Fiat Coupe Club UK

To buy or Not to buy???

Posted By: Anonymous

To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 14:29

Hi All,

Been looking for a fiat 20VT for the last few weeks, my budget is £1500-£2500

Found a cheap car within my traveling distance but in a dilema whether to hold out for a better example.

Its a 1997 black, tan leather, 130,000 miles on the clock, most service stamps, lots of reciepts but no proof of cambelt change, new tyres, no aircon or sunroof.

He wants £1200 for it...

Do you think I could do better? Is 130,000 nearing the engine end of life? Is it likely that I'll be spending a fortune replacing turbo, cambelt etc?

I know its currently a buyers market with the economy but good cars seem to be few and far between and outside my budget.

Any advice ??

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 14:33

You'll find a much more sorted example for your budget, I'd hold off. The mileage is high, but not overly scary although you'll get lower mileage and better history with a recent cambelt change for the money you have available.

Only my opinion, I can't comment too much, I haven't seen the car!

Gareth

Ps. There are a handful of tasty ones in the forum for sale section worth a look! For example, despite the mileage, this is lovely and very well regarded - Clicky

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 14:35

Oh, and welcome by the way laugh
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 15:34

id look at benji's one.spent loads maintaining even tho hes selling

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 16:41

Yeh, agreed, nice car, drives well. I looked at this before getting my new one, it was very high on my list.

Gareth

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 17:06

MikeeK, where are you located?

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 17:47

great minds think alike..

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 18:45

I'm in Cambridge.

Thanks for the advice, had a look at benji's and Raven's ad's. Not sure I'm a fan of the ligher blue's. Was hoping for black/red/dark blue/maybe yellow.

Good links to London, but Birmingham's a long way by train.

The Black 130,000 car is in London, haven't seen it yet. Serously thinking of heading down there tomorrow and I'm not very good at walking away from a car.

Mike.

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 19:29

I might be persuaded to sell mine too if you were interested.
Its recently had a cambelt and clutch, and a front suspension overhaul.

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 21/02/2009 23:48

You may want to check out what Solo Italia have in stock: http://www.soloitalia.co.uk/18035/index.htm
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 15:49

Just bear in mind that if there is no proof of a cambelt + aux belt change then get one done immediately. They cost £400+ fitted. If any of the aux belts go it's new engine time. Also if the clutch is slipping that's another £400. Smoking turbo is anything from £100 for a s/h unit to c.£500 for new + fitting. So potentially the car could cost you the same again as you're paying for it, if those three things need doing.

The advantage of buying from Solo Italia is that all the big jobs will have just been done. That alone justifys the price as you've got many years piece of mind. Forum members are also renound for maintaining the upkeep of a Coupe.

If you go and see it make sure you go armed with the buyers guide smile

EDIT - If you go to London, make sure you look at this one too.

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 18:57

Bought it today! (Did say I wasn't good at walking away)

Used "buyers guide", found very useful.

The good bits:
No smoking during acceration/idle/start.
clutch good, body ok. Oil pressure sits at 3 or near.

Man it's quick!

Problems I've found:

* Judder when light breaking. (read it might be discs, bushes)
* Small amount of oil near a large vent pipe(think its a vent pipe) just under the passenger's side headlamp (will investiage further soon)
* Not sure the engine temp + oil temp are working, only slight movement from start. Sitting near bottom of gadge.

Still not confirmed cambelt status, it looks like its been serviced at the same garge for the last 8 years, so calling them tomorrow, see if they have any records.

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:02

Was the last owner a doctor ?

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:22

Yes, why? Go on, whats the bad news!

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:28

nothing bad ... jus curious was it the car i was thinking of . the car look really nice ,after market wheels ,exhaust look quite new .

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:32

Did you view it?

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:35

no i didnt ... i wanted air con but the car didnt have it so give it a miss .

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:45

Yeah, thought it didn't have aircon too based on ad. But it does! Not working at mo, but hopping its a cheap re-gas needed.

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:47

i u bought it from the garage why dont u take it back and tell them to do it for u ....

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:53

Wasn't a garage, small time trader. Bought it as seen, and got the price knocked down accordingly (hopefully).

Re: To buy or Not to buy??? - 22/02/2009 19:58

i thought even a small trader still needs to provide warranty by law ,not sure how long tho .
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK