Fiat Coupe Club UK

To buy a 3rd Coupe or not

Posted By: Anonymous

To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 16:51

I've fighting a battle with myself on whether to buy another Coupe or not.

I currently have a Fiesta Si with a 2.0 Mondeo engine fitted. I'd bought it as a 1.6 as a cheap runaround as I bought my first place, but the engine recently died and as I could get a 2.0 fitted for the same price as a standard 1.6 I went that route. However, all has not gone smoothly and today I've found out the headgasket has gone. I can't do the work myself so am looking at a few hundred quid at least, as well as finding a garage to do the work which might not be easy as most seem to not like working on modified cars and also changing the headgasket is a bit of a git of a job.

I've recently paid out for 4 new Toyo Proxes, a new clutch plus I had all the belts and waterpump etc renewed when the engine was changed, so would have liked to have kept the car for a year or two at least to recover what I've spent.

But, the lure of another yellow Coupe is still there. I'm supposed to be spending as little as possible though while I decorate and get by on paying a mortgage by myself, so may struggle with running a 20vt. I could go the NA route but would always crave the kick of the turbo.

I really don't know what to do!!
Posted By: mattB

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 18:09

I want you to get another coupe. Not sure about the yellow though.

I think you'd be best to wait until you can properly afford one again, as you dont want to be in the situation of being forced to sell it in a couple of months when you discover it's costing you too much.

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 18:29

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=43216&an=0&page=0#Post43216

Yellow, turbo, cheaper to insure than a 20vt, but thirstier (do you do loads of miles)

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 18:32

Vickster, how much to fill up your NA and how many miles do you get to a tank?

I do 40 miles a day. I had thought about the 16vt as there were a couple for sale, but having never driven a 16v I don't know how it'd compare to the sound or smoothness of a 20v.
Posted By: mattB

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 18:36

16VT is more thirsty than the 20VT i believe. It will be an older car aswell (although not necessarily in worse condition).

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 19:17

To be honest I don't have much of an idea of fuel consumption as it is my second car and I don't fill it up often. I know my old n/a used to do about 25mpg, urban and probably 30ish combined urban/quicker roads Reckon £45ish to fill, 250-300 miles but that's a guess

...I think it's similar to the 20vt, but I use normal UL and not optimax so cheaper. Maybe Bobbs can help as she uses her n/a more than me AFAIK...

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 19:59

So the NA isn't brill on MPG, doesn't seem a great deal better than my Plus!

Might go for something sensible, like this.

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 22:10

Get another Coop.

I'm on my second and have got a real dilemma when it comes to replacing it.

Look at how many people come back to the fold.

There's not a lot of difference between consumption on an NA and a turbo anyway - and you should be able to get a good one for £4-6k .

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 27/03/2006 22:38

Quote:

So the NA isn't brill on MPG, doesn't seem a great deal better than my Plus!

Might go for something sensible, like this.

No, but they are cheaper to run and insure generally...and reckon 25mpg would be as bad as the fuel economy gets

And Kingpleb will want to have your babies if you get the Skoda!!

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 28/03/2006 00:47

running costs of a 16vt win hands down in my experience i get around 300-320 miles on a full tank insurance is cheeper and parts are generally cheeper too. Go for a 16vt john irvings cheep buy and well maintained or there is a 20vt for sale in coops for sale section for same price £2150 either way turbo is best.

Re: To buy a 3rd Coupe or not - 28/03/2006 01:08

Had a 20V na and now got a 20VT, don't notice anything in the mpg between the two. VT is an oil burner whereas na used none. More fun with the turbo but 2x insurance of the na. Stuck in traffic/rain with it tonight in a convoy of repmobiles...why do we do it?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK