» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Thunderbox), 263 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,424
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members #1609452
12/10/2017 10:14
12/10/2017 10:14
Rugby, Warwickshire
Carlscott Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
Carlscott  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Rugby, Warwickshire
Hi all

To cut a long story short my 2yr old son has been diagnosed with a particularly rare disease called Langerhans cell histiocytosis (LCH) which is very similar to cancer but not classed as one

I'm doing a charity climb up mount kilimanjaro in 2019 and the 3 peaks challenge next year to raise money and awareness of the charity's that have been so helpful to us during this difficult time

Apart from getting my fitness and endurance up, I have no idea about hiking or mountain climbing but am fully aware I need quite a lot of kit including good hiking boots and breathable layers of clothing

Has anyone got experience in this department? Obviously I've googled what's on the market but first hand experience is really what I'm after

Thanks in advance

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad
Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609463
12/10/2017 13:04
12/10/2017 13:04
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Firstly, sorry to hear of your son's illness. I hope things improve for him.

I've not been up Kilimanjaro, but I know it's high enough for altitude sickness. Definitely a good challenge.

I have done stuff in the Alps and Lakes / Scotland etc though. So,

Boots - sounds obvious, but fit is the main consideration. Lots of good makes on the market... Scarpa being one of the best and popular, others like Meindl, Asolo, Brasher,Salomon, etc. For walking in the UK, you'd want 2 - 3 season boots. 4 season will be too stiff unless you want to wear crampons. Either go for full grain leather (which is thick enough to be almost waterproof, or thinner leather (or fabric) with goretex type membrane. You also want Vibram soles, although Salomon and other use their own.

If you buy boots, it's worth breaking them in a bit. Modern boots don't need much, but you don't want to find you get blisters in the middle of the 3 peaks.

Socks. Get some good walking socks. I've always worn 2 layers. Thin socks and then walking socks to prevent blisters, but it's personal preference.

Coat: You want a waterproof, breathable jacket. Go for something with a membrane like Goretex, eVent etc. The ones without (i.e. a treated surface) tend to lose their water proofing after a while. You can pay anything between around £85 - £300. Generally, around £100 - £150 would be good. I'm a fan of Mountain Equipment, Montane, Berghaus. But plenty of other good brands.

Waterproof trousers also important for rain. You can get ex-army goretex (camouflage) for about £30. The "proper" walking ones are expensive.

Mid layer. Some kind of fleece (polyester). Although a wool jumper works just as well (actually warmer).

Base layer. A "wicking" layer, not cotton, that takes the sweat away and stops you getting cold when you stop. Plenty of choice of these. Most running tops are wicking.

Walking trousers. Can get with zip-off legs. Fast drying.

Hat - keep your ears warm. 30% of body heat lost through your head.

Gloves. On the tops of mountains, with wind chill, you will find gloves are important.

Neck tube e.g. buff. Handy for keeping the draughts out and multi purpose.

Rucksack. For day walking, then up to 30 Litres capacity should be fine.

Compass and map. Definitely worth getting someone to show you how to set and follow bearings on a map. Can be a life saver.

Water bottle etc. You can get bladder type containers too e.g. platypus / camelback.

Basic small first aid kit.

Head torch e.g. Petzl. Very useful if you get caught out by fading light.

Alpkit go good value kit. I'm not linked to them, I just have some of their kit.

https://www.alpkit.com/

Last edited by Gripped; 12/10/2017 13:09.
Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609467
12/10/2017 14:21
12/10/2017 14:21
Rugby, Warwickshire
Carlscott Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
Carlscott  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Rugby, Warwickshire
Brilliant, thank you very much for such an informative reply!

I have heard about breaking in your boots, plenty of woodlands around us so I shall get them sorted first!

Does a higher price necessarily mean better quality?

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad
Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609468
12/10/2017 14:28
12/10/2017 14:28
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Most importantly, good luck with your son. These things are very tough.

Can’t add a lot to what Gripped has written. I used to do a lot in the Scottish Highlands and a couple of extra bits I’d take are mostly for when things go wrong: I think they’re called survival bags but it’s effectively an oversized rubble sack that you climb into when things go wrong and they keep the worst of the weather out. I’d also take a space/foil blanket for the same reason. Both cheap.

Always take two pairs/sets of socks. Again, in the Highlands we often wore gaiters to help keep the feet dry.

Finally, more than most people, I appreciate the feeling that you need to DO something in these circumstances. After Eve was diagnosed with leukaemia in January, I was planning an attempt on 6 times up Ventoux by bike in a day. But Eve, amongst others, talked me out of it. Being there for everyone is the most important thing.

Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609470
12/10/2017 14:45
12/10/2017 14:45
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Ah yes, the good old bright orange survival bag. Also doubles up as an impromptu sledge in winter !

Definitely worth having for emergencies.

As for price, yes generally you get what you pay for. But I personally hate paying full price for anything. However, the £300 jackets tend to be more "technical" for proper expeditions and have lots of features which you might not need. Depends on your budget of course.

I look for end of season deals etc. You can get really good goretex jackets for under £100 if you search around.

For example Mammut are a very good brand (Swiss). I'm quite tempted myself...
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammut-mens-dammastock-hs-hooded-jacket-p409088

This new Jacket by Alpkit looks good too for the money.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/argonaut-mens

Or if money is not an issue...
https://www.alpkit.com/products/definition-mens

Another popular place:
https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/

Last edited by Gripped; 12/10/2017 14:48.
Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609472
12/10/2017 15:16
12/10/2017 15:16
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Watford, Herts.
Good luck with the endeavour and of course wishing your son all the best.

The three peaks challenge has a list of equipment which would be an obvious start point.

Before investing too much check with the organisers of Kilimanjaro trip to see what they provide and what the don't - I would expect them to provide a comprehensive kit list - but also they will likely have discounts or offers from supporting shops etc.

BTW the heat loss through the head is a myth. You still need a hat though.

Last edited by Hyperlink; 12/10/2017 15:16.
Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1609474
12/10/2017 15:56
12/10/2017 15:56
Rugby, Warwickshire
Carlscott Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
Carlscott  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Rugby, Warwickshire
Originally Posted By MeanRedSpider
Being there for everyone is the most important thing.

Absolutely agree with, 2019 is the date for kilimanjaro and this will only go ahead providing his treatment is going as planned.

I hope Eve is responding well to treatment and gets well soon, I believe LCH is very similar to leukemia

Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609475
12/10/2017 16:08
12/10/2017 16:08
Rugby, Warwickshire
Carlscott Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
Carlscott  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Rugby, Warwickshire
Thank you everyone for your input and well wishes.

I am in touch with a UK operator and guide who have so far been brilliant with information, kit lists, which route to take, when to go etc etc.

Amongst other means of raising money I will be setting up a go fund me page in the near future if anyone would be interested in donating a pound or two.

Thanks again!

Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609494
12/10/2017 21:01
12/10/2017 21:01
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil

North Wales
I have no idea on what you might need, so can only offer my best wishes and good luck wih everything cool

Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609498
12/10/2017 21:45
12/10/2017 21:45
Benfleet, Essex
robcal Offline
Making a profit
robcal  Offline
Making a profit

Benfleet, Essex

I'd add to previous posts, but they're pretty much spot on. Key things are the boots - 4 season boots won't be comfy. I've owned countless pairs now, but would never go without my brashers - they're like slippers, just with she'd loads of support and grip.

Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609539
13/10/2017 21:31
13/10/2017 21:31

J
Jef_uk
Unregistered
Jef_uk
Unregistered
J

Hi My lal sister is ex BMC and has a lal one.
If you would like a chat or help planing I can put you in touch. She spends a lot of time walking and hiking but is a respected mountaineer.
http://katyforrester.com/
She is a ( or was if shes not kept it fully up-to date) qualified as in instructor for things far more extreme than what you are looking to do.
She may be able to put you in contact with some of her sponsors, but I cannot promise anything.
PM me and I will send you my email.

Originally Posted By Katy

On rock I’ve managed to onsight E5, head point E7, boulder 7b, route climb 7c+. On axes I’ve lead V5 and M9.
I’ve competed internationally for great britain in ice climbing and was part of the bouldering squad too.
I also coach too through Adventure Hunter, some headgame and movement stuff. If you are interested give me a shout or see

Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1609612
14/10/2017 22:41
14/10/2017 22:41
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
My late husband was a keen hill-walker and he always took a stick, just one, but a really long one like a shepherd's crook. His father almost died when falling into a bog with a dead deer on his back, so Iain took a stick everywhere for testing the ground if it looked boggy. A stick is so useful in many ways, such as when wading or to steady you when taking a leap. Also he always packed a survival bag and a little solid fuel stove, and a whistle.

I do hope things will improve for your little one Carl. Thinking of you all. xx

[Linked Image]
Re: Any experienced hiking/mountain climbing members [Re: Carlscott] #1610333
23/10/2017 08:44
23/10/2017 08:44
Rugby, Warwickshire
Carlscott Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
Carlscott  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Rugby, Warwickshire
Hi guys

Just a little update.

I bought some boots Hi-tec altitude V (they came recommended) at only £50 reduced from £75 for a starter boot, I am so far very impressed with how lightweight and comfortable they are.

Slowly breaking them in, I've worn them to work for a few days as well as putting a several miles in walking over fields, up hills etc etc

Snowdon next Sunday morning so we will get a good idea of what's to come. Weather permitted we will also try and tackle Nevis in early November or most likely in the new year

Ive now set up a Facebook page for people to read a little on Albies journey so far and so people can follow our progress. "Kili Climb For Albie" if anyone can just have a look, like and share it really can make a difference!

Thanks guys!