Fiat Coupe Club UK

Text talk

Posted By: Serg1

Text talk - 21/11/2016 19:37

Us old chaps are not always up to speed on text talk. Does anyone know what "ojup" mean??????
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Text talk - 21/11/2016 20:26

looks more like a typo or an auto-correct cock-up to me, but then I'm an oldie too.....

Re: Text talk - 21/11/2016 20:36

Thought it might be a typo, then thought it might be some new bit of text talk which all those young people use which goes straight over my head.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 06:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a_Rq5rtKs8 - obviously, it is the Japanese verb 'to ride a bicycle while being filmed badly'.
Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 06:41

It's no good asking on here - we're all old farts wink
Posted By: jimboy

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 06:49

Well at a sheer guess if it is text talk......"only joking you pri**" laugh

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 08:36

Jimboy maybe that's it, if not you have created new one, like it!
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 08:40

Originally Posted By: jimboy
Well at a sheer guess if it is text talk......"only joking you pri**" laugh

laugh

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 14:42

I said before on here, I joined a forum some years ago to read up & get information about my diesel hack.I realised very quickly that it was run by teenagers. Now I'm a very Liberal & opened minded man, but it was an eye opener how they communicated to each other, in code/text speak swearing openly. Things came to an abrupt end when I commented on something that someone said, which was both obviously impossible & stupid. Well, the flood gates opened up & I was to be hunted down & killed..... laugh

I had to continually ask about their codes & text speak & what they meant. This did not go down too well either. Some even went on about my over the top spelling & the use of "big" words.. laugh

After a few facetious & well informed phrases I bid them all good bye, very nicely I may add, again this did not sit well... laugh

Ah well! you live & learn as they say.... hehe

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 15:04

I hate text speak, personally I think it destroys the English language. It's lazy, if you can't spend a few extra minutes writing a message in full, it's a very sad day. Rant over.

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 16:28

Totally agree, I'm not the best speller in the world & accents are what they are, but the way our language is spoken/shortened & words destroyed to all recognition & played around with, very annoying at the least.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 16:56

Totally agree, I'm not the best speller in the world & accents are what they are, but the way our language is spoken/shortened & words destroyed to all recognition & played around with, very annoying at the least.

Not to mention the distortion of facts and their use out of context.....and then there are polls, statistics.... rolleyes
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 20:03

I said before on here, I joined a forum some years ago to read up & get information about my diesel hack.I realised very quickly that it was run by teenagers. Now I'm a very Liberal & opened minded man, but it was an eye opener how they communicated to each other, in code/text speak swearing openly.

Your diesel hack wouldn't be a Vauxhall, would it?

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 20:16

Why? chinny
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Text talk - 22/11/2016 20:35

Interesting thing... you all know, I'm sure, my views on text abbreviations - but there's research that suggests it's *not* 'English' but is a parallel language in and of itself, and that its use doesn't affect the user's use of English (and in some cases can improve the use of English).

Nonetheless, it's an abomination unto Nuggan and its users should be hunted down and roundly abused.
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: Text talk - 23/11/2016 20:16

Why? chinny

Apologies for the late reply, your description sounds like a Vauxhall forum I was on for a short while back in my Chavalier loving phase.

Re: Text talk - 23/11/2016 23:24

Aye your right Jimbob. As I said I'm very open minded,but it was just ludicrous the way the young lads spoke to each other, & they were meant to be mates. It got to the stage where, on a Saturday night if I had a few nippy sweeties in me, I would dial up the forum & play.... laugh Yes I should've known better, but I just couldn't help myself. Entertainment for a sad old git syndrome.. laugh Ach I was never rude or really bad, but I certainly challenged their train of thought & got into some of their minds.

In the end it was quite ridiculous & I pulled the plug.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK