» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (yellow20vt, Edinburgh), 158 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,641
Posts1,341,449
Members1,814
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,304
PeteP 21,524
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,853
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Company car insurance #521525
15/01/2008 01:44
15/01/2008 01:44

M
mottles
Unregistered
mottles
Unregistered
M

Im covered to drive anybodys car with the registered owners permission as are most over 25 yr olds who have there own policy...

My question is.. am i covered to drive my girlfriends company car? As the registered owner is the lease company they strictly speaking they cant give me permission.. but the registered driver can.

Last edited by mottles; 15/01/2008 01:45. Reason: fat fingers
Re: Company car insurance [Re: ] #521798
15/01/2008 13:23
15/01/2008 13:23
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
 Quote:
Im covered to drive anybodys car with the registered owners permission as are most over 25 yr olds who have there own policy...

Can I just urge people to double-check their policy documents before assuming this. The companies started to remove this type of cover several years ago and not everyone is aware that they may not have that cover now.

Secondly, the cover is *Road Traffic Act Only* in most cases, not even third party cover. The insurance covers driving another vehicle in an emergency, not for commuting or regular use. Again, this is something people fall foul of on a regular basis, usually when they try to claim.

Finally, given what I've mentioned in para 2, I'd suggest you need a manager or similar to give written authorisation that in an emergency they would give you permission to drive the vehicle on your own risk (insurance).

Hope this helps?

[Linked Image]
Re: Company car insurance [Re: stan] #521813
15/01/2008 14:30
15/01/2008 14:30

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E

with my old company car I was allowed to add somebody to the insurance who lived in the same household!

Re: Company car insurance [Re: stan] #522339
15/01/2008 23:21
15/01/2008 23:21

M
mottles
Unregistered
mottles
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: stan
 Quote:

Can I just urge people to double-check their policy documents before assuming this. The companies started to remove this type of cover several years ago and not everyone is aware that they may not have that cover now.

Secondly, the cover is *Road Traffic Act Only* in most cases, not even third party cover. The insurance covers driving another vehicle in an emergency, not for commuting or regular use. Again, this is something people fall foul of on a regular basis, usually when they try to claim.

Finally, given what I've mentioned in para 2, I'd suggest you need a manager or similar to give written authorisation that in an emergency they would give you permission to drive the vehicle on your own risk (insurance).

Hope this helps?

Cheers for that stan.. didnt realise that was such a misconception.. ive checked my policy and it does seem to be 3rd party which im glad as i requested that specifically..

As for a letter from the manager.. im girl friend uses the car through a lease company which leases it to her business.. of which she is a director..

Would i need permission from her or from the lease company?

Re: Company car insurance [Re: ] #522362
15/01/2008 23:47
15/01/2008 23:47
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
I'd suspect it would be from her, but now we're getting outside my field of expertise, if you know what I mean? \:D

[Linked Image]
Re: Company car insurance [Re: stan] #522823
16/01/2008 13:48
16/01/2008 13:48
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
I think I'm going to have to disagree with you twice on this one, Stan.

I would imagine the lease company would be p*ssed off about anybody driving their car on 3rd party insurance and, as they are the legal owner of the vehicle, they'd have to give their permission for somebody else to drive it.

Secondly, what's "Road traffic act only" insurance? The RTA specifies that drivers must be insured against 3rd party risks ... which is what 3rd party only insurance is. Insurance companies do tell people the the 3rd party extension is for emergencies only, but I've never yet found anything in one of my insurance policies (which form the contract) describing what an 'emergency' is or placing any restrictions, other than having the owner's permission, on using it.

Basically, while insurance companies would prefer you not to use the 3rd party extension for day-to-day use you could and, if you had to make a claim, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, unless they could make a good case for you being the principle user of the vehicle.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: Company car insurance [Re: AndrewR] #522832
16/01/2008 14:20
16/01/2008 14:20
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
Ah well, a good point regarding the lease company, and as I said it was getting beyond my remit/knowledge base \:D

Road Traffic Act only insurance is not the same as third party cover, but it could well be me showing my age. It was certainly an issue several years ago, as it gave the bare minimum of cover to be able to drive a motor vehicle on the road without offering some of the cover of third party policies. I'll need to do some digging to check what the differences are.

Edit: Found it! \:D

I thought I was going mad, thankfully I'm not! I note that the document says this type of cover is rarely issued.

Last edited by stan; 16/01/2008 14:23. Reason: references

[Linked Image]
Re: Company car insurance [Re: stan] #522925
16/01/2008 16:54
16/01/2008 16:54
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Just picking up the first insurance policy I could find, which happened to by one of my bike ones it has this to say:

Originally Posted By: My bike insurer
Provided that:
1) your certificate of motor insurance allows it
2) your own motorcycle exceeds 349cc
3) you are not in the motor trade or car hire business
then we will also insure you for your liability to others while you are riding a motorcycle you do not own and which you have not hired under a hire-purchase or leasing agreement. You must have the owner's permission. We will not insure you if you no longer have your motorcycle or if it has been damaged and it would cost more than its value to repair. We will not insure loss or damage to the motorcycle you are riding.

And that's it. Nothing about emergency use only, nothing about any limitation of 3rd party claims (the rest of the policy limits a single claim to £20,000,000 in property damage and £25,000,000 in total).

I'm also a bit puzzled by your link, as I don't recall the RTA ever putting a financial limit on what was meant by 3rd party losses, so I don't see why the value of a claim should be limited to £25,000.

Dear monos, a secret truth.