Fiat Coupe Club UK

Windscreen cracked

Posted By: Trappy

Windscreen cracked - 25/04/2016 09:30

While driving on a local arterial yesterday, I came across a stretch of road littered with large sheets of cardboard. Having run the gauntlet for about a mile, I eventually caught up with a lorry and proceeded to pass it. A sheet in my lane was whipped up into the air by the lorry’s slipstream and then fell directly onto the bonnet, scuffing it, cracking the windscreen, scrubbing the roof and then sliding over the car to do the same to the bootlid.

The scuffs will polish out (hopefully) but the windscreen is pretty much cracked from left to right now. It’s got to be replaced and I’ll get on with that this afternoon, but is there a substantial risk that the screen will shatter if I continue driving it? Potholes in the area are terrible at the moment and even driving over speed bumps had me cringing it was going to shatter and fall in…

I would imagine the risk is increased but is it something that’s now pretty likely or am I just being paranoid?
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Windscreen cracked - 25/04/2016 09:41

The front screen is laminated safety glass so there's no chance it'll just fall in.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Windscreen cracked - 25/04/2016 13:10

No chance of it falling into the car without some serious help

I'd be speaking with the council or the Police to find out if they know the source of the road debris - you might be able to claim back the windscreen excess and the cost of the paint correction
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Windscreen cracked - 26/04/2016 08:50

As per other threads I'd reccomend AA AutoWindscreens for the replacement. The pattern Screen and fitter I had were excellant thumb
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Windscreen cracked - 26/04/2016 14:52

Ouch

Sorry to read that... Not pleasant.

Originally Posted By: Nigel

I'd be speaking with the council or the Police to find out if they know the source of the road debris - you might be able to claim back the windscreen excess and the cost of the paint correction

My thoughts exactly yes

Hello when did you have your screen changed?

Re: Windscreen cracked - 26/04/2016 15:48

Originally Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Hello when did you have your screen changed?

Presume you mean me Sedici laugh - I had my screen about two years ago. Stone flew up from a lorry on the A46 and a crack gradually grew up along the bottom edge of the screen. A few Mill further up and it would've hit the wiper arm. I was a bit worried about getting the replacement done but the AA AutoW chap was excellant - a real expert and had done a couple of Coupes before. He knew the exact beed depth to fit and managed to re-use my original seal. I have had zero issues with it since done - you would struggle to know it was not the original screen if you had not noticed the missing F/I/A/T logo........
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Windscreen cracked - 26/04/2016 16:06

Ah the old autocorrect! laugh

Ah that is good to know, should the need arise! I had heard stories of water leaking etc

Re: Windscreen cracked - 26/04/2016 16:12

Yes I was nervous about that as well with comments on here. A long as you have a good fitter who uses the correct bead depth and if they can save the original seal like mine (they are not available OE anymore) - it should be fine.
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Windscreen cracked - 26/04/2016 16:20

I had a new windscreen fitted last year! frown
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK