» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 323 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,421
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,659
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? #525773
20/01/2008 20:47
20/01/2008 20:47

D
DeeTee
Unregistered
DeeTee
Unregistered
D

Hi Guyz.

Already related in thread http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=509933&fpart=2
that fitted a new cheapo radio/CD/MP3/SD/USB/Aux/etc unit midweek with ISO connections.

I guess I had a premonition then when I said all had gone okay & "Hopefully the car's battery won't be flat tomorrow...."

Hadn't used the car for last 48hrs. Tried to start the car this morning to head out for lunch with friends and instead of the 99.9% leap into life, it was one dead growl and silence.

Pleased to say a jump lead start from neighbour got me going and after 30 mile drive, it started again promptly after lunch (11V on meter, 13V when driving). I took the new radio out as finger of suspicion points 100% at it.

I'm assuming that the new radio unit has drained it over the last few days while OFF (I'm 99% sure I didn't leave it on though can't be 100.00% sure) - ie that the ISO feed labelled by them '12V ignition/Car Key symbol' MEANS ignition and NOT permanent 12V as provided by the std Fiat loom/ISO as the radio circuitry must be lazy (they got it to £40 somehow) ?

So two questions:

1) Does that seem feasible ? ie that drains away or is it likely it's just a faulty piece of junk ?

2) Othwerise is there a ready/simple way to provide 12V ignition ? I saw mention on here of tapping into cigarette lighter; but then also comments about unused connectors on fuse panel ?

Thanks for any input.

Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #526003
21/01/2008 07:02
21/01/2008 07:02

C
cheesy
Unregistered
cheesy
Unregistered
C

I've soldered a wire into the cigarette lighter loom for my ignition feed

Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #526191
21/01/2008 18:01
21/01/2008 18:01

D
DeeTee
Unregistered
DeeTee
Unregistered
D

Well pleased to say the support email for the Tevion replied promptly to my chase email.

They say the unit does require IGNITION SWITCHED power on its red/ISO7 lead and NOT a permanent feed.

So just looking for guidance as to best/simplest/elegant/safest way to implement that (no soldering iron here, lol).

Sounds to me as if there's some design weaknesses in their circuitry for it to use current while off but I guess that's what you get for £40 for a 3yr warranty item (though emails replied to personally within 2 hours is a service I bet very few ICE firms provide!)

Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #526404
21/01/2008 22:43
21/01/2008 22:43

D
DeeTee
Unregistered
DeeTee
Unregistered
D

Did a bit of digging around in the site and found this:
http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=367896#Post367896
Seems like a lot of soldering/etc though \:\(

The more I think about this the LESS HAPPY I am. Surely a 'fit for purpose'/'merchantable quality' radio should NOT drain that much juice when off (which I'm 99% sure it was) and shouldn't REQUIRE (per importer/support) an ignition switched 12v supply. After all the Clarion sat there very happily NOT killing my battery in 9 years, let alone 48hours! I'm leaning towards returning it to ALDI as not fit for purpose.

PS:
Been reading up about alternative units - eg Kenwood do a similar unit for not much more - and its manual specifically documents all the permutations of ISO 4/7 eg "The A4 yellow is not connected while A7 red is constant (or both A7 and A4 are constant)" ... "always make sure to turn off the unit's power when the ignition is turned off".

Argh

Last edited by DeeTee; 22/01/2008 05:38.
Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #527172
22/01/2008 21:23
22/01/2008 21:23

D
DeeTee
Unregistered
DeeTee
Unregistered
D

Well to wrap this one up....

I did some more research with Sony website (dreadful!); Panasonic (tallied with Kenwood, ie 100% supported idea of a permanent feed, and VW/Audi backtofront wiring); and had emailed Kenwood too and got a prompt/full personal reply confirming their models support permanent 12V as one would expect.

So on basis the Tevion was peverse in requiring an ignition switched feed; clearly consumed noticable power even when off; and hadn't had any expert input here: I decided to call it a day.

So back to Aldi it went - the supervisor hummed and hah'd a little bit as it was just over 30 days (their usual 'returns' period) but I guess she knew I wasn't going to take no for an answer so she gave me a full refund - so that's one annoying learning experience that the Coupe doesn't like the cheapest radio lol.

Gotta consider my options a lot more now - as the Tevion was all singing all dancing : ie FM/MW/LW and CD/MP3/WPA and Aux and USB and SD card - and need to be sure which features I need now (other than permanent 12V) while driving around with a silent/blank hole in the console...

Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #528348
24/01/2008 06:33
24/01/2008 06:33

T
the_mule
Unregistered
the_mule
Unregistered
T

hi i am not convinced it was your stereo that was causing the drain, [although it could be]i.e. an old alarm led can drain in 3 days, the dodgy wire`ng the coop has i.e the doors , worst of all the starter motor as i found last year, would be a good time to check with out a stereo in for a week or two maybe,

Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #528758
24/01/2008 22:13
24/01/2008 22:13

D
DeeTee
Unregistered
DeeTee
Unregistered
D

Hey Mule

Thanks for the idea, but I do think it would WAY too much of a coincidence for it to be some other new/novel cause. My lovely LE has only ever "let me down" once with the oil cooler/piping going on the M1 after 33000/5.5 years, and the OEM Clarion radio had not once been left on to deplete the battery.

Since my Sunday jumper-start and two 30 mile journeys, I've just tootled round town half a dozen times and Volts have remained at normal 11V on dash on start, and 13V when running and no hints of any starting problems.

So I'm reasonably sure that fitting the new radio had caused a sudden loss of juice that had only ever happened to me once before when the original battery was on its very last legs in the middle of a cold winter snap after 7.25 years (when £34 in Costco for a Bosch Silver 6PN came to my rescue).

The radio's UK distributor was adamant that to solve my battery drain problem I needed a 'switched' connection feeding their unit.

Anyway shall soon find out I guess as have fitted this afternoon a fresh Kenwood unit that's fully documented in the manual as wiring suited to permanent 12V supply, and confirmed by their UK support as such.

Nice thing about the Kenwood is that it's 'colour-coordinated' to the LE with a Titanium like surround, with black, and then relatively discrete Red illumination = made for the LE \:D

I am 100% sure it was OFF when I put the car in the garage this evening. (My test meter was showing steady 12V on ISO A pins 4 & 7 before fitting BTW.)

Tho you are of course right it MIGHT be coincidence AND as I originally said while I was 99% sure I'd turned the Tevion OFF before parking up the car, it's just POSSIBLE I might not have. Anyway it's an issue to be alert to; if nothing else for Coupe'rs to decide if you DO want to change the std radio wiring to be ignition switched to avoid any chance of such battery drain while car is off.

Fingers crossed anyway, and jumper leads kept in the boot!

DT

Last edited by DeeTee; 24/01/2008 22:25.
Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #533856
01/02/2008 19:06
01/02/2008 19:06

D
DeeTee
Unregistered
DeeTee
Unregistered
D

Yep one week one and battery has been fine. Even after 3 cold inactive days in the garage the volts were entirely normal and car starting fine so problem definitely 'cheapo' radio that didn't like permanently on supply.

Anyone else stimulated to say goodbye to their old cassette, the Kenwood KDC-W3037A (variant of the W311A I got from Argos with my vouchers) is £59.99 with free fitting at Halfords # 965715 right now (which would simplify things if you've lost your Clarion removal tools).

Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #535008
03/02/2008 22:13
03/02/2008 22:13

P
pfoe
Unregistered
pfoe
Unregistered
P

Well that might confound my problem of why my battery light is still on, its only started happening since my new head unit was in...

Re: Fault and/or best way for Ignition feed for radio? [Re: ] #535315
04/02/2008 04:32
04/02/2008 04:32

T
the_mule
Unregistered
the_mule
Unregistered
T

well done deetee im glad that its cured, and glad you sorted it your self well done again.