Fiat Coupe Club UK

Amazon Firestick

Posted By: Theresa

Amazon Firestick - 19/09/2016 01:43

After reading a thread about Amazon Prime being decent and with the Grand Tour series due, I'm tempted to sign up to Amazon Prime.

While looking into it, I've read about Firesticks, etc. Seems they are around £35, but people on Ebay and Facebook, etc., are selling them for around £45, with 'Kodi', etc, installed.

What is Kodi? Are these Firesticks as good as they seem? Ebay sellers say you can get the latest films, etc., but is this done legally or not?

Also, if I did sign up to Prime, would a Firestick be easier to watch stuff from than trying to connect a tablet to a tv with a Prime account etc?

My brother bought me a Chromecast for Christmas a couple of years ago and I've hardly used it as it doesn't seem to do much and am wondering if the Firestick is the same or better?

I don't watch much tv, but when I do, I just want things to work without too much hassle (hence why I'm still with Sky as recording, etc is easy) rolleyes laugh
Posted By: MarioCirillo

Re: Amazon Firestick - 19/09/2016 02:01

Forget running Kodi on a firestick - the performance is crap. Kodi is basically a piece of software that enables you to install third party applications on the Firestick - in a nut shell it lets you watch and stream movies etc for free. However its not the easiest thing to set up and not very reliable.

Moving on:
Firestick would be much easier than using your tablet. It also has things on it like BBC iPlayer and other apps. You just need a HDMI port on your TV.

If your TV is a smart TV with apps installed on it, its worth seeing if Amazon Prime is available as an app on your TV (which means you dont need the fire stick).

Re: Amazon Firestick - 19/09/2016 10:19

I've got a HDMI port on the tv, as I have the Sky box running from it. I think I have 2 HDMI ports actually.

It's not a smart tv frown
Posted By: DanTheManc

Re: Amazon Firestick - 19/09/2016 12:06

If you have an android phone on Windows PC you can install kodi on them and try it out.

You can install kodi builds on them.

Heres a couple of examples of what you can do using kodi if you install a build

https://youtu.be/DDeASkV2m0Q

https://youtu.be/boS5VQ1cQoI

Re: Amazon Firestick - 19/09/2016 12:12

Double post

Re: Amazon Firestick - 19/09/2016 14:48

There's an offer on at the moment where you get a firestick for £9.99 if you sign up to Amazon prime

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pipeli...owLandingPage=1

Re: Amazon Firestick - 20/09/2016 00:29

Thanks Dan, but can't afford and don't want to pay the up front costs, would rather monthly payments, especially until I know if I like it or am going to make use of it.

As for the phone, no, I don't have an Android phone or one running Windows PC.

Seems like it might be best for me to run a HDMI lead to the tv if I sign up to Prime and see how it goes from there.
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Amazon Firestick - 21/09/2016 15:31

We use a fire stick for Kodi without any issues. I set mine up and stream whatever I can.
The reason I chose it... interface. Tried other android boxes etc and needed a keyboard remote or air remote. Both rubbish and clunky to use.
The fire stick remote is simple and useful very much like an Apple TV which I also believe can now run Kodi on the later model. Again great interface,

I would recommend one but load Kodi on your phone or pic and have a mess first and see if it's for you.
Posted By: Jay1984

Re: Amazon Firestick - 23/09/2016 13:40

Would I be right in saying that I should be able to watch "The Grand Tour" using the Amazon Prime app on the Playstation? I'd just need to sign up - no Firestick needed?

Cheers,

J

Re: Amazon Firestick - 24/09/2016 00:22

From my understanding Jay, yes, you should be able to watch it on the Playstation smile

I've signed up for my free trial now, just need to find time to watch something laugh

Re: Amazon Firestick - 25/09/2016 20:40

Well, tested this with the grandsons this morning. Tablet plays the stuff fine and the kids are happy to watch on the tablet.

However, I want to watch through the tv and although the cable is connected and I've previously watched stuff while connected via HDMI from tablet to tv, it's not having any of it this time grr
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK