Fiat Coupe Club UK

oil pressure

Posted By: Anonymous

oil pressure - 16/01/2009 17:38

i am looking at getting a 20vt and just wandered what the oil pressure should be from cold/ running temp and booting it? Also what are the main things i should be looking for when looking at the car, yes have read the buyers advice , just want to be sure not to miss anything, cheers for your help. \:\)
Posted By: Guzbod

Re: oil pressure - 16/01/2009 17:40

Normally mine is 3bar and 2.7 on hot idle
Posted By: simonj

Re: oil pressure - 16/01/2009 17:43

All the main stuff is in the buyers guide really.

Oil pressure on start up from cold should be at 3bar. When under load it should be at 3bar, though when warm/hot it will only reach 3bar at 2k revs or more. When booting it, should definitely be at 3bar. When idling and warm, dropping as low as 1.5-2 bar is acceptable if really hot, dropping down further than that means problems. Mine in normal running drops to about 2.7 bar and if in traffic for a long time around 2.5 bar (I use quite a thick oil)

Water temp when warmed up should be around 80 degrees, rising to 90 and then the fans kick in.

Re: oil pressure - 11/02/2009 09:04

I've heard that its possible to do something to the oil pressure gauge to make it look like the pressure is higher than it actually is....does anyone know why people would do this?

Re: oil pressure - 11/02/2009 09:56

Originally Posted By: Axeleroyd
I've heard that its possible to do something to the oil pressure gauge to make it look like the pressure is higher than it actually is....does anyone know why people would do this?

Most likely to disguise a knackered engine.

I am not sure how its done, and its probably a good idea if it wasn't common knowledge anyway. thumb

I would be wary of a car that read maximum oil pressure when stinking hot though.

Using a thicker grade of oil will increase oil pressure slightly, but if your engine was running very low before then you are really just postponing the inevitable rebuild IMO.
Posted By: samsite999

Re: oil pressure - 11/02/2009 10:04

you could put very thick oil in it, thats about it. as above with the oil pressures, if its not behaving in that way walk away. not saying every one in the world are lyers...but generally its best to get a coupe though some one on here, that way you can be 99% sure its been looked after
what kind of money you looking at spending?
Posted By: Tommy_Coop23

Re: oil pressure - 11/02/2009 10:35

What about the oil temperature, once fully warm my water temp rests at around 80, same with oil sometimes they overtake each other slightly, in hot traffic both sit at 90 but never go above this, is that ok? occasionally my oil temp rises to just below 90 when on the move?

Re: oil pressure - 11/02/2009 11:54

Originally Posted By: samsite999
generally its best to get a coupe though some one on here, that way you can be 99% sure its been looked after

I wouldnt just make that assumption! rolleyes

(unless you know the person from meets and stuff) thumb
Posted By: Tommy_Coop23

Re: oil pressure - 11/02/2009 12:30

Plenty of good coupes can be purchased from people other than those just on the forums, as long as they've been looked after and fully maintained with full service history.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK