» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Rob40, GDO, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics110,063
Posts1,307,157
Members2,845
Most Online546
Aug 30th, 2007
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 32,218
stan 32,098
Theresa 22,852
bockers 21,013
PeteP 19,173
JimO 17,908
Nigel 17,157
Jim_Clennell 16,332
Vickster 15,915
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Checking oil level hot vs cold #1631962
26/04/2019 13:43
26/04/2019 13:43
UK
Clintos Offline OP
Club member 1477
Clintos  Offline OP
Club member 1477
Enjoying the ride

UK
Has anyone done a comparison on oil levels from cold to hot?

What I mean is lets say the oil level is at the max mark when hot, then it should drop when cold right?

Im wanting to see how much oil I have in the coupe. After checking it cold, it sits right on the max mark. How much higher will the level rise when hot and do I have too much oil in the engine? Maybe someone could clearly say that 75% level when cold equals 100% level when hot.................

Another question I have is whether there is a low oil level warning on the dash and if so, how low would the oil need to be before it illuminates?
Surely I would I expect to see the oil pressure drop drastically under acceleration if I had a low oil level indication?

Finally, what are the symptoms of engine oil overfill and is it safe to run a slightly overfilled engine?

Cheers!
Clint

Fiat coupe 20VT LE
B9 Audi S4
KTM Superduke 990
Ducati Panigale V4 Speciale
Re: Checking oil level hot vs cold [Re: Clintos] #1631971
26/04/2019 17:51
26/04/2019 17:51
Kent
Submariner Offline
My job on the forum
Submariner  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent
The oil will show higher when cold as more oil drains down to the sump, it does on my other cars; from min to max on the dipstick is a litre or thereabouts on the 20vt.

Always check mine as per handbook when oil is hot and like to have mine at or near the top of the cross hatching. There is an oil warning light on the oil pressure gauge which self checks/comes on when the car is started; not all Coupe's have the oil pressure gauges mind I seem to remember. From what you have stated yours does not sound overfilled, personally a mm over the top hot would not cause me lost sleep other people may not agree think over fill cause cavitation/bubbles in the oil which prevents proper lubrication and can knacker seals etc

From the Buyers Guide on the Forum:

Oil consumption

The Fiat manual states that oil consumption can be up to 1 ltr per 1000 km’s – not far off what the Audi TT does, how ever there are a few that have been known not to use oil. This is a good check on the current owner, ask what oil he uses and ask him to show you how he does it – it should be check by the following way:

• Car should be parked on flat level ground
• Oil temp should be at normal running temperature
• Switch off engine and leave for approx 10 mins
• Pull out oil dip stick and wipe, re-insert and turn slowly around
• Pull out dip stick and observe the bottom of the dip stick where you will find a flattened hashed area
• Oil should be on the hashed area, from the bottom of the hashed area to the top of the hatch is approx 1 ltr of oil.

Last edited by Submariner; 26/04/2019 18:46. Reason: adding info
Re: Checking oil level hot vs cold [Re: Clintos] #1631979
26/04/2019 21:36
26/04/2019 21:36
uk
OnlyItalian Offline
Making a profit
OnlyItalian  Offline
Making a profit

uk
I warm the engine before topping up engine oil simply because I don't wait so long to re-check it with the dipstick because of a belief it doesn't take as long for it to settle in the sump.

No Idea if that is correct or if it's just some misconception I have. I've never scientifically tested my belief.

"Proud owner of LE141 and a 99 VIS broomie "
Re: Checking oil level hot vs cold [Re: Submariner] #1631984
27/04/2019 04:49
27/04/2019 04:49
UK
Clintos Offline OP
Club member 1477
Clintos  Offline OP
Club member 1477
Enjoying the ride

UK
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Submariner
The oil will show higher when cold as more oil drains down to the sump, it does on my other cars; from min to max on the dipstick is a litre or thereabouts on the 20vt.

Always check mine as per handbook when oil is hot and like to have mine at or near the top of the cross hatching. There is an oil warning light on the oil pressure gauge which self checks/comes on when the car is started; not all Coupe's have the oil pressure gauges mind I seem to remember. From what you have stated yours does not sound overfilled, personally a mm over the top hot would not cause me lost sleep other people may not agree think over fill cause cavitation/bubbles in the oil which prevents proper lubrication and can knacker seals etc

From the Buyers Guide on the Forum:

Oil consumption

The Fiat manual states that oil consumption can be up to 1 ltr per 1000 km’s – not far off what the Audi TT does, how ever there are a few that have been known not to use oil. This is a good check on the current owner, ask what oil he uses and ask him to show you how he does it – it should be check by the following way:

• Car should be parked on flat level ground
• Oil temp should be at normal running temperature
• Switch off engine and leave for approx 10 mins
• Pull out oil dip stick and wipe, re-insert and turn slowly around
• Pull out dip stick and observe the bottom of the dip stick where you will find a flattened hashed area
• Oil should be on the hashed area, from the bottom of the hashed area to the top of the hatch is approx 1 ltr of oil.

Fiat coupe 20VT LE
B9 Audi S4
KTM Superduke 990
Ducati Panigale V4 Speciale