Fiat Coupe Club UK

Scrap schemes are back!

Posted By: Barmybob

Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 07:50

Hmm, wasn't expecting that!

Whilst talking to a dealer about my options, trading in my A5 to get a TTRS he offered another option. My Coupé could be taken as a proportion of the deposit. Sadly it's a significant enough value to have me considering it. When I pushed to why the value was so high he said he could put it through under their new scrap scheme shocked
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 07:52

Scrap the A5 and keep the Coupe Bob ! laugh
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 08:03

Give us a grand for mine and let him have that tongue
Posted By: coupedummy

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 10:00

I'm looking at scrappage schemes, I have my little stilo which is perfect for it. Thought most were for diesels mind.shame if it goes that way for a coupe but understood.
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 10:54

Bob, you've mentioned "Coupe" and "Scrap" in the same post.

nono

Darn it, and now I have too !! crazy

Anyway, is the part-ex value they're offering higher than selling privately? Yours is certainly one of the nice ones so I'd expect a reasonable price.

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 11:05

My coop is too far awaay for Bob to consider (oh go on then Bob £500 and it's yours tongue ) But anyone wanting to take advantage of scrappage that scheme could buy a duff coop cheap and put that in.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 11:19

Originally Posted By came2dance
My coop is too far awaay for Bob to consider (oh go on then Bob £500 and it's yours tongue ) But anyone wanting to take advantage of scrappage that scheme could buy a duff coop cheap and put that in.

Don't buy a duff Coupé; just buy a duff anything else and p/ex that instead. Please don't get even duff Coupés scrapped. They can be used for parts, but not if they've been turned into cubes. :-(
Posted By: MCMike

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 11:32

Sad times, no doubt some perfectly good classic cars will be sent to the crusher ...again..just to boost manufacturers sales frown
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 11:34

To be grammatically correct the words 'Scrap' and 'Fiat Coupe' don't go together in the same sentence unless the words 'dont' and 'the' go before and after the word scrap biglaugh

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 11:51

Originally Posted By Pigman
Originally Posted By came2dance

Don't buy a duff Coupé; just buy a duff anything else and p/ex that instead. Please don't get even duff Coupés scrapped. They can be used for parts, but not if they've been turned into cubes. :-(

True this is a much better option! laugh

I've just been looking on 'tinterweb. Vauxhall state "you must have owned the car for 90 days" & Audi state 6 months. What's it to them rolleyes
Posted By: dante giacosa

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 01/09/2017 14:15

funny

what nonsense...

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 02/09/2017 09:14

I would never SERIOUSLY consider it. I suspect the offer is just them trying to push me into doing the deal. The details of their scheme does specifically state older pre- cat 5 Diesels, no mention of Petrol cars.

The PCP deposit is £10K and they've offered £5K for the Fiat. What had me contemplating was the derisory offer they made for my A5, not sure I could stomach a £7K loss in a year!
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 02/09/2017 13:17

£7K loss in one year..... how I love the dealership new car games. crazy

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 02/09/2017 14:49

It is a bonkers offer but we are still at an early stage. Last year they opened with a silly offer on my previous A5 before making a much more sensible offer, to close the deal. I suspect their reluctance to offer a reasonable price has something to do with the guaranteed trade, they honour the price until time of delivery plus a few T&C's. It appears TTRS lead time is running at 5 - 6 months depending on what specification you order, so they are hedging their bets.

The £5K offer on the Coupé is less than 10% of the total cost. The dealers do usually offer some discount but they are resolute in offering nothing off list at the moment! As the RS isn't available through any of the discount places yet you have very little leverage frown

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 02/09/2017 16:12

Originally Posted By Barmybob
It is a bonkers offer but we are still at an early stage. Last year they opened with a silly offer on my previous A5 before making a much more sensible offer, to close the deal. I suspect their reluctance to offer a reasonable price has something to do with the guaranteed trade, they honour the price until time of delivery plus a few T&C's. It appears TTRS lead time is running at 5 - 6 months depending on what specification you order, so they are hedging their bets.

The £5K offer on the Coupé is less than 10% of the total cost. The dealers do usually offer some discount but they are resolute in offering nothing off list at the moment! As the RS isn't available through any of the discount places yet you have very little leverage frown

You do. You can walk away. smile

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 02/09/2017 21:08

Indeed. I'll probably just renew the warranty on the A5 and wait another year... rolleyes

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 05/09/2017 09:53

Originally Posted By Barmybob
Indeed. I'll probably just renew the warranty on the A5 and wait another year... rolleyes

And this is what I've done!

I did manage to negotiate a discount, through a third party, that was of a similar amount to the "Scrap scheme" offer rolleyes But despite the huge temptation I've decided not to proceed.

The lure of specifying a brand new car is mighty but it comes at a huge cost. Next year there should be some used TTRS's on the forecourt and if the right specification appears that may be a better option. It might also mean that a better deal could be struck on a new one too.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 05/09/2017 11:12

Good man Barmybob!

I own a sensible "Germanic" car for day to day driving. Its tech spec outweighs the coupe on most fronts, economy, comfort, toys, and performance isn't bad at all...

It all pales away when I fire up the coupe and take her for a run - the sound and pace still amaze and make me smile.

I like old school. Its much more real and exciting to me.

With new car depreciation...wait 13 months and pick up the car you what at far less then today Barmy!

Regards MM
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 06/09/2017 15:23

Fiat/Alfa (and Chrysler) UK are also in on it, up to £5,300 off a Guilietta or £3,500 on an (obsolete) Punto, but need to have owned the car for 180 days and can't be used with other promotions, eg: the Affinity or Privilege schemes.

But might be worth a look?
Posted By: andyps

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 06/09/2017 16:20

I don't think any of them are really scrappage schemes as such, just manufacturers/dealers subsidising trade ins pretty heavily against new cars. The official one that ran a few years ago offering £2k scrappage included £1000 from the government, £1000 fromm dealer/manufacturer. Essentially the govt missed out on a chunk of their VAT take to boost the economy and dealers subsidised what they would have done anyway.

The same principle probably applies now, just ask for a discount.

In terms of Alfa I have seen an offer for the 4C with £16k off rrp, if it included the spider I might be in one through a pcp now but it was coupe only unfortunately.
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 29/12/2017 22:28

Hey Bob.
Clarkson was championing (if such a word exists) the TTRs on The Grand Tour tonight.
Near on 400 bhp, it sounds good, in a synthetic kind if way.
There are some good shots of it on the Croatian highways, but I couldn't help but think that a 400 bhp Coupe chasing it would look the better car.
Have you seen the show?
driving
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Scrap schemes are back! - 02/01/2018 09:19

Originally Posted By HiraethHuw
There are some good shots of it on the Croatian highways, but I couldn't help but think that a 400 bhp Coupe chasing it would look the better car.

I doubt you'd get both cars in the same shot if they were both flat out!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK