» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 132 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,573
Posts1,340,826
Members1,796
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,544
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,509
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,723
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Driving to Germany, any advice, handy hints please #1598209
09/04/2017 08:48
09/04/2017 08:48

M
Merlin_Cat
Unregistered
Merlin_Cat
Unregistered
M

Morning folks,

I've got a 2l 20v R reg Coupe and am off to Heidelberg in it in a fortnight. It's been Sorned for a bit as I have 3 other vehicles and can't afford to keep them all taxed at once!
Does anyone know of any special requirements for German roads please? I think I will drive through France rather than Belguim as fancy visiting the old race track near Reims smile.
My one worry at the moment is how I will get headlamp deflecters on the Coupe headlights. I reckon some of my driving will be at night as planning to do drive to and from Heidelberg to Calais in a day each way. Bring on the autobahn!!!

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Re: Driving to Germany, any advice, handy hints please [Re: ] #1598232
09/04/2017 18:23
09/04/2017 18:23

N
n3dsd
Unregistered
n3dsd
Unregistered
N

Not had any problems with the headlamps ..I didnt put any deflectors on..If you are going to Paris you need a sticker for the emissions ..you need to take ALL your documents V5 MOT and insurance and remember that French autoroutes are costly.Have a look on the AA website to get the latest news.
I always go Belgium Luxembourg for the cheaper fuel and no tolls..enjoy the trip

Re: Driving to Germany, any advice, handy hints please [Re: ] #1598234
09/04/2017 19:47
09/04/2017 19:47

A
Akimi23
Unregistered
Akimi23
Unregistered
A

I've done a 2-week trip through Northern Europe last summer, albeit in a diesel Mazda, not a coupe, but some general advice:

Re the deflectors, follow the general placement advice on the stickers, i.e. 2-3 o'clock placement (if my memory serves me right) I found they don't do that much anyway no matter how fitted (on my Mazda 6, not Coupe, which actually had specified instructions) but if you get pulled over, you can expect some leniency as you HAVE them on; nor did I find that the authorities were too bothered by a UK reg car - slap a big GB sticker on the boot and feel like Moses, as everyone tries to give you way before you do something stupid laugh

Also, keep in mind that some parts of the Autobahns do in fact have speed limits, and some bits are 'Smart Motorway'. Also, as far as Germany is concerned, take off 3-5 off your planned MPG if you're going on a dual-carriageway style autobahn, as slow lane is jam-packed with lorries and the fast lane is full of people doing 120 MPH -- and we all know which lane we'd all rather be in.

Avoid the Duisburg-Dusseldorf-Cologne area during peak times - the queues are amazing.

And above all, drive respectfully regarding other drivers, as the Germans will ring up the police and report a 'dangerously maneuvering vehicle'.

Viel Glück wink

Re: Driving to Germany, any advice, handy hints please [Re: ] #1598238
09/04/2017 20:38
09/04/2017 20:38
Uk
M
Makkadiamond Offline
Making a profit
Makkadiamond  Offline
Making a profit
M

Uk
Iif it was me I would ...f it anit serviced recently get it serviced

Get the yellow connecter of death checked.

Get the Hose of death inspected.

Take a puncture repair kit .

Have a great trip !!

Re: Driving to Germany, any advice, handy hints please [Re: ] #1598241
09/04/2017 21:54
09/04/2017 21:54

M
Merlin_Cat
Unregistered
Merlin_Cat
Unregistered
M

Cheers for your responses. I shall get my paperwork in order smile. I've got hi viz etc from driving to Spain but never been to Germany before, driving, or otherwise.

Last time I drove it the brakes squealed every time I braked while going slow so that should be entertaining. Today I went to pick up my car from where I store it and realised I'd forgotten the rear exhaust tail pipe had split in half! May need to sort that first just in case.

Makkadiamond, what are the yellow connector, and hose of death please? Should I be worried?, smile