» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Edinburgh, Wal_S), 224 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,578
Posts1,340,909
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,545
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,748
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1307361
17/01/2012 20:52
17/01/2012 20:52

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
Do I detect a whiff of apparently undetected sarcasm?

Ah yeah, well um, um, um, I knew he was being sarcastic all along m'lud.

Honest...

coat

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307364
17/01/2012 20:57
17/01/2012 20:57
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
Say new more Jim, under the Terrorism Act 2006, Shiney has no right in law to know the evidence against him.

Quick, ship him out to Guantanamo before they close it, that'll rid him of his fag habit!

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307366
17/01/2012 20:59
17/01/2012 20:59
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: oxfordSteve
...that'll rid him of his fag habit!

I couldn't possibly comment.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307367
17/01/2012 21:02
17/01/2012 21:02

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

I thought he was held in Belmarsh without charge or trial, before being released when the bleeding heart liberals pointed out that such a course of action was illegal.

If only the liberals would argue that it's more relevant to count the cost of keeping this creature alive, fed, watered and warm.

Maybe they should have let the Americans have him, I hear there is an available suite at Guantamo Bay...

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307368
17/01/2012 21:03
17/01/2012 21:03

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

Oooh that's spooky OxfordSteve and Shiny both had Guantanamo Bay on their minds at that same time...

wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307369
17/01/2012 21:07
17/01/2012 21:07
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
I think you'll find he's now under a (slightly less illegal) control order, and under house arrest, so I doubt we are feeding him any more.

Liberals are so shyte aren't they, insisting that the state can't bang people up without any actual evidence that has been proven in court.
They should be allowed to just lock 'em up and throw away the key on a whim. Fortunately, that appears to be what Ken Clarke is planning.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307371
17/01/2012 21:09
17/01/2012 21:09
Pistonheads
B
Brewster Offline
Forum is my life
Brewster  Offline
Forum is my life
B

Pistonheads
I can't believe how much sleep I'm going to lose when we can lock up those advocating terrorism against their host natio.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307374
17/01/2012 21:13
17/01/2012 21:13

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

I think you'll find he's now under a (slightly less illegal) control order, and under house arrest, so I doubt we are feeding him any more.

Yeah you're right, there is absolutely no chance that he and his extended family are living off the state.

I mean, a hard working fellow like that will obviously have time for a 9 to 5 in between hate speeches, and lest we forget numerous prayers during the day.

Or possibly counting the £170,000 in cash police found at his home address...

coffee

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: barnacle] #1307405
17/01/2012 22:17
17/01/2012 22:17
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Originally Posted By: doug20vt
surely it is more important to protect the rights of the overwhelming majority of decent law abiding citizen rather then the vile minority

What if the majority change their opinion of you? It has to have due process. The state cannot have the power to wilfully dispose of people it finds awkward. Regardless of whether the public view his as bad or not. If he then the systems in place will deal with him.

Now whether I think those systems are suitable is another mater.

Originally Posted By: barnacle

And that is *exactly* why we should be punctilious in our application of legal justice to him, lest we descend to his level.

Exactly as I said earlier.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307437
17/01/2012 23:21
17/01/2012 23:21
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Liberals are so shyte aren't they,

Not often we agree OS wink

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307439
17/01/2012 23:22
17/01/2012 23:22
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
A
Azzura Offline
Enjoying the ride
Azzura  Offline
Enjoying the ride
A

Aberdeenshire,Scotland
this is a guy who utterly despises our infidel way of life and who will actively seek to recruit other lunatics into organisations who seek to actively harm individuals in both our country and abroad, yet at the same time taking full advantage of the benefits systems and the legal protection afforded by our state

this softly softly approach taken by certain individuals within our country and backed up by the ECHR will make this country a haven for lunatics like this and while its all very well to take the moral high ground and say the individuals rights should be protected surely it is more important to protect the rights of the overwhelming majority of decent law abiding citizen rather then the vile minority of those terrorists who come in to this country

Thereby hangs a fundamental misunderstanding of what is happening here. If ONE individual's rights in law are not protected, NONE of our rights in law are protected.

Yesterday Sprint Blue 20VT,today Denim Blue TT225
Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1307442
17/01/2012 23:30
17/01/2012 23:30

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

this is a guy who utterly despises our infidel way of life and who will actively seek to recruit other lunatics into organisations who seek to actively harm individuals in both our country and abroad, yet at the same time taking full advantage of the benefits systems and the legal protection afforded by our state

this softly softly approach taken by certain individuals within our country and backed up by the ECHR will make this country a haven for lunatics like this and while its all very well to take the moral high ground and say the individuals rights should be protected surely it is more important to protect the rights of the overwhelming majority of decent law abiding citizen rather then the vile minority of those terrorists who come in to this country

So what action are you advocating and based on what evidence?

i am advocating deporting a man who supports murder and terrorist activities, do you seriously want a bloke like this in our country, do you put his 'civil rights' before the safety of decent people, lets remember this guy activily encourages and promotes terrorist activity, the aim of which is ultimately to blow up innocent people, i'm sorry but lets be real here and get this lunatic out of our country

Sedicivalvole, i am not suggesting that we rid our country of those who express an opionion which is seen as outwith the social norm, but i am suggesting that we get rid of those who incite and encourage murder and terrorist activity

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: Azzura] #1307445
17/01/2012 23:35
17/01/2012 23:35

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted By: Azzura

Thereby hangs a fundamental misunderstanding of what is happening here. If ONE individual's rights in law are not protected, NONE of our rights in law are protected.

it is not a fundamental misunderstanding at all, it's a desire to rid the country of foreign lunatics who want to disrupt and cause chaos in our society through ultimately wanting to murder people, i won't apologise for that desire at all, by deporting lunatics like this no decent individual's rights are affected at all, so i'm afraid that statement you made is just not true

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307448
17/01/2012 23:52
17/01/2012 23:52
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty

So what action are you advocating and based on what evidence?

i am advocating deporting a man who supports murder and terrorist activities, do you seriously want a bloke like this in our country, do you put his 'civil rights' before the safety of decent people, lets remember this guy activily encourages and promotes terrorist activity, the aim of which is ultimately to blow up innocent people, i'm sorry but lets be real here and get this lunatic out of our country

Sedicivalvole, i am not suggesting that we rid our country of those who express an opionion which is seen as outwith the social norm, but i am suggesting that we get rid of those who incite and encourage murder and terrorist activity

You seem to have missed the "on what evidence" bit. Sorry to be an old stick-in-the-mud, but if we had sufficient evidence to convict him, then convict him we would.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307457
18/01/2012 00:05
18/01/2012 00:05
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
According to an article I read this evening, the advice given by the security services when he arrived was that he was "All talk", and did Not a constitute a threat.

So, to charge him now would tell us one of two things. Either back then the security forces were useless then, OR they are making it all up now. Or both.

Any way, if it comes to court, MI5/6/Bodie & Doyle will look pretty stupid.
Which is why it wont come to court, and why the govt is so keen to ship him out to Jordan (the country I assume, not the big-jugged bint).

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307466
18/01/2012 00:36
18/01/2012 00:36
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
A
Azzura Offline
Enjoying the ride
Azzura  Offline
Enjoying the ride
A

Aberdeenshire,Scotland

it is not a fundamental misunderstanding at all, it's a desire to rid the country of foreign lunatics who want to disrupt and cause chaos in our society through ultimately wanting to murder people, i won't apologise for that desire at all, by deporting lunatics like this no decent individual's rights are affected at all, so i'm afraid that statement you made is just not true

So your desire to act without evidence and bypass all of our laws does not equate to a fundamental misunderstanding that the rule and protection of law must apply to everyone individually before it can be said to apply to us all collectively? Perhaps the prefix "funda" was superfluous.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: Azzura] #1307480
18/01/2012 01:27
18/01/2012 01:27

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

this guy is not even a British national, he is just hiding out here, taking all he can get from the system for him and his family

quite frankly its saps like you with your namby pamby approach to things that make this country an easy target for lunatics

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307511
18/01/2012 08:43
18/01/2012 08:43
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
Guys like me??

Well clearly I am a threat to the state and should be locked up for these thought crimes.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307514
18/01/2012 09:13
18/01/2012 09:13

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

i was responding to azzura's comment, not yours

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307517
18/01/2012 09:19
18/01/2012 09:19
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
A
Azzura Offline
Enjoying the ride
Azzura  Offline
Enjoying the ride
A

Aberdeenshire,Scotland
this guy is not even a British national, he is just hiding out here, taking all he can get from the system for him and his family

quite frankly its saps like you with your namby pamby approach to things that make this country an easy target for lunatics

I just happen to think that our system works when it is applied and that it has to be applied to all equally to make it work. If there exists evidence lawfully obtained that the man has committed crimes he can be prosecuted here for them, if the Jordanians have evidence lawfully obtained and give the appropriate binding legal assurances that they will not use evidence unlawfully obtained, he can be prosecuted there. It is very simple.

Frankly, I consider the ill educated xenophobic rantings of people who wish to ignore or destroy the well founded legal protections that all in our society should enjoy simply to satisfy prejudice , a far,far greater threat to our society than any potential or actual terrorist.

Thanks for the early morning belly laugh though, "namby pamby sap" is so far turned around from the usual descriptions of my actions as to make a refreshing change.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307524
18/01/2012 09:45

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H

The eventual outcome of your thinking Doug is well illustrated in the film "V for Vendetta".

Ross

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: Azzura] #1307525

D
doug20vt
Unregistered
doug20vt
Unregistered
D

why don't you invite this guy round for tea at yours, as he's clearly just a poor misunderstood individual and you clearly don't mind supporting the 'human rights' of those who would seek to undermine and destroy our way of life, those who support and sponsor terrorist organisations

you will probably just dismiss that as another rant from an ill educated xenophobe

although if you consider the rantings from myself and the like as being more of a threat to our society than an 'actual terrorist' then it just reiterates my early opinion of your attitude

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307529
18/01/2012 10:01
18/01/2012 10:01
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
why don't you invite this guy round for tea at yours, as he's clearly just a poor misunderstood individual and you clearly don't mind supporting the 'human rights' of those who would seek to undermine and destroy our way of life, those who support and sponsor terrorist organisations

Nobody is saying he's a nice person, but you can't apply right based on who's nice or who you think deserves them. Rights have to apply to everybody or else they are useless.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307534
18/01/2012 10:11
18/01/2012 10:11
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty

you will probably just dismiss that as another rant from an ill educated xenophobe

although if you consider the rantings from myself and the like as being more of a threat to our society than an 'actual terrorist' then it just reiterates my early opinion of your attitude

I'm not sure where you get the idea that anyone in this thread supports, likes or approves of Abu Qatada. The only point being made is that in order to convict him (or anyone) of an offence, you have to establish their guilt through a process of law. Without ensuring that this process is thorough, just and objective, there is nothing to stop others (you, perhaps, or me or my dear old Mum) from being punished for something that they are only guilty of because someone reckons they are.

Seriously, you have made a lot of allegations about this bloke, but how much evidence have you actually seen that wasn't filtered by the editor of a newspaper or TV newsroom, written by someone unaccountable on a website or told you down the pub by a mate? I'm not saying for a moment that he doesn't hold or express views we find repugnant and unacceptable, but in grown-up world, we are responsible for all our actions and meting out superhero fiery "justice" is something we need to leave behind when we're 14.

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307553
18/01/2012 11:17
18/01/2012 11:17

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

Well clearly I am a threat to the state and should be locked up for these thought crimes.

Tell us what it was like though wont you Steve...

wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307570
18/01/2012 12:17
18/01/2012 12:17

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P

that'll rid him of his fag habit!

Oh i don't know about that, he does drive a yellow car is suspiciously friendly with Homodan laugh

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307579
18/01/2012 12:44
18/01/2012 12:44

S
shinyshoes
Unregistered
shinyshoes
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: proccy
Oh i don't know about that, he does drive a yellow car is suspiciously friendly with Homodan laugh

And Marco... wink

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: Azzura] #1307584
18/01/2012 13:01
18/01/2012 13:01
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Originally Posted By: Azzura

Frankly, I consider the ill educated xenophobic rantings of people who wish to ignore or destroy the well founded legal protections that all in our society should enjoy simply to satisfy prejudice , a far,far greater threat to our society than any potential or actual terrorist.

That is the thing that most alarms me. We have spent hundreds of years fighting and pushing for what we have now.

Then for the last 50 years we have had a semblance of a fair society. Now people who have grown up in or around that period either ignore or forget, the warnings of history as to how things were and could so easily be again.

We must protect what prior generations have fought so hard to achieve. It still bends the mind that human rights are not enshrined in this country and could be legally removed.

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: ] #1307593
18/01/2012 13:27
18/01/2012 13:27
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
Protected in a well constructed bill of rights perhaps. Weren't we promised one by this government when they slithered into office?

Re: Another proud moment for Human Rights... [Re: oxfordSteve] #1307595
18/01/2012 13:30
18/01/2012 13:30
Northumberland
A
AndrewR Offline
I AM a Coop
AndrewR  Offline
I AM a Coop
A

Northumberland
Protected in a well constructed bill of rights perhaps. Weren't we promised one by this government when they slithered into office?

Given the amount of good it seems to be doing the home of extraordinary rendition, 'enhanced' interrogation techniques and TLD censoring I am, on this occasion, not sure we're missing out on that much.

Dear monos, a secret truth.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5