Fiat Coupe Club UK

Anyone want to rescue a 16VT?

Posted By: Nigel

Anyone want to rescue a 16VT? - 23/05/2018 06:52

Motormech had a call recently to have a look at the viability of restoring a Broom Yellow 16VT that had been stood for some years.

As it was local, I arranged to have a look at it on the way home, rather than taking up a Motormech ramp for a day.

It can be rescued, but will need quite a bit of effort. The exterior bodywork is fairly rust-free, although the paintwork has dulled quite a bit. The arches are pretty good, the sills have a bit of surface rust and one sill is dented from some careless jacking.

However, the boot floor seams are quite bad - the paintwork is blown for a few inches on both sides - I think if I'd prodded it with a screwdriver, I would probably have gone straight through.

From experience, when the boot floor is that bad, there will be more rust underneath.

The engine had been started and run up to temperature periodically without any issues, but has recently failed to start (we suspect the fuel - its been in there six years!)

When I explained the extent of the work required, the owner resigned himself to never getting it back on the road, so I said I'd post something on the forum.

So - if you are handy with the welder or have a very tame bodyshop mate, this could be a decent car to rescue - there are so few 16VT's left that it would be a shame to see this broken for spares.

let me know if you want the owner's details
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anyone want to rescue a 16VT? - 29/05/2018 21:28

Cheers Nigel, I really appreciate your help. I'm going to post an advert on here so I'll copy this post across if you're happy for me to do that.

Liam

Re: Anyone want to rescue a 16VT? - 30/05/2018 04:24

Hi Liam

Well done for remembering your forum details!

Yes - more than happy for you to use my text in your ad - good luck!
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Anyone want to rescue a 16VT? - 11/06/2018 16:08

16vt frown

Re: Anyone want to rescue a 16VT? - 11/06/2018 16:57

Indeed - what a shame, although it would have been a brave person to take on a restoration on this one
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Anyone want to rescue a 16VT? - 11/06/2018 17:02

On the plus side, the postage isn't bad at £5.75, standard delivery laugh
Posted By: Sedicivalvole

Re: Anyone want to rescue a 16VT? - 29/06/2018 21:09

Sad - so few of the little beasties left
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK