Fiat Coupe Club UK

private plate advice

Posted By: kev_megadon

private plate advice - 04/05/2017 17:41

Hopefully someone is more knowledgeable than me on the subject. I had a real cheap focus collected, as scrap, from my drive today whilst I was at work. The guy who collected it told my father in law that the plate was probably worth a bit and I should look at selling it. Its just a normal reg plate and I cant see for the life of me why its really worth much, but I ran it through 2 sites and the one said I would get £500 after all fees deducted and the other said £750.
Now, to get to my question, does anyone know if theres anything I can do to try and sell it? as the car went to scrap today before I was any the wiser. Am I just bang out of luck or can I some how keep the plate to sell despite scrapping being imminent?
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: private plate advice - 04/05/2017 21:00

I'm pretty sure the vehicle you want to transfer the plate from has to have a current mot.
So, you'll have to get the car back and get a fresh ticket on it before you can transfer it.
Is that do-able for less than £500?

Re: private plate advice - 04/05/2017 21:22

Nah forget it then. I'm not even sure I can get the car back to be honest. Ohwell, can't win them all.
Posted By: andyps

Re: private plate advice - 04/05/2017 22:37

May be worth a quick call to the DVLA as long as you still have the registration document, I think it is possible to transfer a plate off a car that has a recently expired MOT.
Posted By: Theresa

Re: private plate advice - 05/05/2017 19:56

Yes, the car has to have an MOT or have expired within the last 12 months. I know this as I still have my private plate on my old Coupe and was panicking trying to get the £80 together last year before the MOT expired, but tweeted DVLA as I'd heard the rules had changed and they said the above.
So, I have until this November to get the plate transferred to my current Coupe.

However, if the car does need to have been sorned and it is supposed to be available for inspection if required, which could be a problem now it's been scrapped.

Re: private plate advice - 06/05/2017 10:27

Thanks for the replies. Ive decided to just give it up now anyway. Ive also come to the conclusion that perhaps the websites offering to sell your plate value them high to convince you to put them up as they then have nothing to lose.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK