Fiat Coupe Club UK

fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!!

Posted By: Anonymous

fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 28/01/2014 16:40

I took my 1995 2.0 16v coop into fiat today to diagnose an injector light coming on the dash .35 quid for the test, just waiting to see what it brings up. I just wondered how much they would sting me for an injector or whatever needs replacing ! Looking forward to their phone call tomorrow to let me know the damage lol .

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 28/01/2014 16:48

I bet it's the thermostat…… Let us know smile

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 28/01/2014 17:13

parked up for 20 mins last night, light stayed on for about 1 minute then went off [ engine was pretty cold as parked up for 2 hours before that ] Did have to turn key 3 times today to start it today outside Halfords in Nuneaton ?

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 28/01/2014 17:18

Well, I'm not too sure what the issue is Glenn, but when my injector light has come before its been the thermo! Good luck mate!

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 28/01/2014 17:39

Same as patch.....Must have been Research FIAT then glenn?

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 28/01/2014 17:46

yep, the one by the hospital in nuneaton, hope they put it under cover tonight in the workshop !!

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 07:25

I'm suprised they remembered the Coupe..... MotorMech in Brum would've been cheaper (and more knowledgeable I would would have thought!)
Posted By: daithi28

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 09:35

The few times I bothered to call to a Fiat dealership for parts etc the converstaion would normally be as follows;

Fiat: What model of car is it?

Me: Fiat Coupé

Fiat: Aye, but what model of Fiat?

Me: The Fiat COUPÉ, a 20v turbo....

Fiat: Aye, so a a 2 door job. Is it a Punto?

Me: (Pointing at the my car through the dealership window). No, there it is over there. It's simply called the Fiat Coupé, or the Coupé Fiat if you're in mainland Europe.

Fiat: Gosh, I haven't seen one of those in years. They were only available as a grey import, I think. We never sold them officially through Fiat.

Me: (backing away slowly from the parts counter). Is that my phone ringing? I'll be back in a minute (jumps in the car and takes off).

Me: (later that day, on the phone)Is that Alternative Autos. Great. I'm looking for (insert part here). You have them in stock? Great etc etc etc.

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 10:00

smile Glad I'm not the only one!

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 12:51

Just using it for handiness purposes, though it is still in there and ive heard nothing yet..the 2 other garages i went to in nuneaton didnt have the software for this model so out of desperation used a mains dealer [ 1st time ever i should add ! ] Dont usually go to these places , i once asked how much a radiator cost for this car and it was nearly 200 quid ! So i got one off ebay for 60 and even Mr Bravo commented it was a good un .
Posted By: danb052k

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 13:01

The last time i took my coupe to a Fiat main dealer he looked at it, and asked me "is it the GTV mate?" me - "erh no, it's a Fiat..." him - "yeah, the GTV?" me - "...Thanks for your help today, bye"!

...and now it goes to Roger at Poweritalia, usually on a flat bed truck!!

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 14:23

just had Fiat on the phone...they cant read the ecu on their diagnostics machine either ! I notice 2 people suggesting the thermostat [ would that be the sensor or the whole thermostat that you replaced to sort the problem ] as the garage are ringing up soon and i may ask them to fit whatever you suggest i need , that fixed your cars . Thanks, Glenn

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 14:40

just been on phone to motormech in bham, "if the lights not on , then its not picking up any fault", so dont worry they say [easier said than done lol ! ]

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 15:03

Have you not noticed its been running cold lately or theres been little heat from the heater? Any idea when the Thermo was last done? I would go by MotorMech every time......Most main dealers will only really be interested in their current model range to be honest..

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 16:00

heaters fine, no record of any thermostst change ever . Will book it in for a service soon, hasnt had one for a while.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 16:18

You can get them from Alternative Autos and would be as well getting the green-top thermostat as well.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 16:31

If the 16v is anything like the 20v, if the injector light coming on is caused by the thermostat sticking open (and/or coolant temp sensor) leading to "cool" coolant (or apparentkly cool coolant) then you should notice the radiator fans coming on at the same time, plus the engine runs a bit poorly, but runs OK when the fault clears itself after a while, or if you switch off and restart the engine.

Any Fiat dealer that's been around a while (> 10 years) should know about using their Examiner system with the old 3 pin connector, maybe they don't know where the connector is?

Ask the garage if they have anything to do diagnostics on pre-2000 no-OBD cars, and check on here for where the connector is (isn't it on the bulkhead somewhere?). Is it a 16v turbo you have or N/A?

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 16:34

straight 16v non turbo..just been on the phone to johnny bravo and the guy at fiat in nuneaton rang him up for advice....says it all really !!!!!!!!
Posted By: barnacle

Re: fiat dealership, could be costly ?!!! - 29/01/2014 19:00

The sixteen controls its fans *only* from the thermo switch on the side of the radiator and the aircon, if fitted. The ECU has nothing to do with it.

Glenn, there's some free software here that might help you (unless it's all too late...) http://www.nailed-barnacle.co.uk/coupe/startrek/startrek.html

From my past history with the 16NA, pretty much the only thing that turns on the injector light *and allows it to turn off without restarting the engine* is a tired lambda sensor.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK