» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (PaulL, CVL200), 314 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,436
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,521
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure #1626083
16/10/2018 17:36
16/10/2018 17:36
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Surrey Hills, U.K
People (well, two people) have asked for me write up the 4days Barry and I spent on the Nordschleife and Spa Francorchamps Trackdays at the end of Sept and early October, details of which I posted on the FC UK Facebook page.

I’ve broken this down (or will break it down) into three post, this one, Nordschleife fastest lap, day two and then Spa, if there is interest. Hope this is the right section to post, if not, I’m sure someone will move or advise.

Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa fest.
Section 1.

At the end of August, I took Barry to Cadwell Park for a Pre-Nordschleife shake down, this was after all the winter fetterling that he’d undergone, if your raising the question of, how is late August a shake down after winter work - good point, let’s move along!

This winter work was aimed at three things

1. Reliability
2. Performance
3. Feel good factor

Last year at Nurburgring, Barry had a few issues, at around 110mph the induction pipe popped off, earlier the EBV played up forcing the car into limp (no boost) mode, and I was loosing some coolant. Therefore I decided in conjunction with a performance upgrade from FC Performance (Leighton) to replace all the induction pipe work and importantly the clips, as Leighton’s enhancements included replacing the stock EBV that work got sorted to.

Under the bonnet I moved the battery to the boot (along with washer bottle) cleaned all the electrical connections (no mean feat) re-wrapped all the loom, placing much into plastic crinkle conduit (why Fiat did not do that in the first place) to stop rubbing of the cables. Cleaned and repainted the front cross member (a partial under bonnet refresh) had lots of the under bonnet metal components sand blasted and powder coated, things like Intercooler mount, cross strut, ABS frame, slam panel etc, etc, just so I could lift the bonnet, know everything is sorted and be proud of what’s under there.

I also took part in the fibre glass bonnet group buy and now have a fab’ lightweight bonnet that’s taken at least 30kilo’s off the front of the car.

Leighton worked his magic and provided his Stage 2 performance upgrade which in simple terms was a super spool turbo, FMIC, injector upgrade, and piggyback on ECU to give me a three stage map (though on track I just run it in full power (nutter) mode only) this gives me 307 BHP (let’s just call it 300)

Added with the various weight loss activities I’ve undertaken since getting the car (think the car is just under a ton now), I reckon I have around 300BHP/ton which is pretty nifty.

Joe (FCSS) undertook a ton of work, including completely renovating all the brakes, we fitted CL6 pads which I’m sure you’ve seen my various posts on this, but these pads along with the weight loss has made this Coupe a demon late breaking machine - but more of that later.

Joe also modified the gear linkage and I now have a lovely short shift on my 6 speed box (have to admit, on track I never use 6th gear)

I also tracked down two water leaks in the coolant system, a pin hole in the steal pipe that runs above the alternator and a weep in the bottom right of the rad, not being able to secure an oem rad, I bought the 40% larger Direnza alloy rad in black, which is excellent and I have no hesitation in recommending it, even thrashing the wotsits at Cadwell, the coolant temp’s stayed spot on!

So back to Cadwell.
My initial laps were quite conservative, but I quickly found the performance enhancements made a sizeable and annoying difference to the car, annoying for the other trackers as I was a bugger down the straights.

Unfortunately I noticed the car was missing as I was pressing on and of course first port of call was to blame the engine tuner. So during lunch, took all the plugs out and found water in chambers 1 (lots) and 2 (not so much) with mental apologies to Leighton, I cleaned all the plugs removed all the water etc and car ran like a dream in the second session - how does water get down there? Happened to my other Coupe too!

During this trackday, Cadwell, it’s not the best circuit for a Coupe, the handling and more my faith in the cornering capabilities of the car meant I was too heavy on the brakes, coupled with the brake pads allowing me to brake well into the 100yrd mark (and often into the 50yrds) that they got very hot (though the braking efficiency seemed unaffected), seeing smoke coming out of your front wheels is quite disconcerting I have to say.

Overall though, the day proved all the work hung together, car (once plug holes were cleaned) was totally reliable, temp’s all manageable and apart from some geometry needed on the front, I was good to go for the Nordschleife/Spa fest.

Before setting off for Germany, I ordered another set of Toyo R888R’s which I had fitted to a spare set of rims, checked all oils and fluids gave him a wash and checked all the pads, wheel bolts etc and twiddled my thumbs as I’m never this well prepared before a track event (I’m normally still up under the car fitting things to it at midnight - lol!) oh, and as I need to drive Barry from where we stay to the circuit on public roads, got him MOT’ed which he breezed through and had all his geometry checked and aligned.

Nordschleife

This event was run by Destination Nürburgring, better know as DN, this will have been my third DN, last year I did it in Barry, previous to that I rented a Rent4Ring Suzuki Swift Sport. These events are run over two days, full ‘open pit lane’ type driving, just come off when low on fuel, or brain has switched off (usually the latter).

The evening before there is the drivers briefing, if you’ve not done one of these events before, I’ll try to describe it a little bit, the briefing is held at one of the sponsors facilities, it’s a large garage complex on the manufacturers road, this is where all the car and tyre manu’s have there RnD offices.

There are around 200 drivers/passengers at a DN event, so quite a few people waiting around for the briefing, registration is well run, you can pre-register so you just pick up your pack which includes a transponder, car numbers and instructions for flags and overtaking rules.

The briefing takes around 20 minutes in a room filled with 99.9% men (are women just not interested in thrashing cars??), those of the fairer sex who are there are just picking up passenger bands or keeping their partners company - I think this is a shame, still it is what it is!

The briefing focusses a lot on over taking rules and, paraphrasing, not bullying other drivers. The organiser (Darren) asked for a show of hands of Nordschleife newbies, and I was somewhat surprised to see a sizeable amount of arms being raised. Darren suggested these guys get out early for the sighting laps and get as many laps in before the circuit goes green at 9AM, he also asked with greater emphasis then any previous briefing that we respect the Nordschleife novices and give them space, briefing over we all move outside to clear our lungs of all the testosterone and ‘man odour’ that’s in the air!

I meet up with some other drivers I’ve met over the last couple of years, we chew the could, admire some of the amazing cars parked in the lot of the sponsor, and trundle off with that little excitement tingle in the pit of our stomachs - that sort of Christmas Eve feeling you used to get(?) when a kid.

I’m doing DN with my mate (who got me into this trackday lark) he has a quite modded Caterham 7 which I’ve driven quiet a bit, he’s a much better driver than me, and while I did a 9:22 lap last year in Barry and looking to get under 9mins, this year, he’s in the early 8 mins - though to be fairish to me and other drivers he’s probably in his hundred’s of laps of the green ribbon by now, but even so, for a car that’s two bicycles welded together and aerodynamic as a proverbial shed, that’s some time!

We get back to our accommodation, we’re staying in the Lindner Park it’s a load of holiday houses all grouped together and very comfortable. It’s a bit weird as it’s a bit like an up market holiday village, but with Porsche GT3, M3’s and trailers everywhere! The staff are great, very friendly and helpful, if you are going to Nurburgring I recommend it.

I do the final fiddling with Barry, to be honest, other than putting the cars numbers on and attaching the transponder, there is not much to do - being prepared, it’s a new and slightly weird concept for me, oh well, will have to have a beer instead.

After a nice evening and oddly behaving and not drinking to much, that’s a slightly weird thing about this trackday lark. You are on holiday, but also being sensible, it’s like a ski holiday without all the drinking. You get that same ‘anticipation’ feeling first thing in the morning, it’s a bit like that feeling you have as an average skier looking down that difficult Red or Black run, you have to do it but .......!

So morning dawns and after a very light breakfast, neither of us are particularly hungry, we say cheerio to our respective other half’s and set off for the sighting laps, 8 until 9, on the Nurburgring as it 20k in length, sighting laps merge into open circuit precisely at 9AM so it gets exciting.

We get to the roundabout at the entrance onto the Ring, the DN team are there along with the wonderful Nurburgring team, checking vehicles in, if you have no DN sticker no entry, we wait behind a guy in a German registered Audi trying to get in, after a wait, he’s persuaded and leaves, we’re waved in with a smile and park in the upper car park and sort our bits out.

Harnesses sorted, helmet and gloves on, go-pro eventually playing ball, I head out to do my first lap of the ring, drive up to the barrier entry, wrist bands checked and waved through, navigate the cone slalom and onto the last part of Döttinger Höhe, to the bridge, accelerate Barry to track speed and “cloud9 me this car is quick” I’m under bridge and heading to the T13 corner complex before I know where I am! This is going to be fun, catch the tail of cars up and spend my time getting my corners sorted. Boy the cars ahead are slow, and we’re braking soooo early for the bends (most are just lift a little, especially at this speed).

It’s about 845 so I’ll get a full sighting lap, before the track goes green at 9, making a quick calculation, roughly I’ll be at the forest (Bergwerk) when it does.

I’m pleased, the old mans memory is still good and I know the corners, can’t even start to sort my braking lines and entry points as the convoy I’m in is so slow, so I sit there, watching the time.

I’m wrong, our sighting lap is so ridiculously slow we’re way before the forest when the track goes green, there are some novices as they don’t get it, but the guy in the debadged Beemer does get it and pulls over for me, we come down into Adenau (where, as Jeremy Clarkson notes, Nikki Lauder lost his ears) it’s a great section, you come down into Adenau, there is an track exit there (where we finished DN last year when Barry popped his pipes), it then goes up right, like a roller coaster, let the car drift over to the left, boot all the way to the floor, letting the tyres do the job they are paid for, then up into the fast leftish rightish, before the hard right into Bergwerk and the long climb up Kessel, however the convoy is not playing game and I suspect they are novices, taking their lines but at 1/2 Barry’s trackspeed, up out of where Nikki’s ears were lost, the guy keeps right, no indication but I take this means consent so I quickly boot it and pass him and the guy in front too, a wave of thanks and I chase the next car down into Bergwerk, god this car is going well!

Bergwerk is still a bit damp, slight chatter from the ABS, mental note to watch this next time around when my approach will be a good deal faster. Always find Bergwerk a difficult corner, it sort of sucks you in, bit like the mermaid sirens that lured sailors onto the rocks, it says hey I’m nice and wide and look easy, come on in! But it’s slippery on the racing line and has a negative camber on the exit, that drags you onto the kerb and the waiting Armco, best approach is wait and then wait a bit more then turn in keeping right and ignore those wailing fishy women on the left and their waiting rocks.

Now up the long drag of Kesselchen, the sun is low and bright at this time of the morning, and with all my preparation, one thing I forgot was the windscreen - needs a clean, light bouncing off it and I’m having trouble seeing at this speed, back off a bit, I’m not the only one and wait until the sun is shadowed by the trees and I can see the kerbs that mark the very slight bends in this section, now into the short section before the carousel, this is easy and pretty flat, slight comfort brake at Klostertal and then into the short straight before the hard right into the approach of the Karrussel, Porsche that’s in front politely moves over and I pass and dive into the concrete road surface, Barry grinds his way over and I’m out lifting the front nearside and going no where. We’re now accelerating hard, will I lift for the next bend or keep my bottle and foot in? Nope I lift and then check brake into Höhe Acht - okay it’s first run of the next two days, plenty of time to improve I convince myself. The next section is great, it’s a series of sweeping fast left and rights before the infamous Brunnchen (where most of the YouTube videos are filmed), again I’m check braking and I detect a small amount of annoyance from Barry “where are your balls man” he’s saying, I apologise and tell him I left them in my wash bag this morning and hopefully during lunch I’ll get them!

I catch this black Honda Civic, he’s holding his line and holding me up, the Porsche catches us up and holds station - I like him, he knows the rules, the Civic makes a mistake coming into the top bend of Brunnchen and naughtily I take advantage and sneak through on his left, I’m then down into the spectator pit that is Brunnchen and then the right up to the nasty left that I never get right, now the lovely fast complex upto the mini carousel, I love this, but it’s fast and has two bends that look similar on entry, they are both blind, one goes right one goes left, making sure you don’t get them mixed up is kinda important especially if you are committed. We’re fairly committed and get it right, off down to mini carousel, Porsche has got past the mobile road block that is the Civic, but he’s history just a slight memory in my head, Barry and I are 120mph down here, I break for the right before the mini carousel complex! Barry tut’s - “dude less with the brakes already” he says, I agree sheepishly and then into mini carousel, don’t underestimate this bend, it bights especially rear wheel drive cars, Barry and I are through and accelerating hard to Galgenkopf, get the turn in right at the 186 board, down to the bridge and into Döttinger Hohe, foot to floor, let’s see what Barry will do, past the Devils Diner, running slightly uphill, 140mph indicated, car solid one circuit done onto the next!

I look down, oops, boost switch is in position one, I did all that in low power mode, right, switch to position 3, 300BHP - bring it on!

Re: Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure [Re: godders] #1626108
17/10/2018 09:02
17/10/2018 09:02
Behind Enemy Lines
Master_Mariner Offline
Club member 583
Master_Mariner  Offline
Club member 583
Enjoying the ride

Behind Enemy Lines
Now this is a way to brighten up a boring mid week morning!

What a great write up - felt like I was back at Nordschleife myself!

The work on your coupe sounds like it has gone very very well - amazing story to read- more please! :-)

Everyone needs to head to this track at least once in there life.

Regards

MM

Re: Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure [Re: godders] #1626110
17/10/2018 09:13
17/10/2018 09:13
Staffs
Dazvr6 Offline
My job on the forum
Dazvr6  Offline
My job on the forum

Staffs
A great read Godders. I'm jealous as I've not been to the ring but would love to go.
I'll get there one day but I want to drive an F1 car first laugh

Re: Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure [Re: godders] #1626295
24/10/2018 13:25
24/10/2018 13:25
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Southsea
Fabulous read!

Re: Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure [Re: godders] #1626301
24/10/2018 16:01
24/10/2018 16:01
Glos
Brilly1uk Offline
Club member 1034
Brilly1uk  Offline
Club member 1034
Competition Level

Glos
As others have said, a great read as we are transported to tackling the Karrussel! ooo

Fiat Coupe 20VT
Alfa Romeo Spider
BMW X3
Re: Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure [Re: godders] #1626414
27/10/2018 22:16
27/10/2018 22:16
Stockport
patrickstar Offline
Enjoying the ride
patrickstar  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Stockport
Great read it's a great track to drive I did it in July.
How is your bonnet doing any problems in the shipping and did you have it painted.
Reason I ask is that I might get one.
I will be going next year with a few more mods done.

Re: Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure [Re: patrickstar] #1626419
28/10/2018 08:53
28/10/2018 08:53
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Surrey Hills, U.K
Patrick,

Have a read of this thread: https://fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1624561&page=1

I have no hesitation of recommending the AutoDS bonnet but before ordering I would get assurance from them that they package the item for delivery better

Sg

Re: Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa Trackday Adventure [Re: godders] #1656520
22/03/2022 14:23
22/03/2022 14:23
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club Rep Europe, member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club Rep Europe, member 914
Forum veteran

FCSS 01684 593187
Originally Posted by godders
People (well, two people) have asked for me write up the 4days Barry and I spent on the Nordschleife and Spa Francorchamps Trackdays at the end of Sept and early October, details of which I posted on the FC UK Facebook page.

I’ve broken this down (or will break it down) into three post, this one, Nordschleife fastest lap, day two and then Spa, if there is interest. Hope this is the right section to post, if not, I’m sure someone will move or advise.

Barry’s Nordschleife and Spa fest.
Section 1.

At the end of August, I took Barry to Cadwell Park for a Pre-Nordschleife shake down, this was after all the winter fetterling that he’d undergone, if your raising the question of, how is late August a shake down after winter work - good point, let’s move along!

This winter work was aimed at three things

1. Reliability
2. Performance
3. Feel good factor

Last year at Nurburgring, Barry had a few issues, at around 110mph the induction pipe popped off, earlier the EBV played up forcing the car into limp (no boost) mode, and I was loosing some coolant. Therefore I decided in conjunction with a performance upgrade from FC Performance (Leighton) to replace all the induction pipe work and importantly the clips, as Leighton’s enhancements included replacing the stock EBV that work got sorted to.

Under the bonnet I moved the battery to the boot (along with washer bottle) cleaned all the electrical connections (no mean feat) re-wrapped all the loom, placing much into plastic crinkle conduit (why Fiat did not do that in the first place) to stop rubbing of the cables. Cleaned and repainted the front cross member (a partial under bonnet refresh) had lots of the under bonnet metal components sand blasted and powder coated, things like Intercooler mount, cross strut, ABS frame, slam panel etc, etc, just so I could lift the bonnet, know everything is sorted and be proud of what’s under there.

I also took part in the fibre glass bonnet group buy and now have a fab’ lightweight bonnet that’s taken at least 30kilo’s off the front of the car.

Leighton worked his magic and provided his Stage 2 performance upgrade which in simple terms was a super spool turbo, FMIC, injector upgrade, and piggyback on ECU to give me a three stage map (though on track I just run it in full power (nutter) mode only) this gives me 307 BHP (let’s just call it 300)

Added with the various weight loss activities I’ve undertaken since getting the car (think the car is just under a ton now), I reckon I have around 300BHP/ton which is pretty nifty.

Joe (FCSS) undertook a ton of work, including completely renovating all the brakes, we fitted CL6 pads which I’m sure you’ve seen my various posts on this, but these pads along with the weight loss has made this Coupe a demon late breaking machine - but more of that later.

Joe also modified the gear linkage and I now have a lovely short shift on my 6 speed box (have to admit, on track I never use 6th gear)

I also tracked down two water leaks in the coolant system, a pin hole in the steal pipe that runs above the alternator and a weep in the bottom right of the rad, not being able to secure an oem rad, I bought the 40% larger Direnza alloy rad in black, which is excellent and I have no hesitation in recommending it, even thrashing the wotsits at Cadwell, the coolant temp’s stayed spot on!

So back to Cadwell.
My initial laps were quite conservative, but I quickly found the performance enhancements made a sizeable and annoying difference to the car, annoying for the other trackers as I was a bugger down the straights.

Unfortunately I noticed the car was missing as I was pressing on and of course first port of call was to blame the engine tuner. So during lunch, took all the plugs out and found water in chambers 1 (lots) and 2 (not so much) with mental apologies to Leighton, I cleaned all the plugs removed all the water etc and car ran like a dream in the second session - how does water get down there? Happened to my other Coupe too!

During this trackday, Cadwell, it’s not the best circuit for a Coupe, the handling and more my faith in the cornering capabilities of the car meant I was too heavy on the brakes, coupled with the brake pads allowing me to brake well into the 100yrd mark (and often into the 50yrds) that they got very hot (though the braking efficiency seemed unaffected), seeing smoke coming out of your front wheels is quite disconcerting I have to say.

Overall though, the day proved all the work hung together, car (once plug holes were cleaned) was totally reliable, temp’s all manageable and apart from some geometry needed on the front, I was good to go for the Nordschleife/Spa fest.

Before setting off for Germany, I ordered another set of Toyo R888R’s which I had fitted to a spare set of rims, checked all oils and fluids gave him a wash and checked all the pads, wheel bolts etc and twiddled my thumbs as I’m never this well prepared before a track event (I’m normally still up under the car fitting things to it at midnight - lol!) oh, and as I need to drive Barry from where we stay to the circuit on public roads, got him MOT’ed which he breezed through and had all his geometry checked and aligned.

Nordschleife

This event was run by Destination Nürburgring, better know as DN, this will have been my third DN, last year I did it in Barry, previous to that I rented a Rent4Ring Suzuki Swift Sport. These events are run over two days, full ‘open pit lane’ type driving, just come off when low on fuel, or brain has switched off (usually the latter).

The evening before there is the drivers briefing, if you’ve not done one of these events before, I’ll try to describe it a little bit, the briefing is held at one of the sponsors facilities, it’s a large garage complex on the manufacturers road, this is where all the car and tyre manu’s have there RnD offices.

There are around 200 drivers/passengers at a DN event, so quite a few people waiting around for the briefing, registration is well run, you can pre-register so you just pick up your pack which includes a transponder, car numbers and instructions for flags and overtaking rules.

The briefing takes around 20 minutes in a room filled with 99.9% men (are women just not interested in thrashing cars??), those of the fairer sex who are there are just picking up passenger bands or keeping their partners company - I think this is a shame, still it is what it is!

The briefing focusses a lot on over taking rules and, paraphrasing, not bullying other drivers. The organiser (Darren) asked for a show of hands of Nordschleife newbies, and I was somewhat surprised to see a sizeable amount of arms being raised. Darren suggested these guys get out early for the sighting laps and get as many laps in before the circuit goes green at 9AM, he also asked with greater emphasis then any previous briefing that we respect the Nordschleife novices and give them space, briefing over we all move outside to clear our lungs of all the testosterone and ‘man odour’ that’s in the air!

I meet up with some other drivers I’ve met over the last couple of years, we chew the cud, admire some of the amazing cars parked in the lot of the sponsor, and trundle off with that little excitement tingle in the pit of our stomachs - that sort of Christmas Eve feeling you used to get(?) when a kid.

I’m doing DN with my mate (who got me into this trackday lark) he has a quite modded Caterham 7 which I’ve driven quiet a bit, he’s a much better driver than me, and while I did a 9:22 lap last year in Barry and looking to get under 9mins, this year, he’s in the early 8 mins - though to be fairish to me and other drivers he’s probably in his hundred’s of laps of the green ribbon by now, but even so, for a car that’s two bicycles welded together and aerodynamic as a proverbial shed, that’s some time!

We get back to our accommodation, we’re staying in the Lindner Park it’s a load of holiday houses all grouped together and very comfortable. It’s a bit weird as it’s a bit like an up market holiday village, but with Porsche GT3, M3’s and trailers everywhere! The staff are great, very friendly and helpful, if you are going to Nurburgring I recommend it.

I do the final fiddling with Barry, to be honest, other than putting the cars numbers on and attaching the transponder, there is not much to do - being prepared, it’s a new and slightly weird concept for me, oh well, will have to have a beer instead.

After a nice evening and oddly behaving and not drinking to much, that’s a slightly weird thing about this trackday lark. You are on holiday, but also being sensible, it’s like a ski holiday without all the drinking. You get that same ‘anticipation’ feeling first thing in the morning, it’s a bit like that feeling you have as an average skier looking down that difficult Red or Black run, you have to do it but .......!

So morning dawns and after a very light breakfast, neither of us are particularly hungry, we say cheerio to our respective other half’s and set off for the sighting laps, 8 until 9, on the Nurburgring as it 20k in length, sighting laps merge into open circuit precisely at 9AM so it gets exciting.

We get to the roundabout at the entrance onto the Ring, the DN team are there along with the wonderful Nurburgring team, checking vehicles in, if you have no DN sticker no entry, we wait behind a guy in a German registered Audi trying to get in, after a wait, he’s persuaded and leaves, we’re waved in with a smile and park in the upper car park and sort our bits out.

Harnesses sorted, helmet and gloves on, go-pro eventually playing ball, I head out to do my first lap of the ring, drive up to the barrier entry, wrist bands checked and waved through, navigate the cone slalom and onto the last part of Döttinger Höhe, to the bridge, accelerate Barry to track speed and “feck me this car is quick” I’m under bridge and heading to the T13 corner complex before I know where I am! This is going to be fun, catch the tail of cars up and spend my time getting my corners sorted. Boy the cars ahead are slow, and we’re braking soooo early for the bends (most are just lift a little, especially at this speed).

It’s about 845 so I’ll get a full sighting lap, before the track goes green at 9, making a quick calculation, roughly I’ll be at the forest (Bergwerk) when it does.

I’m pleased, the old mans memory is still good and I know the corners, can’t even start to sort my braking lines and entry points as the convoy I’m in is so slow, so I sit there, watching the time.

I’m wrong, our sighting lap is so ridiculously slow we’re way before the forest when the track goes green, there are some novices as they don’t get it, but the guy in the debadged Beemer does get it and pulls over for me, we come down into Adenau (where, as Jeremy Clarkson notes, Nikki Lauder lost his ears) it’s a great section, you come down into Adenau, there is an track exit there (where we finished DN last year when Barry popped his pipes), it then goes up right, like a roller coaster, let the car drift over to the left, boot all the way to the floor, letting the tyres do the job they are paid for, then up into the fast leftish rightish, before the hard right into Bergwerk and the long climb up Kessel, however the convoy is not playing game and I suspect they are novices, taking their lines but at 1/2 Barry’s trackspeed, up out of where Nikki’s ears were lost, the guy keeps right, no indication but I take this means consent so I quickly boot it and pass him and the guy in front too, a wave of thanks and I chase the next car down into Bergwerk, god this car is going well!

Bergwerk is still a bit damp, slight chatter from the ABS, mental note to watch this next time around when my approach will be a good deal faster. Always find Bergwerk a difficult corner, it sort of sucks you in, bit like the mermaid sirens that lured sailors onto the rocks, it says hey I’m nice and wide and look easy, come on in! But it’s slippery on the racing line and has a negative camber on the exit, that drags you onto the kerb and the waiting Armco, best approach is wait and then wait a bit more then turn in keeping right and ignore those wailing fishy women on the left and their waiting rocks.

Now up the long drag of Kesselchen, the sun is low and bright at this time of the morning, and with all my preparation, one thing I forgot was the windscreen - needs a clean, light bouncing off it and I’m having trouble seeing at this speed, back off a bit, I’m not the only one and wait until the sun is shadowed by the trees and I can see the kerbs that mark the very slight bends in this section, now into the short section before the carousel, this is easy and pretty flat, slight comfort brake at Klostertal and then into the short straight before the hard right into the approach of the Karrussel, Porsche that’s in front politely moves over and I pass and dive into the concrete road surface, Barry grinds his way over and I’m out lifting the front nearside and going no where. We’re now accelerating hard, will I lift for the next bend or keep my bottle and foot in? Nope I lift and then check brake into Höhe Acht - okay it’s first run of the next two days, plenty of time to improve I convince myself. The next section is great, it’s a series of sweeping fast left and rights before the infamous Brunnchen (where most of the YouTube videos are filmed), again I’m check braking and I detect a small amount of annoyance from Barry “where are your balls man” he’s saying, I apologise and tell him I left them in my wash bag this morning and hopefully during lunch I’ll get them!

I catch this black Honda Civic, he’s holding his line and holding me up, the Porsche catches us up and holds station - I like him, he knows the rules, the Civic makes a mistake coming into the top bend of Brunnchen and naughtily I take advantage and sneak through on his left, I’m then down into the spectator pit that is Brunnchen and then the right up to the nasty left that I never get right, now the lovely fast complex upto the mini carousel, I love this, but it’s fast and has two bends that look similar on entry, they are both blind, one goes right one goes left, making sure you don’t get them mixed up is kinda important especially if you are committed. We’re fairly committed and get it right, off down to mini carousel, Porsche has got past the mobile road block that is the Civic, but he’s history just a slight memory in my head, Barry and I are 120mph down here, I break for the right before the mini carousel complex! Barry tut’s - “dude less with the brakes already” he says, I agree sheepishly and then into mini carousel, don’t underestimate this bend, it bights especially rear wheel drive cars, Barry and I are through and accelerating hard to Galgenkopf, get the turn in right at the 186 board, down to the bridge and into Döttinger Hohe, foot to floor, let’s see what Barry will do, past the Devils Diner, running slightly uphill, 140mph indicated, car solid one circuit done onto the next!

I look down, oops, boost switch is in position one, I did all that in low power mode, right, switch to position 3, 300BHP - bring it on!

Wow how did I miss your write up Stuart, it was great to read and made me feel like I actually in the car with you, you didn'y use any grass though chinny laugh