Fiat Coupe Club UK

Barchetta

Posted By: Serg1

Barchetta - 05/05/2017 08:31

Looking to buy one for summer motoring (if we get any) Has anyone had any experience of owning one?
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 10:10

Yep, I've had 2.

First one (Yellow with black leather) was written off after a few months, but was fun for that short bit!!

Second one (Black without leather) was straight after, and that was lovely for a few years. Only issues I had was a sticky back caliper, and the broken bonnet cable.

LHD not really an issue apart from toll booths and car park ticket barriers.

Chopped mine for the Coop.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 10:36

Prices rising sharply. Some lovely one's at Brooklands there was a Special Edition Silver one for sale for around £5K

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 14:00

Spoke to a few owners at Brooklands, all made positive comments about owning one and said there wasn't any mechanical issues with them.

Interested in one at Brooklands which is currently up for sale.

It seems another car not built at Fiat.

Noticed they share many parts with a coupe.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 14:04

They are built on Punto platforms so lots of commonality there too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 14:10

http://www.fiatforum.com/barchetta/

is probably worth a look.
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 16:00

I've had a few over the years. Biggest issue now, as with the coupe, is rot. Mechanically they're sweet little cars, great engines, cambelt and variator only things to look out for, get a hard top for all weather use as the canvas "always" finds a way to leak into the gulley behind the seats, resulting in a lovely splash as you turn!

Prices still brilliant compared to the mundane MX-5. I saw a riviera black Barchetta locally for 5.5k recently.

And the LCD clock NEVER works!
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 16:01

Clock worked on both of mine!

Lol
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 16:07

You might have bought one of my old ones after I'd fixed it!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 16:56

Speaking to a couple of continental owners in Norway a couple of years back, both complained of significant floor repairs required, but both were very happy with them.

I have my eye on one myself...

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 17:56

More I look into this, more I like them.

Barchetta I'm interested in has colour coded hardtop, big plus. Would avoid any without unless it was mint and low milage.

I've be told hardtops are hard to find these days and if one comes up for sale it goes for big bucks.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 19:46

Never owned one, but drove a couple of customers Barchettas and liked them a lot.

Very nice to drive, felt natural to be on the left and felt very good and solid on the road cool
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Barchetta - 05/05/2017 19:57

I always loved the Barchetta. Like the Coupe, the design was special and more stylish than most contemporaries. The only thing that put me off was the LHD. Fiat could have made a killing in the UK if they'd done a right hooker.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Barchetta - 06/05/2017 10:30

Have you considered importing one? No issues with the steering wheel only the instruments that'd be different.

A Barchetta from Italy is likely to have much less issue with rot since they get less rain and don't grit the roads.

One near Turin and One near Venice
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Barchetta - 06/05/2017 15:06

Better to wait for a continental one until I'm living on that side of the road anyway. And besides, these are silver. Red or yellow for a Barchetta, I think.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Barchetta - 08/05/2017 05:50

I did see a right hand drive one for sale once.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Barchetta - 08/05/2017 06:49

Yes I think DTR did a few RHD conversions on them.
I really wanted one a while ago but just wasn't practical at the time. Would really love an early press-type car - Orange with those steel wheels. Didn't really like the later ones with the 'Cyclops' 3rd brake light. The 1.8 unit is the same unit that went in to our old Stilo. And the same Steering wheel as the Coupe! Nice!
Posted By: Barmybob

Re: Barchetta - 18/05/2017 21:06

Trish really wanted one of these. We looked at a few but after the scare stories I heard in Norway I took a good look for rust. Most of them we saw were starting to show tin worm issues but it was the LHD that killed the idea. Trish realised it would be impossible with the barriers at work. In the end she chose a TT roadster and has just replace it with another TT roadster!

Re: Barchetta - 19/05/2017 07:24

Viewed an excellent example at a reasonable price, one owner, full service history. It came with all the extras like hard top etc. While test driving the car someone who had viewed it earlier that day rang and offered £500 more than the advertised price. At that point I wasn't will to get into a bidding battle so walked away.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Barchetta - 19/05/2017 09:13

Originally Posted By Barmybob
...it was the LHD that killed the idea. Trish realised it would be impossible with the barriers at work

The easy solution is to reverse into car parks tongue laugh wink

But that reminds of a time when I gave a lift to an overseas client in my old (LHD) 124 Spider and drive into a multi-storey car park. As he pressed the button to get a ticket for me, he expressed surprise that the machine was on the wrong side. He thought LHD was normal and hadn't realised that we had been driving on the right to get to the car park rolleyes laugh
Posted By: Zam

Re: Barchetta - 19/05/2017 17:25

I have a LHD cars.

A Hozelock Pond Grabber is the thing to get! A long pole, with a grabby hand.

You can poke car park koisk buttons etc and then grab the ticket!

http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/aquatics/pond-grabber/
Posted By: Wishy

Re: Barchetta - 19/05/2017 19:47

I'm struggling to work out what made me laugh the most

this
Originally Posted By DaveG
The easy solution is to reverse into car parks tongue laugh wink

or this
Originally Posted By Zam
A Hozelock Pond Grabber is the thing to get!

Mind you, I have always been put off Barchettas by the LHD (but love them otherwise) so the latter post may have swung me.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK