» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Echodelta, Patryk20VT, 1 invisible), 189 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,576
Posts1,340,889
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,545
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,743
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: in or out [Re: Roadking] #1577377
17/06/2016 19:22
17/06/2016 19:22
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: Roadking
Having an Empire and plundering it's commodities created more wealth. We survived losing that.

Interesting comparison, RK. I'll admit, I'm struggling to find many levels on which it can be applied!

Re: in or out [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1577382
17/06/2016 20:09
17/06/2016 20:09
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Originally Posted By: Jim_Clennell
Having an Empire and plundering it's commodities created more wealth. We survived losing that.

Interesting comparison, RK. I'll admit, I'm struggling to find many levels on which it can be applied!

Yes - because the 70's were really fun in the UK with "Great" Britain making rubbish cars (when we weren't on strike). If that's what we can look forward to, I'm heading back to NL...

I think it's interesting on the news today that China (Beijing) have ruled against iPhone design. These markets outside Europe we think are aching to buy our products really aren't.

Re: in or out [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1577402
18/06/2016 10:11
18/06/2016 10:11
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants
Originally Posted By: MeanRedSpider

Yes - because the 70's were really fun in the UK with "Great" Britain making rubbish cars (when we weren't on strike). If that's what we can look forward to, I'm heading back to NL...

I think it's interesting on the news today that China (Beijing) have ruled against iPhone design. These markets outside Europe we think are aching to buy our products really aren't.

Ah the 1970sBM. Before Maggie.

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577403
18/06/2016 10:19
18/06/2016 10:19

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

Yup, the one good thing Thatcher did was kill off rubbish British motors, course she pretty much destroyed all UK manufacturing in the process.

Re: in or out [Re: ] #1577404
18/06/2016 10:28
18/06/2016 10:28
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Originally Posted By: FreakinFreak
Yup, the one good thing Thatcher did was kill off rubbish British motors, course she pretty much destroyed all UK manufacturing in the process.

From what I experienced of it at some very traditional British companies (Royal Ordnance and Colchester Lathe) she put it out of its misery. At both companies, as a summer student, I was told by union people that I couldn't do simple jobs because they were jobs belonging to someone else. We got what we deserved.

Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577406
18/06/2016 11:01
18/06/2016 11:01
UK
Downhillryder Offline
Making a profit
Downhillryder  Offline
Making a profit

UK
Surprised the debate lasted this long before the Maggie bashing started. That's the same attitude the A.A Gill piece was arguing from the other side.

Re: in or out [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1577415
18/06/2016 13:52
18/06/2016 13:52

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B

From what I experienced of it at some very traditional British companies (Royal Ordnance and Colchester Lathe) she put it out of its misery. At both companies, as a summer student, I was told by union people that I couldn't do simple jobs because they were jobs belonging to someone else. We got what we deserved.

Ironically this still exists in some European countries (hi France, I'm looking at you)

Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577421
18/06/2016 14:20
18/06/2016 14:20
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Yes - was talking to my brother about this (has a French wife and home too) - apparently the French have over 100 days stocks of petrol - they are determined this time to have their "Maggie" moment.

Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577427
18/06/2016 15:34
18/06/2016 15:34
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

The A A Gill piece was typical of his small minded London centric thinking (try finding a restaurant review [his main job] where he has actually ventured outside of his tiny comfort zone) where he uses his own opinion to suggest that everyone else is the same as him. I am in favour of leaving and cannot see anything about his description of what I am that reflects reality. I very much doubt that James Dyson sees himself as the same sort of inventor/engineer as Gill portrays him as.

As for this comment "Those oldies, they don’t know if they’re coming or going, what with those newfangled mobile phones and kids on Tinder and Grindr" Gill is in no position to criticise as he does not have a Twitter account, so another example of him projecting his own self onto others. Just as an example to prove him wrong, my 84 year old Dad is also in favour of leaving the EU and mentions it on Facebook and Twitter posted from his very much used smartphone.

It is an article entirely without substance, no positive reason to remain based on anything factual. By contrast the opposing view put forward by Rod Liddle in the same Sunday Times article was well written and provided a good factual basis with intelligently argued points.

Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577428
18/06/2016 15:54
18/06/2016 15:54
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
I can't find the Rod Liddle article you reference andy - any chance of a link? Although, in fairness, I regard Rod Liddle as just as unpleasant as A A Gill.

I wouldn't be too cross about the Gill piece - he is generally a very nasty piece of work. What he does quite well here is to observe a certain stereotype among Leave voters. That isn't saying all in the Leave camp are the same, just that there are some people who will be voting to leave for these reasons.

My main problem with this referendum is not whether people vote one way or another, but that they understand the issues and don't vote under some cheaply-peddled misapprehension.

Re: in or out [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1577429
18/06/2016 16:05
18/06/2016 16:05
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds

My main problem with this referendum is not whether people vote one way or another, but that they understand the issues and don't vote under some cheaply-peddled misapprehension.

Spot on with this, Jim

Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577430
18/06/2016 16:11
18/06/2016 16:11
The Faringdon Folly
O
oxfordSteve Offline
Forum is my job
oxfordSteve  Offline
Forum is my job
O

The Faringdon Folly
A well written piece by Rod Liddle?? Are you sure?

Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577432
18/06/2016 16:17
18/06/2016 16:17

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

My current bête noire of cheaply-peddled misapprehension is 'so the Germans are just going to stop selling us their BMWs and Mercs, are they? I don't think so".

With the Netherlands bristling for a Nexit and the possibility of other nations doing the same, what is at stake is a lot greater than Germany's UK export trade. There will be no cosy trade deals.

Re: in or out [Re: Jim_Clennell] #1577447
18/06/2016 19:50
18/06/2016 19:50
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

I can't find the Rod Liddle article you reference andy - any chance of a link? Although, in fairness, I regard Rod Liddle as just as unpleasant as A A Gill.

I wouldn't be too cross about the Gill piece - he is generally a very nasty piece of work. What he does quite well here is to observe a certain stereotype among Leave voters. That isn't saying all in the Leave camp are the same, just that there are some people who will be voting to leave for these reasons.

I guess the link will be behind a paywall but it seems I have managed to find it and pasted it below wink

A A Gill doesn't worry me or make me cross, it is too clear what he is like, as you say, a nasty piece of work it seems. Whilst some brexit supporters may be as he describes his suggestion that all are is completely wrong.

Fully agree with your final paragraph Jim - my decision is very considered and based on a spectrum of opinions including those from people I would not normally agree with including the late Tony Benn.

Rod Liddle wrote:
Quote:
A relative of mine believes that Angela Merkel was created from the frozen semen of Adolf Hitler in a secret Soviet laboratory, nine years after the end of the Second World War. Further, that the European Union itself is the creation of Satan and his infernal imps, an assertion she does not expect to be taken metaphorically.

She has enjoined me, via a series of text messages — always marked “URGENT!!!” — to share these revelations with you, so you vote the right way on June 23. There we are then, love: job done. Incidentally, these messages often refer to a document called the “Mass Trick Treaty” and insist that Jesus Christ, had he been alive on earth in 1992, definitely would not have signed it.

It is a measure of the current level of debate leading up to the referendum that my rellie’s opinions on the matter do not seem markedly more deranged than the stuff being spouted by our most prominent campaigners. We have been hit by a storm of hyperbolic idiocies, a moronic fugue of absurd claim and counterclaim. If we leave, we will be bankrupted overnight and our homes will be worthless. A week’s break in San Gimignano will require the sort of bureaucratic rigmarole that today attends to a trip to Pyongyang. Oh, and there will be world war, nukes flying hither and thither, Putin smirking and rubbing his hands behind the arras. That stuff all came from a man, David Cameron, who only a few months ago asserted that he had an “open mind” on whether we should leave or stay. What, an open mind on financial ruination and global annihilation?

By the same token, the flailing “leave” campaign is guilty of its own manifest stupidities. No, if we leave the EU we will not immediately be transformed into Switzerland, with its gnomes and suspiciously pristine mountains. Trade deals take a long time to work out — why deny it? Our biggest companies probably will take a hit in the short term. There may well be job losses. It is crass and misguided to castigate the Institute for Fiscal Studies as an evil agent of Brussels simply for trying to estimate the likely cost to the UK of a Brexit victory.

I am for out, for a whole bunch of reasons, most of which are at the least open to dispute. Only one is unequivocal and, I would suggest, incontestable, and I will come to that later. Let’s deal with the other stuff first. I am unhappy about levels of immigration to this country. I accept that immigration from EU member states provides a temporary boost to the economy (which is why George Osborne likes it so much), but it has been ruinous for the poorest Brits. Lower earners have seen a reduction in wages as a consequence of cheap labour arriving from what we once called eastern Europe. For the better off it’s terrific, of course: that basement kitchen extension can be excavated at a fraction of the going rate, and think of all the money we’re saving on nannies now we’ve got Svetlana, who does it all for virtually nothing. And with a PhD from Brno University! But immigration widens still further the gap between the haves and have-nots.

That said, I don’t think there are enormous cultural problems occasioned by immigration from the EU, certainly not from the Poles, who are almost more like us than we are, if you get my meaning. They’re like us 50 years ago, or maybe 30: socially conservative, believing in the nation state, a work ethic and, paradoxically, not convinced about immigration. The non-EU migrants? Yes, it’s a worry, but we’re at least insulated from Merkel’s unpopular, unsustainable and patently insane conviction that we should open every European door to a vast influx of people who do not share our aspirations or culture, among which may be a small number of maniacs trying to sneak in to blow us up.

In or out is partly a class argument — the Establishment versus hoi polloi. And I know which side I am on
We are not part of Schengen — the system of open borders in continental Europe — so are not bound by this potentially calamitous policy that is now being rejected by the population of one European country after the other. By far the greatest immigration to this country is from the Indian subcontinent. Nothing to do with the EU.

I have misgivings about an alliance of countries that differ wildly in their attitudes to fairly important things such as work and financial prudence. I do not believe, as Marx averred, that the base determines the superstructure — that economics underpins everything. I think culture has a large part to play. I would be happy in a free-trade alliance comprising an area stretching from Novgorod in the east to King’s Lynn, full of upstanding Stakhanovite Slavs and rather dour, earnest Scandinavians and Saxons: decent people who understand the necessity of paying taxes, who do not sleep through the entire afternoon and do not for a moment swallow the notion of transubstantiation. We could call this trading bloc the Hanseatic League and give it a suite of offices in Lübeck.

I always thought it would be difficult for the EU to align the working practices that pertain in Thessaloniki or Seville with those that pertain in Hamburg or Copenhagen. So it has been proved with the financial collapse of the “Pigs” (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain). Nor do I feel much affinity with the residents of, say, Palermo or Cordoba, aside from the fact that I — just about — accept that we are all members of the human race. I feel far greater affinity with the people in Chicago, Melbourne, Wellington and Vancouver, but accept this is not a clinching argument and many will not subscribe to it.

I also like the idea of a nation state — for us, at least. The EU does not like the idea of a nation state. It wishes, in its heart, to abolish the concept. This is understandable if you are a German or an Italian and your country was cobbled together by some charismatic dictator only 150 years ago, with not always the most clement of consequences either for them or for the rest of us. Or if you are from Luxembourg and rely upon a supranational body to give your pitiful dozen or so acres, inhabited by a pitiful dozen or so quasi-Flems, a bizarrely disproportionate influence in world affairs. Or you are Spanish and the most affluent parts of your nation state, such as Catalonia, wish very dearly to get the hell out. Or, indeed, you are from any one of a number of continental countries where your borders are about as permanent and stalwart as the surface tension of water, and have shifted many times from empire to empire, from country to country.

Liddle’s Got Issues: In or Out
In the recent Austrian presidential race, the two most popular candidates, from left and right, both wished to see — somewhere down the line — the abolition of, er, Austria. For one candidate (the winner), this was a consequence of a dislike per se for the nation state and a willingness to surrender all to Brussels. For the other, it was a paradoxically very fervent belief in the nation state, providing that the nation state in question is Germany, or perhaps, as old Adolf used to call it, Greater Germany. Can you imagine that happening here? Continental Europe contains a vast melange of displaced, gently oppressed minority people — the Sorbs and Scythians, the Transylvanian Hungarians, the Basques, the Swabians and Samogitians, the Frisians, the Sami, the Flemish. The nation state, then, has far less purchase as a notion over there than it does in our islands.

Hence the sniffiness in Brussels when we Brits talk about national sovereignty. In the main, the countries of continental Europe merge seamlessly; the language often remains the same as you cross the unguarded and even unmarked border. So does the cuisine and the culture. Often, the only thing that changes is your mobile phone provider. None of that pertains over here. But I accept this is not a clinching argument, either.

I do not like the bureaucracy of the EU. But who does? Have you ever heard anyone say: “The one thing I really like about the European Union is the thousands upon thousands of smug, overpaid mandarins issuing fatuous directives.” Bureaucracy is simply our prayer, a fervent and very costly prayer, that we are doing the right thing by one another. The larger the organisation, the bigger the bureaucracy and the more ludicrous it will seem from time to time. But I do not think that it is much more parlous than our own profusion of quangos, of which there has, as yet, been no discernible bonfire, as was promised. And on a related matter, nor am I overly worried that our small businesses — the people for whom Ukip was set up — are overwhelmed by red tape and regulations. Pay your workers a decent wage and abide by a few sensible criteria when you’re flogging your wares — fine, I’m with the EU on that.

On the other hand, the insistence from the “remain” camp that everyone of consequence in the entire world wishes us to stay part of the EU makes me yearn for us to leave. The Americans, the International Monetary Fund, the World Trade Organisation, the rest of Europe all insist we should stay. There’s a straightforward and easy answer to that: vested interests. The money markets, the multinational corporations, the rich — yes, they are all in favour of both the status quo and the untrammelled movement of labour and capital, regardless of what effect this has upon the poorest. By and large, the British people who support leaving the EU are powerless and short of cash, and those who wish to remain in it are comparatively wealthy, well educated and will benefit financially. In or out, then, is partly a class argument — the Establishment versus hoi polloi. And I know which side I am on.

I worry a little about our defence. Of course the EU will continue to expand its remit and insist that it must have a defence force. The EU wishes for more and more power, as all organisations do. An EU force would be incompetent, indecisive, undemocratic and undermining of western interests. But whatever, leave or remain, we are still part of Nato — an organisation that has done far more to ensure peace in Europe than the EU, despite the latter’s claims to the contrary. So defence is not quite a clinching argument, either, although it is a persuasive one.

There is really only one clinching argument — and it is astonishing that so little hyperbole has been expended on it. It’s this: democracy. Not sovereignty, but democracy. Perhaps we might all sign up to a winnowing away of British sovereignty if we could be confident that the EU would behave in a democratic manner. But it does not do so.

If we stay in the EU, we will be consigning ourselves to a future that, in political terms, resembles the old USSR: no dissent, no alternative point of view permitted. A supranational body run by authoritarian liberals. Now, there’s hyperbole for you — what seems, on the face of it, to be an exaggerated claim. Yet this is what the EU is doing right now, explicitly and brazenly. The unelected president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, has recently made it clear that any country that elects a right-of-centre populist government will be stripped of its rights to make decisions within the EU, and possibly subjected to a loss of income. He did not hint at this, he actually said it. If Austria had voted its Freedom party into power, it would have had its decision-making capacity within the EU removed.

The EU is currently applying the same sanctions to Poland, whose electorate had the impudence to elect a mildly socially conservative government. The Poles could face a total removal of their voting rights and economic sanctions — all for voting in the “wrong” party. The European Commission gave itself these powers — to bully and ostracise countries that vote for policies that contravene Juncker’s own personal credo — back in 2014. This is not merely outrageous and scandalous, but genuinely worrying. No dissent allowed whatsoever from the socially liberal, fiscally conservative line. Because it is not only the right-wing populists who have incurred the wrath of Juncker and the rest of the commission. If you are Greek and vote for an anti-austerity left-wing socialist party, you will be bullied too. No dissent allowed. None. If you are opposed to any more immigration to the EU and are a bit worried about Islam — that’s your voting rights gone. Against gay marriage? Ditto. Europe will be a sort of gigantic safe space where only approved opinions are allowed.

It seems a truly hyperbolic assertion, and yet this is what is happening now — ask the Poles, the Austrians, the Hungarians, the Greeks. It is by far and away the most persuasive argument for insisting that we leave an institution that seeks ever to expand its remit; to exert, in the end, total control. It has become a tyranny, intolerant of any dissenting voices, contemptuous towards the wishes of its people. Why, given this, would you vote “remain”?

Last edited by andyps; 18/06/2016 19:51. Reason: some extra bits in the quote which weren't correct

Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: in or out [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1577448
18/06/2016 20:05
18/06/2016 20:05
Southampton, Hants
Roadking Offline
Club member 1809
Roadking  Offline
Club member 1809
Forum is my life

Southampton, Hants

Absolutely. I remember the 70s all too well. Breaking the power of the Unions was the best thing to come out of the 80s.

"RK's way seems the most sensible to me". ali_hire 16 Dec 2010
Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577451
18/06/2016 20:17
18/06/2016 20:17
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
one of the key points that's been mentioned before is that we can vote to leave at any point in the future if any of the things we don't like come to pass: a European Army, restrictions on our democracy, etc. When, after leaving, our economy falls over, I think we'd find it rather hard to get back in.

An interesting point that someone made on More Or Less was that our most complicated regulation is nothing to do with EU: Tax (except bits of VAT), planning, and a third one I've forgotten.

Re: in or out [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1577452
18/06/2016 20:29
18/06/2016 20:29
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

one of the key points that's been mentioned before is that we can vote to leave at any point in the future if any of the things we don't like come to pass: a European Army, restrictions on our democracy, etc. When, after leaving, our economy falls over, I think we'd find it rather hard to get back in.

An interesting point that someone made on More Or Less was that our most complicated regulation is nothing to do with EU: Tax (except bits of VAT), planning, and a third one I've forgotten.

I can't remember where I saw it or who said it but there was a quote from a European leader which said that we would be able to rejoin at any time and would be welcomed back. Sort of highlights the issue doesn't it - lots of contradictory information as no doubt someone has said they wouldn't have us back.

Probably the main thing if we did re-apply is that it would be difficult to get any special terms, but the act of us leaving is very likely to change the EU and bring demands from other countries that may well make things more favourable in the future anyway I suspect.

Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: in or out [Re: andyps] #1577454
18/06/2016 20:37
18/06/2016 20:37
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Originally Posted By: andyps

I can't remember where I saw it or who said it but there was a quote from a European leader which said that we would be able to rejoin at any time and would be welcomed back. Sort of highlights the issue doesn't it - lots of contradictory information as no doubt someone has said they wouldn't have us back.

Probably the main thing if we did re-apply is that it would be difficult to get any special terms, but the act of us leaving is very likely to change the EU and bring demands from other countries that may well make things more favourable in the future anyway I suspect.

Yes - welcomed back if we sign up to all the stuff we've dodged like the Euro - that's what I mean about hard...

Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577497
19/06/2016 09:51
19/06/2016 09:51

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

After twenty years of indoctrinating its readers into believing all the ills of europe, the Mail on Sunday is this morning urging its readership to vote remain. Well whaddya know....

Last edited by FreakinFreak; 19/06/2016 09:52.
Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577502
19/06/2016 10:23
19/06/2016 10:23
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
It's not April the first again is it FreakinFreak?

Wow.

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577513
19/06/2016 13:12
19/06/2016 13:12

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P

What do you actually know about the European Union and how it all works? Watch this, no one knows anything...

CLICK to YouTube

Re: in or out [Re: PeteP] #1577524
19/06/2016 14:51
19/06/2016 14:51

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

Originally Posted By: PeteP
It's not April the first again is it FreakinFreak?

Wow.

Its like the last scene from Bridge over the River Kwai - "what have I done?"

Re: in or out [Re: ] #1577525
19/06/2016 14:52
19/06/2016 14:52
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

Originally Posted By: patch234
What do you actually know about the European Union and how it all works? Watch this, no one knows anything...

CLICK to YouTube

I think it is a shame that film hasn't been on mainstream TV.

Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: in or out [Re: ] #1577527
19/06/2016 15:00
19/06/2016 15:00

F
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
FreakinFreak
Unregistered
F

Well they don't seem to know that General Elections occur every five years, not four. Once I'd heard that I didn't see any point being told anymore 'facts'.

Btw, Over half the financing for that film came from one hedge-fund manager - I'm sure he's all for a sovereignty that allows him to take his tax responsibilities offshore.

Re: in or out [Re: ] #1577533
19/06/2016 15:27
19/06/2016 15:27
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

Well they don't seem to know that General Elections occur every five years, not four. Once I'd heard that I didn't see any point being told anymore 'facts'.

Btw, Over half the financing for that film came from one hedge-fund manager - I'm sure he's all for a sovereignty that allows him to take his tax responsibilities offshore.

The remain campaign haven't come up with an alternative that finds anything wrong with the facts in the film, if it wasn't true it would have been easy to refute the claims.

Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: in or out [Re: andyps] #1577598
20/06/2016 11:34
20/06/2016 11:34
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted By: andyps

The remain campaign haven't come up with an alternative that finds anything wrong with the facts in the film, if it wasn't true it would have been easy to refute the claims.

Well, even an American comedy show managed to dismiss some of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgKHSNqxa8

Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1577678
20/06/2016 23:29
20/06/2016 23:29
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

Thanks Jim, hadn't seen that. It showed something that may or may not be the case - the list on screen obviously wasn't correct but the stat could well be. No idea and not going to make a big fuss but they could have done a screen grab around the word "pillow" but separately counted relevant rules. The video is one person's opinion however, and he seems to have a strong one!

Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: in or out [Re: andyps] #1577679
20/06/2016 23:57
20/06/2016 23:57
East Anglia
one4seven Offline
Enjoying the ride
one4seven  Offline
Enjoying the ride

East Anglia
I'm sure there's a limit to the amount of twaddle the remain campaign (any campaign for that matter) can wade through and de-bunk, give them a break! wink

Has anybody else watched the University of Liverpool's Professor Michael Dougan talking at length about the media farce we're currently experiencing?

https://www.facebook.com/UniversityofLiverpool/videos/1293361974024537/?pnref=story

[Linked Image]
Ollie
Re: in or out [Re: jimboy] #1578246
24/06/2016 12:06
24/06/2016 12:06
North Wales
Solouko Offline
Enjoying the ride
Solouko  Offline
Enjoying the ride

North Wales
This morning I came into work and had nothing to do!

No one had bought anything yesterday or last night because of the referendum. And we're not alone, businesses all over the UK have seen a slump in sales because people are scared to buy and this could cripple the UK.

So to help soften the blow on the UK economy we’re giving everyone 25% off all our products.

Just go to F-JAS.co.uk and at the checkout enter discount code AREEUREADY for 25% off all orders. (only one use per customer so don’t forget anything form your basket)

Check out our:
click to enlarge
Intercooler spray solution - https://f-jas.co.uk/collections/intercooler-sprayer-solution

click to enlarge
Our refillable car vent clips with over 130 fragrances to choose form - https://f-jas.co.uk/collections/tsint-car-vent-clip/products/tsint-car-vent-clip?variant=14859967558

click to enlarge
Our high performance scented screen wash with added rain repellent, also available in over 130 fragrances - https://f-jas.co.uk/collections/screen-w...riant=877221271

So lets all indulge in a little retail therapy. Also we’re also going to be running a competition on facebook later today so check us out there.
Also, if you say you're from the FCCUK forum i'll make sure you get a free yellow car vent clip that smells of single malt whiskey!

Solouko

Re: in or out [Re: Robotrish] #1578420
25/06/2016 20:07
25/06/2016 20:07
Yorks (near Rhubarb Triangle)
Robotrish Offline
Enjoying the ride
Robotrish  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Yorks (near Rhubarb Triangle)
Originally Posted By: Robotrish
In, with border controls

A very blunt to the point statement I agree! but had that somehow been sorted I'm sure we would still be in
To a man/women everyone I spoke to that voted out immigration and the free movement of labour was the number one reason they, voted out!

Is it an island mentality?

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11