» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 195 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,440
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,521
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,296
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,662
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Advice on selling a dying coupe? #1648035
20/01/2021 16:34
20/01/2021 16:34
UK, Hertfordshire, Berkhamsted
Dan_B Offline OP
Dan_B  Offline OP

Hey All,

I have reached an unfortunate stage where my coop has given up. Started up the the other day and while it will start it dies very soon after with revs dropping into the <500 range so I usually cut it off at that point. Holding the throttle open doesn't really help either aside for the very first moments.

Unfortunately having spent quite a bit on keeping it in a fairly good shape and running over the last couple years I can't commit much more to it. I expect the car may need an engine rebuild at this stage and having COVID strangle my work I definitely cannot afford that (or to have the issue diagnosed & fixed).

Feel awful about the idea of scrapping it due to full history, keys, and all the other original booklets etc, but don't imagine there is much of a market for coop non-starters. Any advice from you guys on what you would do with this?

Absolutely in love with the car but have to face the facts, I need money and the best value may be in removing the alloys and radiator (both mint & upmarket) scrapping the car and selling those bits separately.

Firing on (almost) all cylinders
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Dan_B] #1648038
20/01/2021 17:46
20/01/2021 17:46
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club Rep Europe, member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Forum veteran

FCSS 01684 593187
Other then it cutting out what's up with?

I might be interested in it as a parts car.

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Dan_B] #1648039
20/01/2021 17:55
20/01/2021 17:55
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Lightwater, Surrey
How much time have you spent diagnosing and troubleshooting the problem(s) with help from the Forum? It could be something as simple as a loose hose on the inlet air piping from turbo via intercooler to ICV...

1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
1985½ & 2016 2017 Fiat 124 Spider + XF Sportbrake
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Dan_B] #1648042
20/01/2021 18:15
20/01/2021 18:15
norwich, norfolk
adam16vt Offline
Enjoying the ride
adam16vt  Offline
Enjoying the ride

norwich, norfolk
Have pm’d you smile

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Dan_B] #1648060
21/01/2021 11:11
21/01/2021 11:11
Dorchester
R
respace Offline
Enjoying the ride
respace  Offline
Enjoying the ride
R

Dorchester
The fault you describe doesn't sound that horrendous, obviously depends on what else is wrong/condition etc. It's usually rust not mechanicals that finishes them off.

Don't know if it's any use to you but there is a non-running 16vt on Ebay for £2k.

Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Dan_B] #1648061
21/01/2021 11:31
21/01/2021 11:31
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted by Dan_B
Hey All,

I have reached an unfortunate stage where my coop has given up. Started up the the other day and while it will start it dies very soon after with revs dropping into the <500 range so I usually cut it off at that point. Holding the throttle open doesn't really help either aside for the very first moments.

Unfortunately having spent quite a bit on keeping it in a fairly good shape and running over the last couple years I can't commit much more to it. I expect the car may need an engine rebuild at this stage and having COVID strangle my work I definitely cannot afford that (or to have the issue diagnosed & fixed).

Feel awful about the idea of scrapping it due to full history, keys, and all the other original booklets etc, but don't imagine there is much of a market for coop non-starters. Any advice from you guys on what you would do with this?

Absolutely in love with the car but have to face the facts, I need money and the best value may be in removing the alloys and radiator (both mint & upmarket) scrapping the car and selling those bits separately.

Dan_B, I understand your dilemma. Please take a moment to read through the aims of our club, which I quote here:

Started in 2002 to ensure the longevity of its members' cars. Run by its members and under the form of a non profit organisation, it promotes the cars via close relationships with magazines, runs the Forum where owners can share knowledge and experiences, arranges meetings, offers help with modifications and further develops the cars and replacements parts.

What contributors to your thread have pointed out is that, in the context of the above quote referring to the desire to keep coupés healthy and running for as long as possible, your problem may not be insurmountable.

Almost anything is repairable, even the devastation that aggressive tin-worm wreaks on certain target points. The chances of a solution to your problem, which is either mechanical or electrical, are likely to be far higher unless you have a catastrophic engine failure - but even that can be attended to.

Talking of breaking or scrapping on here is done through clenched teeth in accordance with the ethos stated above. There is so much experience on this forum, compared to the dwindling knowledge of coupé maintenance around the country, that it would surprise me if an answer or at least a lead were not forthcoming.

Long live the Fiat Coupé smile

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Edinburgh] #1648068
21/01/2021 18:36
21/01/2021 18:36
Dan_B Offline OP
Dan_B  Offline OP

Hi guys,

Apologies for not being straight back to you, had a bit of DIY that needed some urgent attention!

@Edinburgh Many thanks for the advice! I fully appreciate the aim of the club and sentiment of its goals in ensuring the longevity of the vehicles. I do not bring up scrapping the car with ease as it certainly has a place in my heart, however with things being rather tight at the moment I am unsure if I can still finance maintaining the car even if I can finance the diagnostic and repairs - though perhaps I am having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction!

I understand the common faults are often not mechanical with these cars as mentioned above, though I had originally bought the car with a friend that was much more mechanically minded than myself. He had the tools, general know-how and space to work on the car properly but now I am the sole owner. Sucks to admit but I am not educated enough or have the equipment to start pulling it apart solo and actually know what I'm looking at. I couldn't risk the potential massive amount of hours required to pay for a diagnosis, if a lot of disassembly is required.

As members are showing some interest in the car I will take some pictures and do a proper run-down when it is light tomorrow morning so there is more information for you.

Firing on (almost) all cylinders
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Dan_B] #1648072
21/01/2021 20:27
21/01/2021 20:27
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted by Dan_B
Hi guys,

Apologies for not being straight back to you, had a bit of DIY that needed some urgent attention!

@Edinburgh Many thanks for the advice! I fully appreciate the aim of the club and sentiment of its goals in ensuring the longevity of the vehicles. I do not bring up scrapping the car with ease as it certainly has a place in my heart, however with things being rather tight at the moment I am unsure if I can still finance maintaining the car even if I can finance the diagnostic and repairs - though perhaps I am having a bit of a knee-jerk reaction!

I understand the common faults are often not mechanical with these cars as mentioned above, though I had originally bought the car with a friend that was much more mechanically minded than myself. He had the tools, general know-how and space to work on the car properly but now I am the sole owner. Sucks to admit but I am not educated enough or have the equipment to start pulling it apart solo and actually know what I'm looking at. I couldn't risk the potential massive amount of hours required to pay for a diagnosis, if a lot of disassembly is required.

As members are showing some interest in the car I will take some pictures and do a proper run-down when it is light tomorrow morning so there is more information for you.

Best post in Technical for that then thumb

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Advice on selling a dying coupe? [Re: Countrycruising] #1648082
21/01/2021 22:28
21/01/2021 22:28
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Countrycruising  Offline
Forum veteran

FCSS 01684 593187
Originally Posted by Countrycruising
Other then it cutting out what's up with? .

Dan I'm still very interested to know more, or help so do please give me a call, I'd rather see it survive in comparison to possibly being parts!