Fiat Coupe Club UK

Owners Guide Pictures

Posted By: Downhillryder

Owners Guide Pictures - 03/01/2014 11:54

I have a copy of the Joe Knight (countrycruising) and Neil Barnes (barnacle)'s "Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide"

It's great but to be honest some of the pictures in my copy are a little dark to discern some of the detail.

Would it be an idea (if possible) for Joe or Neil to post the original pictures in a "project thread" so that members can view/zoom in on the detail from the forum ? I think that would be a great enhancement.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 03/01/2014 12:57

Thanks for the feedback, DHR - we spent a lot of time sorting the pictures (the first attempt were *seriously* gloomy!) but unfortunately we're a bit constrained by the print format.

A full photo-quality book would have cost fifty quid a copy just to *print*...

I'll have a word with the board to make sure we're not breaking any rules; if they're all happy then we can post the original full-size images.

If not, I'll stick them on my website - I'll probably do that anyway, but they'll be better here, I think.

Neil
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 03/01/2014 16:41

Accessible to members only.... evil

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 03/01/2014 17:07

Yes I didn't mean to imply a "freebie".

You could make them members only or even password protect the pictures using a specific word from a specific page of the book so that only purchasers of the book can view.

I would like to say I think the book is a great asset to a new owner of a Coupe. thanks
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 03/01/2014 17:11

Originally Posted By: barnacle
Thanks for the feedback, DHR - we spent a lot of time sorting the pictures (the first attempt were *seriously* gloomy!) but unfortunately we're a bit constrained by the print format.

A full photo-quality book would have cost fifty quid a copy just to *print*...

I'll have a word with the board to make sure we're not breaking any rules; if they're all happy then we can post the original full-size images.

If not, I'll stick them on my website - I'll probably do that anyway, but they'll be better here, I think.

Neil

I agree some of the pics could have been clearer, but recognise the printing constraints.
As Simon suggests, pics access to members only would add to the club's list of "benefits?"
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 03/01/2014 23:05

Originally Posted By: Downhillryder

Would it be an idea (if possible) for Joe or Neil to post the original pictures in a "project thread" so that members can view/zoom in on the detail from the forum ? I think that would be a great enhancement.

Great idea thumb

From the off I would have liked colour pics but as Neil has pointed out the costs would of sky rocketed frown

Still a great book though smile

Can we add a link to the pics on the sticky?

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 08:35

As a courtesy to members, the pictures from the book are now posted in the members' section. It's obvious when you get there...

You'll still need the book to know what the pictures are about, of course laugh

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 08:42

Note: the first time you click on the page you're downloading two or three hundred megabytes while the thumbmails are loaded... be warned!
Posted By: Richie007

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 10:18

I'll be getting the book for my birthday in Feb so it looks like I'll be a member in Feb as well so I can see the photos. A New Forum user and New owner!!
Posted By: Richie007

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 10:22

Is the link the only place to purchase the book from

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 10:23

Either from the link (which takes you to Lulu, the print-on-demand place) or from Joe (countrycruising) - but he hasn't got any until probably the end of next week.

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 14:42

Note: the first time you click on the page you're downloading two or three hundred megabytes while the thumbmails are loaded... be warned!

Too late, I already sent you a PM as it pretty well crashed mine!

I'd have posted on the thread but for the above - basically it suggested dividing up the pictures into "chapters" in separately-defined threads if that doesn't sound completely off-the-wall....

A fantastic resource to have nevertheless smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 22:21

Tbf if you purchase the book you would expect to have a decent quality of picture without also having to pay to be a member of the club?

I think the book is a great idea and well done for producing it but it would put me off buying it if I also had to pay to view useable pictures.
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 22:43

The pictures are usable. Some people just want high res pictures to look at. Do haynes manuals come with a DVD with high res pictures?

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 04/01/2014 22:52

Originally Posted By: Kayjey
The pictures are usable. Some people just want high res pictures to look at. Do haynes manuals come with a DVD with high res pictures?

The op sates that some of the pictures are too dark to be discernible. I repeat that I think the book is a great idea and that I'm sure a lot of work was put into it - but what is wrong with making them viewable by anybody who buys a copy of the book, why do they also have to be a member of the club? A simple password would work.

Don't circle the wagons mate, I'm only making a point.
Posted By: ceg

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 02:06

Originally Posted By: Pinnin
Originally Posted By: Kayjey

The op sates that some of the pictures are too dark to be discernible. I repeat that I think the book is a great idea and that I'm sure a lot of work was put into it - but what is wrong with making them viewable by anybody who buys a copy of the book, why do they also have to be a member of the club? A simple password would work.

Don't circle the wagons mate, I'm only making a point.

Have you given any thoughts to selling the book as a pdf or in a drm-protected format? When it comes to the pictures, I have to agree with the op (but certainly the book is a great idea, as pinin says). The download from the members area brought my iPad down also, but so do some newspapers so perhaps it is time for me to upgrade anyway. However, a dedicated electronic version with colourful original pictures would be great!

Carl

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 09:43

Ok, let's try this... if you have a copy of the book, click here. which will take you to a login page.

Use the email address ownersguide@dnbprojects.co.uk and for the password use the last word on page 110 (this may change from time to time), without any punctuation.

That should give you access to the high-res images. Unfortunately the view doesn't include the names of the images until you select one, so you might have to count...

We don't have any plans for releasing an ebook or pdf: for one thing, the file is in excess of a quarter-gig, and for the second the number of internal references make it significant work to rebuild an epub file to be simple to navigate - you can't really have page numbers in a streamed text.

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 16:41

Not working for me Neil, keeps asking for an email address....
Posted By: ceg

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 17:08

Worked for me. Thanks!

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 17:12

Now working for me smile

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 18:27

Purple not bright enough, eh, Simon? tongue

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 20:21

Purple not bright enough, eh, Simon? tongue

Corrected that for you Neil. box

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 05/01/2014 22:43

Joe & Neil - The pictures are brilliant - thank you

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 06/01/2014 01:12

Hey Mr Barnacle, you said you would colour in a special edition copy (in pen, not crayon)- just for me, in return I'll put an add in "The" shoe shop window !!!

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 06/01/2014 02:01

Ok, let's try this... if you have a copy of the book, click here. which will take you to a login page.

Use the email address ownersguide@dnbprojects.co.uk and for the password use the last word on page 110 (this may change from time to time), without any punctuation.

What if you want to view hi-res pics but your lying in in your nice warm bed reading this on your Ipad/Tablet/phone and can't be arsed to get up and look for the book that you haven't seen since before Xmas. Didn't think of that did you. wink
There must be an easier way wink

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 06/01/2014 06:21

What?

You don't have the book at your side, waking or sleeping?

I'm shocked! Shocked and disappointed, I say...

Re: Owners Guide Pictures - 06/01/2014 07:21

biglaugh
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK