Fiat Coupe Club UK

Cloudy glasses from dishwasher

Posted By: Thunderbox

Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 07:37

Noticing that more and more glasses are getting cloudy from the dishwasher. We use decent tablets and rinse aid and fill with salt etc. but it keeps happening.

The "Boss" is getting quite 'cross' now so I thought I'd pick the Brains Trust!

Any remedies for both existing glasses with almost a frosted look and to prevent it happening in the first place?

We are in a hard water area but the machine (should have) been adjusted by the engineers for such an eventuality over the past 8 years we've had the machine and had them out to fix various (non-related) problems.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 07:53

We have the exact same problem. Over the weekend I added a bunch of our cloudy glass tumblers to my usual dish-washer clean cycle (I use a powder supposedly for the catering iundustry that is supposed to remove the "bloom" from the glasses as well as clean the dishwasher), but it didn't work. I'd be interested too!
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 08:42

A couple of things to try:

1. Figure out which ones are going cloudy and don't buy them again. Figure out which ones are staying clear and buy some more.

2. Don't put them in the dishwasher, how hard is to clean glasses? rolleyes

3. Put up and shut up

So, not very helpful. I dunno! We get the same but have cheap glasses so we're not too fussed. How about a low temp wash, more quick washes instead of long/intensive ones?

Edit: if you soak them in vinegar for 5 mins and the cloudiness goes, then it's hard water depoist so top up the salt, if it stays, then it's too late, the glass has been etched.

Well that;s what it says elsewhere on t'interweb
Posted By: bezzer

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 08:52

They're either permanently etched or you have a a 'film' on them.

Try soaking a cloudy glass in a vinegary mixture. If after soaking and washing the glasses are still cloudy then they're etched and beyond salvation.

2 options. First you could hand wash your glasses or secondly buy cheap glasses (Ikea do 4 tumblers for 99p). Continue to wash them in the dishwasher and when they start to go cloudy, recycle them and buy some new ones.
Posted By: Jim_Clennell

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 09:15

I understand it's not a life-changing issue and guilty as charged on cheap glasses! I'm not particularly fussed about it, but it would be nice if it were possible. Hand washing would of course be possible, but in a household of 5, each using 2 tumblers a day and not having a draining board, it would be a significant addition to the chore list. And hearing another sigh or grunt from a grumpy teenager asked to help is more than I can be bothered with. Also, why have a dog and bark yourself? Surely a dishwasher should be able to, you know, wash dishes...

I'll try vinegar...

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 10:31

You've hit the nail on the head. What you need is a glasswasher and not a dishwasher of course.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 13:06

is your top arm spining round ok? what make is the dishwasher?

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 14:23

It's a Miele and yes the top arm and the mid arm spin freely.

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 14:25

I'll try the vinegar trick!

We can also buy cheap glasses and throw away and also wash glasses by hand. It just didn't seem to make the glasses cloudy this quick before!
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 17:11

Maybe that the cycle is too hot for the glass. Miele is the best dishwasher there is. There's a cycle for glasses.
Posted By: Genic

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 21:27

do you use separate rinse aid and 3 in 1 tablets..?

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 21/10/2013 21:53

Is the water getting hot, the glasses started coming out of our dishwasher milky/cloudy looking when the heater had packed up, I only noticed it when I opened the door half way through a cycle and the water was stone cold.
Posted By: bockers

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 22/10/2013 06:15

Is this Mumsnet shocked

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 22/10/2013 09:19

This never happens to hand-washed glasses, does it, so what's the secret ingredient that has the power to do this in the machine? It has to be the tablets, doesn't it?

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 22/10/2013 11:36

Originally Posted By: bockers
Is this Mumsnet shocked
Is that the other forum you regularly frequent? wink laugh
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 22/10/2013 11:49

Ours always get the cloudy effect in our good Bosch machine. So we always handwash the nice glasses and let the old Nutella style ones go through the "cloudy cycle."

I've just been advised by the resident chemist that it is the combination of high heat, alkaline solution and the silicates in the the tablets which etch the glass.

So perhaps a cooler cycle with a "kinder" powder.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 22/10/2013 14:23

Originally Posted By: DaveG
Originally Posted By: bockers
Is this Mumsnet shocked
Is that the other forum you regularly frequent? wink laugh

LOL and LOL
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 22/10/2013 16:00

Originally Posted By: Gripped
Ours always get the cloudy effect in our good Bosch machine. So we always handwash the nice glasses and let the old Nutella style ones go through the "cloudy cycle."

I've just been advised by the resident chemist that it is the combination of high heat, alkaline solution and the silicates in the the tablets which etch the glass.

So perhaps a cooler cycle with a "kinder" powder.

I don't think there's such thing as a "kind" powder - they're all pretty nasty which is why they work. Whether some are "kinder" than others, I don't know. Maybe go for an Ecover type thing - nothing else will be clean but the glasses won't go cloudy wink wink
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Cloudy glasses from dishwasher - 22/10/2013 20:09

Cloudy doesn't bother me so long as they are clean!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK