meeter in the dash

can any one tell me what there's sits at on ignition stage 1 just before you crank it?

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 21/04/2009 12:45

Mine sits just below half way, cant remember what that reading is though, and then it rises above half way once started laugh
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Battery voltage gauge - why?! - 22/04/2009 01:46

My eyes are on dash warning lights and oil pressure when I start mine, never mind the battery voltage laugh

I'll find out the battery is dead when it doesn't start laugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK