Fiat Coupe Club UK

fiat grande punto opinions

Posted By: Gripped

fiat grande punto opinions - 18/07/2015 09:23

Used to the called the Grande punto to set it apart from the smaller punto, but is now just called a Punto.

I've always liked the look of them but wondered what the best options were during the production run.

Crappy Pug 208 is going back at the end of the year so thinking of a cheap yep placement with style.

So, what do you recommend? The best/fastest/frugal/sexiest for around £3k?
And are they any good ?

Was thinking of a turbo engine of some sort.

Opinions please ladies gents

thumb
Posted By: samsite999

Re: fiat grande punto opinions - 18/07/2015 09:36

Watch out for the gearboxes, I stepped away from looking at the gp punto abarth because all of the issues they had been having
Posted By: Nigel

Re: fiat grande punto opinions - 18/07/2015 12:25

Wifey's 2007 Grande Punto 1.4 T-Jet has been pretty reliable over the 5 or so years she's had it

Cables into the tailgate have fractured, so I have a bit of splicing and soldering to do, but that's been the only failure of note, other than the usual consumables. Its had two replacement batteries so this may be a weakpoint, or I may have been unlucky

Its lowered on Eibachs and has the 17" option wheels, so it handles very nicely. Goes fairly well for a little 1.4 too, although it runs out of puff at the top end - punchy in the mid-range though. Its remapped to about 130bhp and has a nice stainless exhaust on it, so sounds half decent as well

Wifey only uses it for commuting, so the mpg isn't astounding - mid-30s, which isn't too bad I suppose. Will easily do 45 on a run

The only downside is that its a bit of a squeeze getting the dog in it (he's 13 stone, so isn't really a typical pooch) - I feel a soft-roader coming on for the replacement
Posted By: PeteP

Re: fiat grande punto opinions - 18/07/2015 12:28

Hi Toby.

I bought mine new in late 2007, a 1.3 Multijet Dynamic diesel, not had any problems with it although it hasn't done a huge mileage.

It coped well with a non-stop run down to Estepona near Gibraltar and the same back a couple of days later. 3500 miles in a week.

Generally I use it for local runs although it has done a return daytrip to Lancaster once to visit Stan with 3 of us in the car.

I don't really keep track of fuel consumption but it is around 50mpg in general use. On the Spanish trip It used 60 gallons to do the 3500 miles, that's nearly 60mpg when averaging around 80mph on motorways nearly all the way.

I don't plan on changing it any time soon.

Barmybob bought another 1.3 diesel a few months later, his has done a lot more miles than mine and as far as I know it has been trouble free too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: fiat grande punto opinions - 18/07/2015 13:00

I've had a GP for 5 years and had a Mk. II Punto for 7 years before that.

Had no major problems with either but weak points on the GP seem to be front suspension and a design fault causing a water leak at the brake servo.

See this how to:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sinister/GP_Leak.pdf

definitely check that area carefully on any GP you view, it's a common problem. The water drain pipe mentioned there can drip onto the alternator (yes, really) and in winter can freeze the alternator solid causing the belt to shred, also something to be aware of.

I had both front springs break within a month of each other on the GP, also needed both drop links replaced (twice!) and both wishbones replaced, all at under 30K miles.

On my old Mk.II Punto it was still on full original suspension at 10 years old when I got rid of it and it never failed an MOT. By that time it was badly rusted with holes in the floor though, whereas the GP has very little corrosion on the underside so it seems much better protected that way.

Had slight leaks from radiator end tanks on both Puntos, seems like a common but relatively minor problem, although it's a much bigger job to replace on the GP than the Mk. II.

At 6'1" I fit easily in the punto, whereas every other small car I tried was a nightmare. I'd definitely get another one, I don't think there's another small (but roomy inside), cheap to buy and run, easy to work on car that looks as good.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: fiat grande punto opinions - 19/07/2015 17:06

Mmm. Tempting. I have heard about the gearbox issues. Put me off the performance versions a little.

Perhaps a diesel would be a safer bet.
Posted By: Possum

Re: fiat grande punto opinions - 20/07/2015 00:08

We have had a 1.4 8v for 8 years and now have over 78,000km on the clock. It is the "shopping trolley" which the wife uses, although we usually take it on trips as it is easier to pack the holiday gear in, especially with the back seat down, than the Coupe.

Just did a trip last week of 1750km and it returned 5.9L/100K at an average speed of 69kph (town and country driving). Although, I do miss the Coupe's turbo when overtaking on the highway!

The only things we have replaced in our time of ownership is a battery, front pads, cam belt and tyres which are all normal things.
Posted By: jas_racing

Re: fiat grande punto opinions - 20/07/2015 13:22

Originally Posted By: Gripped
Perhaps a diesel would be a safer bet.

Some of the diesel models use the same dreaded M32 gearbox that gives Abarth model owners grief.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK