Fiat Coupe Club UK

28K 20VT plus in NZ

Posted By: Scuderia

28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 00:55

Link

A rare find in NZ and very low miles too. It's good to see some poeple are prepared to pay decent money.
Posted By: mayzon

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 01:05

Haha love the shag pile seats! This man P I M P laugh

28k phew!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 06:32

No sheep were harmed in the production of this car... oh, wait -
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 10:03

Apart from the sheep seat covers sick , it looks in very good shape indeed. I think it's worth the asking price. That nice looking engine has only done 45,000 km - I didn't know that NZ uses the metric system...

Does that plate "BRIOSO" have a meaning in English? It's not a common word in Portuguese, but it can mean "proud, generous, mettlesome".
Posted By: PeteP

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 10:21

As an aside, yesterday I learnt from Wildct_lgf, our latest Antipodean club member that the NZ registration plate FCCUK is available.

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 10:46

Originally Posted By: petep
As an aside, yesterday I learnt from Wildcat_lgf, our latest Antipodean club member that the NZ registration plate FCCUK is available.

laugh

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 11:00

Originally Posted By: CJustino
Apart from the sheep seat covers sick , it looks in very good shape indeed. I think it's worth the asking price. That nice looking engine has only done 45,000 km - I didn't know that NZ uses the metric system...

Does that plate "BRIOSO" have a meaning in English? It's not a common word in Portuguese, but it can mean "proud, generous, mettlesome".

That's an interesting comment; why wouldn't NZ use the metric system? The speedo is in km/h only by chance. Some coupes have mph speedos. It just depends where they were purchased from. There are only 6-7 of these in nz.

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 11:08

I think I've see this Plus around Shirley/Pemberton, Christchurch and I nearly wet myself.
There's a 16V Blitz too owned by Rowan in CC.
Posted By: magooagain

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 12:42

I stoped at a guys house in the south island after seeing a red coupe in his drive. Nice guy,he had loads of Alfa's in the back yard one was track prepaired. He said he also has a pal that has a track coupe also.

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 11/01/2013 14:21

Originally Posted By: Scuderia

That's an interesting comment; why wouldn't NZ use the metric system? The speedo is in km/h only by chance. Some coupes have mph speedos. It just depends where they were purchased from. There are only 6-7 of these in nz.

I didn't think it was that obvious. Due to the NZ's (and Australia's) historical relations with the UK, I thought both countries still used the imperial system. Just like driving on the left side of the road and having the steering wheel on the right, for the same reason.

After doing a brief search on the Web, I know now that the metrication started around 1970. Is that correct?

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 00:47

I think it was the 60's sometime but I don't really know, it was before my time. Being accused of still using the imperial system is, in a way, a bit of an insult! smile

I have always assumed the reverse; that most countries have converted to the metric system by now. It is only the UK that is stuck in the mud over the issue.

Google says only Liberia, Berma, USA and the UK officially continue with imperial. I dont know about Berma and Liberia but the USA has officially been metricated, only the people keep using the old system.

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 07:59

So has the UK. From memory, only road distances and beer still use the imperial measurements by default.

But remember, the average UK citizen finds it hard to cope when things are made easier:
  • 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, 1,760 yards to the mile
  • 100 links to the chain, 10 chains to the furlong, 8 furlongs to the mile
  • 1 chain by one furlong = 1 acre; 640 acres = one square mile
  • 1 rod = 1 perch = 1 pole; 4 poles to the chain, 40 poles to the furlong
  • 1 span = 9 inches; 2 spans = 1 cubit; 2 cubits = 1 yard; 3 cubits = 1 ell; 32 ells = 1 bolt

Weights:
  • 16 ounces to the pound; 14 pounds to the stone; 8 stone to the hundred weight; 20 hundredweight to the ton

And let us not forget money:
  • 2 farthings to the halfpenny
  • 2 halfpennies to the penny
  • 3 pennies to the threepenny bit
  • 4 pennies to the groat
  • 2 threepenny bits to the tanner
  • 2 tanners to the bob
  • 2 bob and a tanner to the half crown (aka half a dollar)
  • 2 half crowns to the crown
  • 2 crowns to the ten bob note
  • 2 ten bob notes to the quid
  • and add a bob for a guinea

But the British fought like lions against metrication because it was too complicated... funny thing, all those currencies were legal tender until 1971 (1960, for the farthing) and the groat and the crown still are (for ceremonial money; actual value may differ from face value); the guinea is still used to buy horses and for racing.
Posted By: jimboy

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 10:06

Originally Posted By: barnacle
So has the UK. From memory, only road distances and beer still use the imperial measurements by default.

But remember, the average UK citizen finds it hard to cope when things are made easier:
  • 1 span = 9 inches; 2 spans = 1 cubit; 2 cubits = 1 yard; 3 cubits = 1 ell; 32 ells = 1 bolt

Weights:
  • 16 ounces to the pound; 14 pounds to the stone; 8 stone to the hundred weight; 20 hundredweight to the ton

And let us not forget money:
  • 2 farthings to the halfpenny
  • 2 halfpennies to the penny
  • 3 pennies to the threepenny bit
  • 4 pennies to the groat
  • 2 threepenny bits to the tanner
  • 2 tanners to the bob
  • 2 bob and a tanner to the half crown (aka half a dollar)
  • 2 half crowns to the crown
  • 2 crowns to the ten bob note
  • 2 ten bob notes to the quid
  • and add a bob for a guinea

But the British fought like lions against metrication because it was too complicated... funny thing, all those currencies were legal tender until 1971 (1960, for the farthing) and the groat and the crown still are (for ceremonial money; actual value may differ from face value); the guinea is still used to buy horses and for racing.
Aye this brings back memories. Back in the day even the thickest kid in school had an understanding of all this. Ah happy days.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 13:31

My lad didn't have to learn the 11 and 12x tables, as there "is no need to". Unfortunately they seem to have stopped teaching the 1-10x tables now rolleyes

Decimilisation was a total rip off. As a lad at the time even I sussed the blatant rip off. Bazooka Joes were 1d each, so I could buy 12 for a shilling. Post decimalisation they were 1/2p so I could get 10 for 5p, the supposed "new shilling", a 17% loss in Bazooka Joes. To emphasise the scale of consumer rip off thats 40 less to the £.

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 13:39

Originally Posted By: Roadking

My lad didn't have to learn the 11 and 12x tables, as there "is no need to". Unfortunately they seem to have stopped teaching the 1-10x tables now rolleyes

Decimilisation was a total rip off. As a lad at the time even I sussed the blatant rip off. Bazooka Joes were 1d each, so I could buy 12 for a shilling. Post decimalisation they were 1/2p so I could get 10 for 5p, the supposed "new shilling", a 17% loss in Bazooka Joes. To emphasise the scale of consumer rip off thats 40 less to the £.

That is soooo true grr

I also seem to remember (i may have imagined this) that all the shops put their prices up anyway due to "adjusting" to decimilisation so they got us 2 ways!!!

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 20:15

But on the other hand, the observant amongst us noted that the old halfpenny was the same size and weight as the new 2p coin, and there were an awful lot of chocolates in machines that cost (ahem) 2p...
Posted By: jimbob13

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 20:21

Decimilisation happened before my time, but just out of curiosity does anyone know when the 1/2p was phased out?
Posted By: magooagain

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 20:24

Posted By: jimbob13

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 20:27

Thank you. That explains why i have a vague memory of it, but mrs jimbob doesn't, i would've been 4 years old, she would only have been 2. smile
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 21:00

(Re the barnacle)

(But on the other hand, the observant amongst us noted that the old halfpenny was
the same size and weight as the new 2p coin, and there were an awful lot of chocolates in machines that cost (ahem) 2p...)

When I started out as an apprentice electrician the imperial switch/socket boxes knockouts were the same size as tanners. Put loads into phone boxes listening to dial a disc. 16 on the dial If memory serves can also remember when propper mars bars were only a tanner too . (2.5 pence)
Posted By: Roadking

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 21:20

Serving in Germany PMP (pre-mobile phones) it was common knowledge that the 1s/5p was the same size as 1DM. Local phone booths did roaring trade from squaddies, but weren't particularly cost effective smile

One lad dropped the jackpot in our Mess fruit machine. His 150DM jackpot included 90 odd 5p pieces laugh
Posted By: Robotrish

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 21:42

Can also remember when working in the smoke in 80s if you put ducting/silver foil on one side of a 10p the phone read it as a 50p

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 12/01/2013 23:54

[quote=Scuderia

That's an interesting comment; why wouldn't NZ use the metric system? The speedo is in km/h only by chance. Some coupes have mph speedos. It just depends where they were purchased from. There are only 6-7 of these in nz. [/quote]

Is that all?
ones i know....
Blair
Andy
Me
Nick
pearl white one
one mentioned here
Blk one i saw this morning

thats seven already and must be a fair few more?
Posted By: Possum

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 13/01/2013 00:09

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
I think it was the 60's sometime but I don't really know, it was before my time.

I remember passing my driver's licence in 1968 and we had to know the parking distance (in feet) from the approach and departure sides on a Tram Stop. The trams were removed from our (Brisbane's) roads on 13th April 1969 as were our Trolley Buses.

Australia changed to decimal currency on 14th February 1966.
Posted By: Possum

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 13/01/2013 00:18

Barnacle, you forgot 40 perches to a rood and 4 roods to an acre.

Being a Yachtie, we still talk in Nautical Miles, being 6080 feet. Of course, one minute of Latitude is also a NM and hence there is no scale of distance on an Admiralty Chart.

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 13/01/2013 00:41

Originally Posted By: th130

Is that all?
ones i know....
Blair
Andy
Me
Nick
pearl white one
one mentioned here
Blk one i saw this morning

thats seven already and must be a fair few more?

OK, So I had a check, 11 were registered new between 2001-2002. 3 in 2000 which are probably not plus models.

No idea on Imports, probably a lot now!

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 13/01/2013 08:41

Originally Posted By: Possum

Barnacle, you forgot 40 perches to a rood and 4 roods to an acre.

I figured that was confusing even by imperial measures: I mean, a perch is *either* one rod or one rod square, depending what you're talking about...

Quote:
Being a Yachtie, we still talk in Nautical Miles, being 6080 feet. Of course, one minute of Latitude is also a NM and hence there is no scale of distance on an Admiralty Chart.

Which is why the nautical mile came about, of course - same reason as the km, except that that's based on one French minute of arc based on 100 grads to the quadrant.

And let us not forget that the NM isn't *quite* one minute; it's a touch different at the poles and at the equator, what with the world being all squidgy and out of shape.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 13/01/2013 11:52

As an ex-mariner I remember the nautical mile as being 2000 yards wirh 10 cables to the NM. I don't recall the extra 80 feet.

1 knot is 1 NM per hour.

What really gets my goat is people, very often journalists, who insist on speaking of knots per hour.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: 28K 20VT plus in NZ - 13/01/2013 11:56

Maybe they're talking about how fast boats can accelerate?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK