Fiat Coupe Club UK

Rare as rocking horse.....

Posted By: Anonymous

Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 14:21

After 7 years of trying my 16vt baby is finally back looking pretty and running, but needs a thermostat.

Does anyone know where i can ring to get one without being laughed at? This is turning into one of the hardest car tasks i have ever had!

Thanks in advance
Posted By: one4seven

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 14:32

Have you tried Steve at Alternative Autos?
Posted By: adam16vt

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 14:38

I'd try halfords, not ideal I know but I assume they check stock with all the local motor factors.....

Saves you the effort, nothing on ebay sadly
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 15:16

I doubt if Halfords will have them. As above, try Steve at Alternative Autos. 01484 865086

Edit, I have just been talking to them on another matter and asked about 16vt thermostats. They don't have any unfortunately.

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 16:17

you could try these people, they had a thermo for my 16v, arrived quickly no problems at all with them..[bandel-autoteile], but on ebay.. based in berlin.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 16:23

Sounds like some enterprising person needs to develop an aftermarket bodgesolution. Having just thrown out my original 'stat (having hung on to it for years after it broke due to the over-tall water intercooler, pressing down on the main outlet pipe to the radiator, you can see the old wax "valve" inside) I wonder if it might be possible to remove the old "valve" (or just leave it there if it is stuck open as typically happens) and use an external "in pipe" thermostat, assuming that such a thing exists? AFAIK the 'stat opens to let coolant flow to the radiator only, so a simple one way (open or closed) valve might do?

How about something like this or this (seems like a common mod for some cars?)

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 16:24

Originally Posted By: glenn1960
you could try these people, they had a thermo for my 16v, arrived quickly no problems at all with them..[bandel-autoteile], but on ebay.. based in berlin.

...and they do speak english !
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 17:08

The problem with using an in-hose solution is that the original thermostat also closes a bypass(?) pipe when it opens as the engine gets up to temperature to allow coolant to the radiator.

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 17:48

see " thermostat " thread 14/01/2014 . Might be of some use ?
Posted By: acc67

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 18:24

I've got a Lancia integrale 16v sat at work waiting to go on mine. By the looks of it the small pipe going to the throttle body will need to be swapped from the old one and also the take off for the oil cooler is not drilled/tapped, I haven't decided if I'm going to put the take off in or run it without the oil cooler looped connected.
The stat is a BEHR C66283 Alfshop in Norwich got it for me
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 02/05/2014 21:36

The thread Glenn pointed to has all the details, I think. Turbo versions are easier to come by than NA.

DaveG, Joe and I have been looking at a way to repair (i.e. replace the wax cartridge) the existing one, but it's a devil of a job; it's crimped into the housing and we can't see an obvious way to repair it after we break the crimp.

It would be simpler to modify a turbo version to drill and tap the remaining spigot, I think.

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 03/05/2014 00:23

I'm guessing the turbo/lancia are similar if not the same and has been 'shown the drill' so it will not take much to drill and tap it.

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 03/05/2014 06:19

The NA and turbo versions share the same casting, but there's one extra pipe comes from the NA version; that's where the turbo casting isn't drilled.

Here you go: one left... clicky

Though the price seems to have gone up since I bought mine (can't find the original receipt). That's probably the law of supply and demand.
Posted By: szkom

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 03/05/2014 08:36

If the picture in the ad is indicative of the shape needed could you not have a new stat housing made to take a cartridge?

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 03/05/2014 12:08

Yes, that would be the logical approach; it's only the black exit pipe to the left that's controlled. You'd need to make it in two parts, but it's not a complex shape provided you can find a suitable cartridge. Someone with a CNC milling machine could turn one out in a short time, I would feel.

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 03/05/2014 13:39

The Lancia/turbo one was £70ish, half the price if you're prepared for a little work!
Posted By: Scuderia

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 03/05/2014 15:27

I bought one from shop4parts about 2 years ago. I see they are no longer available. However 16V NA is currently available

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 04/05/2014 12:38

After a week of trying it seems putting a delta 16v one on and drilling it will be the best option. I will let you know when it works ( optimistic) thanks for all the input

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 04/05/2014 12:38

After a week of trying it seems putting a delta 16v one on and drilling it will be the best option. I will let you know when it works ( optimistic) thanks for all the input

Re: Rare as rocking horse..... - 06/05/2014 18:38

I ventured so far as to open the bonnet and compare the old thermostat with the delta 16v one. There is two holes that need drilling/tapping and not just one the oil cooler and also one for the upper(blue) temp sensor by the looks of it they're M16x1.5 and M12x1.5
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK