For sale - Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo Plus - Registered on 1 July 2000 as a German 'BFPO' import (basically, our armed forces had a habit of buying cars at discounted Euro prices, bringing them back to Blighty and moving them on at a profit)
This is going to be a difficult one to price, as it isn't original. Its had a replacement engine, paintwork and various bits of re-furb, which is normally a negative influence on price, but as with most Pluses that I sell, this one's a bit different....
the straightforward stuff first:
- 58,948 miles
- MOT to 12/06/2018
- Airbag Recaros
- Full service history, most recently with Motormech, but also with Midland Car Servicing and Torque Italia
- Ink Black paintwork - very good condition, with the exception of the two small paintwork issues mentioned in "bad points" below.
- Three previous owners
OK - now for some detail....
Purchased by the last owner in April 2014 at about 55k miles. The previous owner purchased it from Solo Italia in March 2011 at 51,245 miles. The following is lifted from the advert in 2011, but all of which still applies now:
- 2.75" Blueflame exhaust with 200-cell sports cat
- Black leather flip-up armrest with matching red stitching - looks very "factory"
- Alpine CDE-125BT head unit with iPod connection in the glovebox
- Grayston 12" Avanti 70 series map light installed on driver's 'A' pillar ( we can supply a fresh 'A' pillar trim if this isn't required)
- Clifford Concept 500 alarm system
- VERY clean Plus wheels, refurbed by John at MCS in Jan 2014
- Four good tyres - Toyo T1-R
- All four brake calipers refurbed by Allwood Engineering in July 2013
- HIDs with slimline ballasts
- brand new fuel cap fitted in Oct 2011
- powder-coated slam panel fitted Aug 2012 by Joe at FCSS
- gloss-finish centre console fitted by FCSS
- CoverCraft high quality tailored car cover, with the car's registration embedded in the fabric (otherwise I'd have had it for myself!)
It has definitely had paintwork at some point in its past, but other than the points below, it looks like it was a very good job.
In late 2011, Solo Italia commented that the oil pressure was running a bit low (1.5 bar hot). The owner kept an eye on it and it was back with Solo Italia again in late 2012 after the oil filter came loose. A new filter was fitted, but soon afterwards, there was enough blue smoke to suggest that all was not well.
The owner contacted Barbz at Torque Italia, who examined the car and eventually suggested that a new engine and turbo was probably more economical than a rebuild.
This is when things get slightly unusual, as most owners simply source a decent secondhand lump from one of the specialists. However, in April 2013, Barbz worked with John at Midland Car Servicing in Leicestershire to source a brand new
engine from Fiat (see photos). As it transpires, this was the last 20v lump available anywhere at the time. At the same time as fitting the new engine, the following was done:-
- Full silicone coolant hose set
- Oil cooler and pipes
- New clutch
- Skimmed flywheel
- Aircon re-gas
- fresh gearbox oil
- All aux belts
- new turbo (Torque Italia "stage 1")
Therefore, the engine, turbo and clutch of this car have only done about 5,000 miles - possibly the most future-proof of any Coupe for sale recently. The engine still has the original grey paint on the block - it is spotless! (see the photos)
The under-bonnet area is already VERY clean, (check out the coolant expansion tank!) but it will be cleaned further and will be pretty much spotless
The silver Plus Grille is an exceptional rarity - possibly only the second or third I've ever seen (IIRC, they are from the Euro-only 1.8-litre Plus)
OK - the bad points (and as usual, I'm being highly critical here....)
- The new paint on the bootlid has reacted in a few places - one in the middle of the bootlid (see picture) and a couple of smaller areas along the top edge.
- The driver's side front bumper lip has been touched against something solid and has cracked the paint, but it is barely visible
- Two of the small location posts under the sills for the sideskirts have been bent backwards
- There is no Plus luggage net
- The headlamps have started to go slightly dull on the upper faces - this will probably polish out
- The driver's door handle has a light scuff on one edge - if this is an issue for the purchaser, I'll throw in a good replacement
- Personally, I'm not keen on the interior "embellishments" (map light, arm rest etc) but I'll supply an 'A' pillar cover if the buyer wants to lose the map light
- Only the silver and blue keys - no red key (although I've never know any Coupe to need its red key
er.... that's it
OK - some pictures - these are from the day I bought the car (09/09/2017), with zero work having been done. Before sale, the car will have the following done:
- Cambelt, and water pump replacement. It has only done 5,000 miles on the replacement engine, but the beslts are three years old, so we want to be 100% confident everything is mechanically perfect.
- The car will be thoroughly cleaned and a full polish and detail performed for the new owner - it will look significantly cleaner than it does now!
- If the new owner requires, we will sort the paintwork issues (see pricing below)
The paintwork blemish on the bootlid
New engine and engine number
OK - the price. As I mentioned at the top of the post, normally an replacement engine is a negative point. However, the supply cost of the engine alone was £2,500, on top of which there were a lot of other parts replaced and I presume, a decent labour bill. This means that the important mechanicals have only done about 5,000 miles and the price reflects this.
The car has clearly been owned by a series of true Coupe enthusiasts and has been worked on at all of the major Coupe specialists. There is a folder full of paperwork and invoices to go with the car, as well as a few items of memorabilia.
There are two prices - one with the paintwork sorted, the other as it stands.
£9,995 with the paintwork blemishes on the boot and the cracked front lip sorted and the car fully mopped, detailed and waxed.
£8,995 with the paintwork as it stands (but still polished up and detailed)
At either price, the cambelt, aux belts and water pump will be done.
Final note - this is NOT a Motormech car sale - this is me selling a Coupe that I've acquired, but I'm keeping at Motormech (and that I daren't ask the wife if I can keep....