Fiat Coupe Club UK

MOT fail

Posted By: Morrison

MOT fail - 16/11/2014 15:59

Coupe failed the mot last week. £240 later and she's good to go. Needed a new front spring, track rod end and some welding to front arch.

Not too shabby considering she's only done 1500 miles this year. A testament to the work Joe did earlier this year.

New job starts next month so should have funds to start the other jobs that need doing, much to the wife's dismay!

Happy chappy here.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: MOT fail - 16/11/2014 16:43

Keep an eye on the other front spring, of ones gone the other wont be far behind.

Enjoy your renewed Coupe!

Re: MOT fail - 16/11/2014 17:16

Thanks gunzi, I will definitely keep a check on it. Needs to be driven more over winter, keep everything from rotting away!
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: MOT fail - 18/11/2014 07:48

Aren't you supposed to change both of them due to risk of instability?
Posted By: barnacle

Re: MOT fail - 18/11/2014 08:44

Springs aren't a part which show significant differences with age (unless they break) as opposed to shockers or tyres.
Posted By: szkom

Re: MOT fail - 18/11/2014 10:09

Not sure I agree. Compress them enough times and you get plastic deformation, hence sagging. But on top of that you lose thickness in places due to corrosion which alters the rate.

If the spring you're replacing is original you will notice it sits higher when you're done.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: MOT fail - 18/11/2014 10:50

Thickness changes (and coefficient of springiness changes) due to surface effects, yes. But you shouldn't get the plastic deformation with a properly defined spring. You shouldn't be anywhere near the elastic limit.

But as with most things that come in pairs, best to change together...
Posted By: Nigel

Re: MOT fail - 18/11/2014 13:51

I'd tend to agree - I've just renewed my Eibach springs, as the originals have been on for around ten years (and were secondhand when I bought them)

The car feels noticeably better on the replacements, but the free length of the new and old springs was identical

I'd definitely replace springs as pairs, if not as a set of four
Posted By: H_R

Re: MOT fail - 18/11/2014 16:56

Sorry to Hijack

Nigel
are these the best springs for adjustable osrav? is that what you are still running now?
also on there softest setting what are they comparable to?
These are what i think im going for but just need yo be certain that they can be adjusted to a nice comfortable ride for everyday use!

Cheers

Re: MOT fail - 19/11/2014 07:42

Normally I would get both springs changed, but I believe the other side was done for the last mot. Or so I was told by previous owner.

I'll definitely be monitoring the situation.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK