Fiat Coupe Club UK

To buy or not to buy!

Posted By: Anonymous

To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 13:13

Iv had an offer to swap my 2.5 v6 cougar for a 16vt. Apparently it needs a new front cv joint and rear trailing arm bearings? What are the symptoms of these problems and how much roughly to get them sorted?
Posted By: stan

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 13:20

CV joint: knocking on cornering and test by applying full lock while reversing. CV kit isn't expensive, less than £100 easily, but labour will bump up the price.

Rear arms: knocking over rough surfaces, possibly shimmy through the back end if badly worn. Kit costs something like £24/side but....labour could be expensive if they hit problems like seized bolts. Still wouldn't be a deal killer for me though if the rest of the car was good.

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 13:24

Thanks stan, I will bear that in mind :-D
Posted By: Nellybear

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 13:42

I've done the rear bushes on a 16vt before... First side 3 hours, second side 1 hours... knowledge is power !!!!!

CV joint is just a messy job, if you have a half decent mechanical head you will be able to do both jobs yourself thumb

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 14:44

oooo someone else wanting to get a coop from a V6 cougar smile still miss mine sometimes frown
i wouldnt have thought that it would cosr the earth to fix, if your handy with a spanner your should be able to these yourself.

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 14:49

Give me a Pc and I'll rip it apart and put it back together in 5mins. Give me a car and I'll rip it apart ... and thats it lol. If anyones in the midlands area and wants to do me a better deal than a mechanic let me know.
Posted By: Nellybear

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 14:57

I'm the other way round... would offer but WAY TOO far away thumb
Posted By: Liquid

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 19:07

You could try pmin counrycruising? Hes in Hereford and maybe able to help....Im in midlands and thats who I would use for good honest affordable labour smile ps I think cougar is worth more than a 16vt frown

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 19:43

Originally Posted By: Liquid
You could try pmin counrycruising? Hes in Hereford and maybe able to help....Im in midlands and thats who I would use for good honest affordable labour smile ps I think cougar is worth more than a 16vt frown

The Cougar is a joke! Get this 16VT, so long as you are confident to fix yourself or have the cash to get it fixed. Just watch for rust around the extremities, especially around all the front end mounting points for the bumper and undertray etc.

And welcome to the forum, I'm sure after you've driven it you'll be with us.

Incidently, I have drive shafts for sale, including the CV joints of course, just PM me if you are interested once you've bought/swapped tongue

Gareth

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 13/02/2009 22:43

I'm near Wellingborough in the midlands. I have a pretty comprehensive garage and a workshop manual. I'd give you a hand having a go (Good practice for me and maybe we could do a how to for the forum)

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 14/02/2009 16:31

Hi everyone, Just thought I'd do an update.

Iv swapped the cougar!!

I need the cambelt replacing for sure.

Im not 100% if it is CV joint and rear trailing arm bushes as I have no clue other than general maintenance about cars! (only started driving october 08)

On the drive home symptoms included

When going over speed bump... a loud clatter from the rear wheel/s like iv landed on a loose manhole cover.

When i full lock reversed... a loud grinding noise comming from front end and seem to slow the car down.

And a kinda rattling sound coming from somewhere when the engine vibrates.

This car does need quite abit of work I know that but I got a decent deal :-)

If anyone could let me know what you think this could be, or if you're in the midlands area could pop it round for a quick look. Would be WONDERFUL.

Im looking forward to getting to know this beast, and cant wait for it to be semi-reliable! :-D

Re: To buy or not to buy! - 14/02/2009 17:43

Hi mate, thats sounds like an ace idea.

Once iv sussed out if it really is the stated problems I will let you know.

BUT... When it comes to cars, It would be me giving you a hand.. ie.. passing you tools and making you cuppas haha
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK