Fiat Coupe Club UK

The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says)

Posted By: AndrewR

The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 08:33

Last night the wife and I were discussing having a weekend away at the end of the month for her birthday. Glencoe was mentioned as a possible destination, which means miles of Scottish A-roads...

Me: Can we take my car?

Her: No.

Me: It will make the journey more interesting.

Her: No, it will make the journey more dangerous.

Me: It will be fun.

Her: No, I want a car where I can just get in and drive it and arrive somewhere. Your car always feels so ... fragile. It feels like it's doing you a favour by running and that at any moment it might just go, "Ah-ha! You thought you were going away, but you're not!"

Me: You said that about my last Coupé as well.

Her: Well it's just not nice to drive a car that's got more personality than you have.
Posted By: stan

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 08:40

Originally Posted By: AndrewR

Her: Well it's just not nice to drive a car that's got more personality than you have.

rofl

A woman of refreshing insight thumb
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 08:47

pmsl laugh

That last line is harsh!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 08:49

Good to know its not just the impression you give off on here, that sparks that reaction!! laugh

Tbh though, with my car giving me grief on Mon/Tue of this week, the missus made the sly comment last night..

"Coupes weren't supposed to be used over a Scottish Winter no?" frown

Ross

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 09:52

That coversation sounds familiar though usually the Coupe paranoia voice in my head that is telling me...
Posted By: samsite999

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 10:05

Hats off to your missus, she is bloody funny
Posted By: Theresa

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 10:21

Lol laugh

The Coupe would be great for driving to Scotland. If worried, join the AA and take the phone numbers of all Scottish members on here, as well as all the numbers of members between your house and Scotland laugh

What's the other choice of car to travel in? (I can't remember what your wife's car is).
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 10:34

Sabotage her car, take that, then when you break down two streets after leaving take the Coupe.

Other cars are prone to breaking down as well, you might as well have fun right before doing it. My sister just broke the engine on her 35k miles Chevy Kalos.
Posted By: came2dance

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 10:40

I've been to Scotland a few times in mine. Once following a snowplough through Glencoe cool and once having to turn back, aborting a day trip to dunoon and retiring to the log fire and single malt instead love but the coop was always good. Just put your foot down with a firm hand and tell her it's the coop or the motorbike!
Posted By: andyps

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 10:46

What it probably needs is a good run to clear it out and make it less fragile - a trip to Glencoe sounds perfect for that.

Took mine to Brittany at the end of last month and it is running more smoothly now than before.

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 11:52

Her car is a Mazda 6. As a Mondeo-a-like it's fine; comfortable, spacious, reasonably economical, but hardly a thrilling driving experience and the coop does seem much better suited to a weekend-away-from-the-kids sort of event.

Anyway, the point may be moot. Neither of the hotels in Glencoe that we normally stay in (The Isles of Glencoe and The Ballachulish) have got any rooms for the weekend that we want to go away.

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 11:56

Originally Posted By: Theresa
If worried, join the AA and take the phone numbers of all Scottish members on here, as well as all the numbers of members between your house and Scotland laugh

This is an option I'm sure for a few of the guys up here, for anyone travelling up on holiday.

Ross

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 13:19

Me: Can we take my car?

Her: No.

You have to ask to drive your own car??

It's clear who wears the pants in your relationship. laugh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 15:40

I can drive my car whenever I wish. No problems there.

Getting her to travel in it as well is a different matter.

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 15:41

I thought you were 'coopless'?
Posted By: chrissy

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 15:53

My Mrs never lets me take the Coupe's on weekends away, always her Megane CC!

She uses the old 'Its old and embarassing' line, She used to let me take the Cupra R & The Type R though!

Chrissy

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 15:59

My missus loves coops ... ummmmmm ... she especially likes it when I put my foot down in 3rd around 50mph, long motorway sliproads (joining), whenever I decide to pass someone, so on so forth laugh NOT!

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 16:12

Originally Posted By: patch234
I thought you were 'coopless'?

No, picked up an R-reg 20VT (in maroon, but sadly with black leather, rather than the proper colour) at the end of July.

My wife completely agrees that it's a much better car than the 1.6 Ford Focus that it replaced ... if you replace "completely" with "absolutely does not".
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 16:53

Damn, remind me to never swap wives with any of you guys, especially for weekends away.

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 17:08

No danger of that Kayjey

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 17:17

Originally Posted By: Kayjey
Damn, remind me to never swap wives with any of you guys, especially for weekends awayStan.

Fixed for you, Kayjey.

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 17:21

good to see that you have a challenge andrew with your partner, after all we know what you can be like on here so its probably about time you got some abuse back albeit a bit harsh lol. smile

for the last couple of weeks whilst my misses car has been in garage the coop has been the family wagon, thats two car seats in the back and a buggy filled boot. Yet we still managed to go shopping and do all the bits she can't live without.

The coupe in our house is now well respected to say the least laugh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 17:21

Originally Posted By: Kayjey
Damn, remind me to never swap wives with any of you guys, especially for weekends awayStan.

Fixed for you, Kayjey.

Soooo true! frown
Posted By: LuisFilipe

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 20:46

laugh laugh
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 23:14

Anyway, the point may be moot. Neither of the hotels in Glencoe that we normally stay in (The Isles of Glencoe and The Ballachulish) have got any rooms for the weekend that we want to go away.

Try Ard-na-Coille nr Newtonmore, a 5 star guest house, and see if you can get the 4 poster room to start off a romantic theme....
Posted By: came2dance

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 23:21

or just cross the bridge from The Ballachulish and try the loch Leven Hotel. They are half a mile yet worlds apart laugh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 09/11/2011 23:27

A bit further to Ft William and theres plenty places to stay, Ben Nevis hotel & leisure club for a start. Take the coupe and tell her mine regularly survives the journey so yours will be fine.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 10/11/2011 06:41

Mine has done it every winter, at least once from Hemel to Struan on Skye... never failed bar the once when the engine blew up half-way up Glen Coe on Christmas Eve.

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 10/11/2011 06:59

You should have knocked on Jimmy Saville's door, he had a little cottage up there. Say what you like about him but his mother made a decent brew and fruit cake......
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 10/11/2011 08:22

Did JS fix it for you Stan? Would this be a significant factor perhaps in persuading Mrs AR that taking the coop is the main man? laugh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 10/11/2011 08:58

Nah, he never touched me! shocked

laugh

We used to land the helicopter close to the cottage if we were out on exercise as there was an emergency fuel dump close by. We used to look to see if his Rolls Royce was sitting outside and if he was in he'd often come across for a chat. Seemed nice enough to us.

Not sure it would entice Mrs AR to take the coupé... laugh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 10/11/2011 09:01

Well the trip may be back on - it turns out it's the first weekend in December we're thinking of going away, not the last weekend in November.
Posted By: Hovedan

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 10/11/2011 10:42

Love that last line from your wife. Invoked the biggest laugh from me this week rofl

Before Truffle or Marco ask, pics of the good lady?

Cracking sense of humour she has thumb

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 10/11/2011 12:54

Originally Posted By: Hovedan

Before Truffle or Marco ask, pics of the good lady?

Yes, I'll sell you some, PM me wink

laugh

Re: The reason not to drive a coop (sh*t my wife says) - 11/11/2011 19:26

You lot are so lucky your women will not get in your cars. Mine goes missing every time my wife goes out and I am in frown

She brought my first Coupe back that I had years ago with dents to the front, sides and back all at the same time. She was in tears when she came home, worried about how I would take the news. Her then boss didn't see it in the staff carpark. He was in a 4x4. He reversed into it and carried on, pushing the front through two concrete bollards, one on each side. He is a solicitor. He tried to get me to pay half shocked Told him where to go. Wife was still in probation period and got finished a month later irked Was a family firm, and the rest of his family wanted him to keep her on, but he had made his mind up. Luckily that was the last time she has taken a car of mine out and brought it back damaged. Next time would be the last though.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK