|
0 registered members (),
1,286
guests, and 2
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
HIDs - are illegal !
#1586321
09/10/2016 19:25
09/10/2016 19:25
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
I know HID conversions are popular mods to our cars.
However I have just read an article in May 2016 Car Mechanics that states categorically that they are illegal and the oft quoted get out of "headlight raising/lowering" and "washers" only applies to bulbs that have been certified as ECE98 E-compliant. No HID conversions have such a certification.
The article goes on to quote an insurance company that states such an addition (of HIDs) will invalidate the cover.
Food for thought ?
|
|
|
Re: HIDs - are illegal !
[Re: ]
#1586350
10/10/2016 10:11
10/10/2016 10:11
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
The article I read touches on the MOT. It states that the MOT test does not really cover "type approval" issues and conversions usually pass the MOT for that reason. However HID conversions would not pass an IVA test because they are illegal.
In essence you are unlikely to have problems but in the event of proper scrutiny , say by an insurance company after an accindent, if you have HIDs fitted you are illegal regardless of a valid MOT.
There was also some comment about the mag contacting eBay sellers pointing out this situation and getting them to add the tag "not legal for road use" to their ads.
I'll try to find an online link to the article.
|
|
|
Re: HIDs - are illegal !
[Re: ]
#1586351
10/10/2016 10:26
10/10/2016 10:26
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
I found THIS article online which covers the MOT and the law and which seems to reiterate the point about passing the MOT and still being illegal. Other results from my Google search showed similar from the likes of AutoExpress etc BTW - I'm just the messenger :-)
|
|
|
Re: HIDs - are illegal !
[Re: one4seven]
#1586364
10/10/2016 14:08
10/10/2016 14:08
|
Brigham
Unregistered
|
Brigham
Unregistered
|
Had them on 'Rosa' for over 8 years now, only on the dipped side, focused beam, same HID and Ballast, passed numerous MoT's. Also got them recorded on my insurance as a modification, along with the Flea chip, stainless steel exhaust, K&N panel filter.
|
|
|
Re: HIDs - are illegal !
[Re: ]
#1589556
30/11/2016 11:25
30/11/2016 11:25
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
I have just read another article (Classic Car Weekly) that reiterates the illegality of hids and led replacement bulbs without corresponding type approved housings. This article mentions that one company selling hids has been shut down !
There seems to be an increasing movement to enforce this law. I wonder how long before cars such as ours are subject to roadside checks ?
Meanwhile I have tried Nightbreakers and to me the hids are better to my eyes.
|
|
|
Re: HIDs - are illegal !
[Re: ]
#1589575
30/11/2016 17:43
30/11/2016 17:43
|
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 869 Germany
neil_r
Enjoying the ride
|
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 869
Germany
|
HID should be better as the light ouptut is about twice as high. However, these Ebay kits are not approved for use in Europe (also not the States either I believe) in an area where approvals are essential. Not being tested, they are an unknown quantity from the point of view of safety. The line has to be drawn somewhere ...
1997 20V 2000 V6 manual S-Type and 2011 5.0 XKR 2016 Tucson 1.6T AWD 2018 Mazda2 GT
|
|
|
|