» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (slime500), 320 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,421
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,659
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MINI nightmare #1641544
05/06/2020 18:44
05/06/2020 18:44
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Mrs MRS was back at work last summer following a year or two off as a carer for Eve and Eve needed a car for her new jobs as Billy Monger’s PA and PR assistant at Carlin - so I caved and let them buy a MINI Cooper convertible auto. There aren’t many autos about and eventually we asked a private dealership down the road from my brother that he’d bought from and recommended.

They found us the ideal car the same day and sent pictures saying, if it was what we wanted, they’d get it in and we could decide on it. We did and placed the order. Instead of the 2 weeks it was supposed to take, it was nearer 4 weeks and I persuaded them to drive it down to us. Unfortunately, I was away in Asia for 3 weeks when this happened. Mrs MRS inspected the car and accepted it.

Eve, being a bit more practical, found a few things she wasn’t impressed with, not least of all that it was properly filthy in the places they hadn’t cleaned. It was only 3 years old. When I got back, I was slightly dismayed but decided just to keep my fingers crossed. I did find a wing mirror chipped and a new tyre fitted in the wrong direction. To be fair, they sorted both.

Anyhow, a few months ago, the centre console started constantly rebooting. The Web said a common software fault but £130 to fix. Also the tyre pressure sensor constantly falsely indicates a problem. I contacted the dealer who didn’t reply for two weeks with multiple messages. They then said it wasn’t their problem. I posted a Google review and they changed their minds. This was the beginning of lockdown so it’s been on hold.

It finally stopped raining about the same time and Mrs MRS tried putting the roof down. It refused to lock. Nothing to be done but wait.

On Thursday, it went to the local MINI dealer to look at the problems, have a service and MOT.

They come back to say, indeed, the console was software and sorted but the horn doesn’t work and requires a new wheel (£525) and that the hood is bent. There’s an error code to say it was operated at speed. They blame this. I asked what mileage/time it was recorded. It turns out that it was only 50 miles after the seller had MOT’d it - so before it was delivered.

I argued that, despite it being the seller’s issue, the car shouldn’t let the hood move at speed. The MINI service people (who are fab) said they would raise a goodwill case with MINI.

Today they called me to say that MINI asked them to do some other checks and they’ve discovered that that the rear quarter panel has been repaired at some point. Where the tyre pressure sticker should be on the B-pillar, there’s the seller’s dealership sticker. They said MINI won’t consider a goodwill repair if the car has been crashed. Ironically, the seller says they bought it from a BMW sale.

Finally, in all of this, I went back to the pictures of the car that the seller sent me that we agreed to buy - and it’s a different car (reg plate).

The seller is going to collect the car and get it checked with his local BMW dealership. I’ve told him I don’t want it back.

Re: MINI nightmare [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1641582
07/06/2020 08:54
07/06/2020 08:54
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Sorry to hear your problems, MRS - not so much a MINI adventure...

Sounds like a familiar story of a dealer cutting corners and hoping to get away with it, compounded by some design flaws. I always feel sorry for the good guys (like the service people you praise above), who are caught in the crossfire between justly pissed-off customers and dodgy dealers.

I understand that it is very hard to make an honest living as a car dealer, as margins are pretty slim, but in which case, maybe it's time to get into a different business - or business model - because stiffing your customers is never, ever a good thing. OK, unless you're selling to ISIS or the KKK.

If you need reliable transport in the meantime, sir, I have a delightful Skoda Roomster that might fit the bill... Nippy, economical, etc, etc...

Re: MINI nightmare [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1641587
07/06/2020 11:07
07/06/2020 11:07
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Thanks, Jim - I’m sorry but I don’t think I could ever learn to love the Roomster.

I’ve just fixed the boy’s 500 and I we have the other and the Merc (plus a 32 BSA wink )

Re: MINI nightmare [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1641588
07/06/2020 11:29
07/06/2020 11:29
Corridor of Uncertainty
J
Jim_Clennell Offline
Forum veteran
Jim_Clennell  Offline
Forum veteran
J

Corridor of Uncertainty
Originally Posted by MeanRedSpider
Thanks, Jim - I’m sorry but I don’t think I could ever learn to love the Roomster.

Entirely fair point. One reason we got the BMW was that we realised that we owned 3 cars and had no passion for 2 of them. I respect the Roomster enormously and I love the Panda 4x4 for what it is, but the PT Cruiser? If someone hadn't already bought it, I'd consider setting it on fire just to get rid of it.

Would love to see the BSA in action!

Re: MINI nightmare [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1642313
01/07/2020 16:55
01/07/2020 16:55
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
The MINI saga has moved in the right direction in that the seller (independent dealership) has agreed to replace the car with something similar.

The problem is that there is a real shortage of secondhand cars being traded right now so it’s hard to find something and the prices are high for what few cars there are.