Fiat Coupe Club UK

help with an argument..

Posted By: Genic

help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 22:52

ok , me and a mate are having an argument about who is the better guitar player.. David Gilmour or Mark knopfler,

now I think dire straits are great, and Mark Knopfler is incrediable, but I think Dave Gilmour is just that bit more better...

what do you guys think, help solve this argument.
Posted By: ali_hire

Re: help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 23:01

For the record, you're not suggesting either are the 'best of all time' or anything silly like that, are you?

Re: help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 23:05

best of all time.... I would think they were strong contenders smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 23:06

Gilmour,,,,just because,,,, ok?

Re: help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 23:10

I'm not saying they're bad, obviously they're both great. But not greatest ever IMO.

Of the two, I'd say Knopfler

Re: help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 23:11

Originally Posted By: ali_hire
I'm not saying they're bad, obviously they're both great. But not greatest ever IMO.

out of interest , who would you say is the greatest ever?
Posted By: AndrewR

Re: help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 23:36

Does George Formby count?

Anyway, those in the know seem to think Hendix was the best ever.

Maybe, but how many funny songs about window cleaners did he ever do, eh?
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: help with an argument.. - 02/02/2013 23:43

Gilmour for me the solo's on time and comfortably numb are iconic
Completely different guitar styles though, so as always its down to personal taste, and whilst were on about Taste one of the best I ever saw was Rory Gallagher

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 00:36

Originally Posted By: Genic
Originally Posted By: ali_hire

out of interest , who would you say is the greatest ever?

It's a difficult question because how do you define best?

Best innovator? Could be Page or Hendrix.

Best performer? Probably Omar Rodrigo Lopez (Mars Volta/At The Drive in).

Technically the best? Perhaps someone like Steve Vai or Ron Thal.

Most passion? I'd say Stevie Ray Vaughan.

In the end it comes down to personal preference and I'd have to give it to Hendrix.

Ask me another day - say, when I've just listened to Since I've Been Loving You - and I'll say Page.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 02:53

I believe Christ Rea and Dire Straits were combining their efforts at one point.
They were going to be called Chris Straits.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 04:43

Gilmour for this arguement.

But best guitarist: Hendrix, SRV, EVH, Vai, Satriana, Santana, Kossoff, Page, Hammett, Bruce Dickinson(Little Angels). Slash, Michael Schenker, Vernon Reid, Beck, George Harrison, Paul Gilbert, Angus, Blackmore, Tremonti, Mustaine, Iommi, and May.

Some of my personal favourite I'm sure I've missed some. But the best, Hendrix number 1 the rest number 2.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 08:06

It's always going to be subjective, so what you have to do is find some objective measure, e.g. how much do the 'signature' guitars go for...

Eric Clapton: $4,040 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/f...electric-guitar
Mark Knopfler: $1,600 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/f...electric-guitar
Jeff Beck: $3,560 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/f...electric-guitar
Rory Gallagher: $4,080 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-custom-shop-rory-gallagher-signature-electric-guitar
Dave Gilmour: $4,280 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/f...electric-guitar

Which at first sight puts Mark at the bottom of the list, where he *obviously* doesn't belong... but the others have 'custom' strats available, where years of damage on their axes is lovingly replicated by cheap labour, whereas he gets only a 'signature' version. Perhaps this metric merely means that Mark looks after his guitars better!

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 08:13

Les Paul is the best then.

Are you kidding! You could buys house for that!

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 08:33

http://www.nme.com/news/jimi-hendrix--2/53884
Posted By: Theresa

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 08:51

Originally Posted By: dlongstaff
I believe Christ Rea and Dire Straits were combining their efforts at one point.

Or Dire Rea laugh tongue

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 08:54

Originally Posted By: Theresa
Originally Posted By: dlongstaff

Or Dire Rea laugh tongue

Keep on topic please laugh

Am I showing my age,but I don't know who any of them are other then Hendrix .

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 09:13

I'll play you some next week John while we working on the car laugh

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 09:14

That's because boy bands don't play any instruments other than the pink oboe paper
Blackmore,,,,was my favourite when I were a lad!!!!!
Angus,,,,Page,,,etc
One of the best I saw live was Garry Moore,,,,,it's a personal taste thing though thumb

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 09:24

The 2 Jimmys

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page

Robin Trower was pretty nifty, and Slash can play a bit wink but the 2 Jimmys are/were the best in my humble opinion. The list is endless though; BB King, Eric Clapton, Brian May, Pete Townsend, Steve Howe, Richie Blackmore, Robert Fripp, Angus Young, etc. Dave Gilmour is one of my all time favourites. Mr Knofler is a damn fine guitarist but doesn't float my boat.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 09:29

Originally Posted By: porkypaul

Ok thanks.
Do I need a tattooist and body piercer ready ?
Posted By: bezzer

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 09:31

Gordon Giltrap smile

But for me, up there with the best is Richie Blackmore cool

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 09:39

Originally Posted By: johnnybravoturbo

Ok thanks.
Do I need a tattooist and body piercer ready ?

Too right \m/ \m/
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 09:54

But best guitarist: Hendrix, SRV, EVH, Vai, Satriana, Santana, Kossoff, Page, Hammett, Bruce Dickinson(Little Angels). Slash, Michael Schenker, Vernon Reid, Beck, George Harrison, Paul Gilbert, Angus, Blackmore, Tremonti, Mustaine, Iommi, and May.

Some of my personal favourite I'm sure I've missed some. But the best, Hendrix number 1 the rest number 2.

Did you forget Rory Gallagher?
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 10:29

Well, if it was guitar playing that I actually liked listening to, then it would have to be Johnny Marr.

Technical ability is nothing if you don't care for the music - like judging a painting by the brushwork. There's a reason why so many of the so-called great guitarists come from the same sort of era around the 70's and it's nothing to do with a glut of talent in that decade.

And just for the pure joy of listening to a guitar and player as one, then BB King. When I went to see him at the Hammersmith Odeon in the mid-80's, Eric Clapton was in the audience.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 10:38

Actually, here's a challenge: who's the best guitarist who WASN'T famous during the 70's? I think the list will be about 1/10th of those above.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 10:38

Originally Posted By: Mark_S

Did you forget Rory Gallagher?

I did say I missed some laugh
Posted By: Roadking

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 11:04

Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider
Technical ability is nothing if you don't care for the music - like judging a painting by the brushwork.

Exactly the point I was going to make. I have a particular taste for the Blues guitarists, their playing seems to be more of the overall "sound" than with Rock guitarists. Not to be confused with me saying I don't like Rock music or guitarists.

Some interesting ratings and comments in this list, although they are only opinion.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 11:34

Originally Posted By: Roadking

Some interesting ratings and comments in this list, although they are only opinion.

Love that list - kinda to the same point. Kurt Cobain is another guitarist I love to listen to because of the great riffs he came up with. And the list isn't stuck in the 70's either

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 11:37

Been brought up listening too these http://youtu.be/S-St7llUX2I I wonder why I'm into rock guitarists?

10 points too anyone who recognises the lead singer.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 11:39

[quote=porkypaul]Been brought up listening too these http://youtu.be/S-St7llUX2I I wonder why I'm into rock guitarists?

10 points too anyone who recognises the lead singer. [/quote

Is that your dad ?

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 11:44

It is mate when he was a bit younger, he still plays.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 11:47

Still looks the same now.

Was that taken from TOTP2 ?

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 11:50

No from a gig they played in Stoke that video was entered into battle of the bands on MTV back in 1983 which they won.

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 13:16

On topic i'd say Gilmour is better than Knopfler. As someone said earlier the solo on the Pink Floyd Pulse version of Comfortably numb would take some beating imo.

Best ever has to be Hendrix - imagine trying to play with your "wrong" had and having the guitar upside down at the same time? Yep that's how Hendrix played.......imagine how could he'd have been had he adopted a traditional style shocked

A few others for consideration for me in more recent times, and often overlooked in these debates would be;

Richie Samboura
Eddie Van Halen
Ingwie Marmsteen
Joe Satriani

Technically the best i've seen live - John Williams
cool

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 14:37

Hendrix all day.

Doesnt get any better in my eyes.
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 15:03

Originally Posted By: crazylegs
Doesnt get any better in my eyes.

Surely should be in your ears that counts? tongue

For me, who made me pick up a gee-tar may not necessarily be the best guitarist of all time (in the world, ever, part II), but who influence me, are;

John Squire (Stone Roses)
Charlotte Hatherley (Ash)

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 17:26

Almost impossible to compare. Knopfler largely plays finger style, claw hammer and Gilmour almost exclusively uses a pick. Knopfler is an excellent songwriter who also plays guitar, Gilmour is an excellent guitarist who also writes songs.

Generally speaking Gilmour is lauded for his use of tone, phrasing and space. Knopfler is more usually lauded for his songwriting, although he gets some pretty mighty tones to my ears.

I wouldn't like to call it, for me they are both exceptional and sources of inspiration but in different ways. I'd say I've been a fan of Gilmour almost as long as I can remember, and have come to Knopfler more recently, certainly largely in his solo career.

However I only own one of the guitars listed above, and it isn't Knopflers wink

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 18:10

Originally Posted By: johnnybravoturbo
[quote=porkypaul]Been brought up listening too these http://youtu.be/S-St7llUX2I I wonder why I'm into rock guitarists?

10 points too anyone who recognises the lead singer. [/quote

Is that your dad ?

No it's his mum; Jena Aguero I think...

Re: help with an argument.. - 03/02/2013 21:52

Albert lee,. Alvin lee, jan Ackerman, Peter green

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 11:03

Just to update this, Rolling Stone Magazine has a list of the top 100 guitarists ever.

Mark Knofler 44th
Dave Gilmour 14th

No 1.... Jimi Hendrix
No 2.... Eric Clapton
No 3.... Jimmy Page

I knew I had good taste crazy wink

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 11:09

Originally Posted By: tim42
Just to update this, Rolling Stone Magazine has a list of the top 100 guitarists ever.

Mark Knofler 44th
Dave Gilmour 14th

No 1.... Jimi Hendrix
No 2.... Eric Clapton
No 3.... Jimmy Page

I knew I had good taste crazy wink

In one of their top 100s maybe. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...endrix-20101202

Which goes to show how subjective any "best of" list is. smile

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 11:57

In one of their top 100s maybe. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...endrix-20101202

Blackmore at #55 shocked

What a crap list!
Posted By: came2dance

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 13:13

So, not many Nils, Neil Young or Prince fans on here then smile

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 16:14

I must confess that Keith Richards at #4 was a trifle strange, as was Rory Gallacher and Joe Walsh at 57 and 54 respectively, behind Mick Ronson at #41 rolleyes

All good reading though, and voted for by their peers.......

Still can't argue with the top three though cool

Prince is #33

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 18:27

So we have managed a whole list of great guitarist and not mentioned Joe Bonamassa ?
Have a youtube at some of his stuff from the albert hall

Then again Robben Ford does not need practice (I almost gave up playing after trying to play some of his stuff!)

I do like a bit of hendrix though (the hamsters used to do a great hendrix night)

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 18:47

Originally Posted By: bezzer

Blackmore at #55 shocked

What a crap list!

A subjective response to a subjective list smile

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 20:13

Hamsters do a really good tribute, the Aussie pink floyd do too, I also hear there's a chap called joey jordison pushing ringo for best skin basher. biglaugh biglaugh
Posted By: oxfordSteve

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 20:20

God, there is nothing in the world worse than a tribute band....

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 20:27

Originally Posted By: RoyH
So we have managed a whole list of great guitarist and not mentioned Joe Bonamassa ?

I suspect that the judges might have been of a certain age. Joe can certainly play cool .

I'm really enjoying this thread - better than "which oil" thumb , although maybe not as useful......

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 20:29

Hamsters are pretty good it's not all Hendrix saw them at Skegness butlins on festival of blues and soul, now that's a great event to have a meet last weekend of January fri to mon but only if you like loud screaming guitars it's a fab weekend

Re: help with an argument.. - 11/02/2013 23:14

Hamsters were very good. They have split up now.... shame i have seen them at least 10 times.

If we are going to stretch this a bit more, best playing I have ever seen was Doctor Feelgood, around the top of their fame. Just a magical thing to see.

And the worst.... has already been mentioned Chris Rea... shame cos he is a nice bloke (if not a little grumpy) and he had a Caterham!

Re: help with an argument.. - 12/02/2013 07:15

Originally Posted By: bezzer

Blackmore at #55 shocked

What a crap list!

A subjective response to a subjective list smile

yes
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK