Fiat Coupe Club UK

old or new 20vt project

Posted By: Anonymous

old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 02:00

hi guys my first ever post, need general advice, do i do a stage 3 project inc suspension and all engine mods on my slightly ropy coupe i already own and then eventually swap everything over when i come across my dream coupe (sprint 20vt plus) or should i hold on get the coupe i really want first then start there? would love to hear other peeps opinions thanks
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 03:52

I'd buy the good coupe first, go down the tuning path and you'll exhaust your funds before you know it and and up with a crap but quick coupe.

Buy the nice one first and you'll always have a nice coupe no matter what state of tune it's in.

They aren't exactly slow even in standard form.

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 06:17

hi jimbo yea im leaning towards your way of thinking, its just the coupe i have may be hard to sell especially as the turbo seals are away because the previous owner put a decat pipe on it,so i thought id start with what i had, also my dream coupe might be even harder to come buy (sprint blue plus).

but one thing is for sure though, i love these fiat 20vt coupe,s, i work as i car rental delivery driver and with this job i get to drive lots of cool cars, everything from audi tt,s to range rover sports to Porsche boxters but for me theres not just one thing but many good things about the coupe that no matter what i had been driving all day nothing makes me smile the way the coupe does.

so i defiantly want to go down the full stage 3 route to see what i end up, but unsure what to do with my coupe even if i got the turbo reconed with 360 bearings and gapped seals there is many coupes better than mine going for less than 1500 quid

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 09:02

Like Jimbo said buy your dream coupe first then spend your money doing that to the standard you want.

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 09:13

I agree with Jimbo, although I am going down the other route. I am about to put a recently rebuilt engine in to give her a better chance of handling the extra power. Once all the mods are fitted and she has been remapped I will have spent as much as buying a nice specimen, but at least I will know all the work has been done correctly. On the downside she will not be worth anywhere near what I spend on her. On the other hand you can buy a more expensive Coupe then still have to spend on it.

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 09:19

Why pay for the labour of installing all of your nice bits twice?

Buy the decent car first.
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 09:38

Did they do a sprint blue plus?
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 09:47

Of course. I bought a brand new one in 2000.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 09:58

Originally Posted By: walker786
hi guys my first ever post,

Er, apart from the other 35 posts, going back to 2010....

However, my answer would be to base a project on the best Coupe you can find - it'll last longer
Posted By: MarioCirillo

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 10:06

Originally Posted By: walker786
hi guys my first ever post

Im pretty sure its your 35th post laugh

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 10:09

You could buy a sound non Plus sprint blue 20vt and put Plus bits on as funds allow, a lot easier than trying to a Sprint Plus.
Posted By: Boosted7

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 10:33

Only problem with buying your dream coupe first is that you may die of old age before a sprint blue plus comes up for sale. Unless you can tempt Ed to sell his, which I doubt somehow laugh
Posted By: Ed

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 16:41

Originally Posted By: Boosted7
Unless you can tempt Ed to sell his, which I doubt somehow laugh

Just spent a load of money on it, so it doesn't look likely anytime soon laugh

Re: old or new 20vt project - 05/01/2012 20:32

hi folks thanks for all your opinions i really appreciate it as i have been mulling over what to do for such a long time and now i finally have saved up to get the project started, and after reading your opinions i think i want to get a nice coupe first then like jimbo says at least i will have a coupe that i will be happy with and its only going to get better with time and money,

ps im sure thay never done a sprinty in le but thay did them in the plus,

so next question who is willing to sell me there plus sprinty (pritty please ed)

Moderator; please apply for selling permissions and post adverts in the correct part of the forum
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK