Fiat Coupe Club UK

Breakdown cover recommendations?

Posted By: G_Man

Breakdown cover recommendations? - 05/06/2018 11:55

I've got basic cover at the moment through the union but is basically a recovery service and was looking to ramp it up a bit. What with being an older car etc etc. I thought I'd be paying through the nose for the age, make and model but surprisingly RAC come in at £120 for home and roadside assistance plus national recovery. Has anyone got any recommendations with who they use smile (by the way I am no way affiliated to the RAC)
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Breakdown cover recommendations? - 05/06/2018 13:21

How many people/cars are you needing cover for? We've been with the AA for donkey's years and despite them hiking up the price at renewal, I can usually talk them back down again just by pointing out that a newly joining non-member can get a better rate. I've had several recoveries over the years with the Coupe wink and never a complaint.

I don't bother with home cover (I can usually fix stuff myself, or if not, I can always push the car a quarter of a mile down the road) just roadside and recovery, but that's for me, the wife and our 19-yo son, for around £160 IIRC. So that's "personal" cover rather than "car" cover.

AA mostly use vans with built in tow dolly things, but their "Relay" service still means a "relay" effort over a long distance, and the changeover points are not warm AA depots but typically a motorway services car park or equivalent.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Breakdown cover recommendations? - 05/06/2018 13:58

Yep AA made sense for me to. And they do cover coupes for abroad cover (more to come on that) for circa £65 extra.

Touch wood I've not had to use them much- but many moons ago when I last did-they were good.

Regards

MM
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Breakdown cover recommendations? - 05/06/2018 14:20

Rob be aware of the small print for European cover.
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Breakdown cover recommendations? - 05/06/2018 14:25

When I broke down in Assen recently I found out (after calling the AA in France) that they would give me complementary roadside cover for being a long-standing member, but all that would have done was get me a tow to a (closed) garage on a Sunday night, left me stranded away from the B&B, and likely having to miss the Monday late afternoon ferry from Calais. So with help from "reben" on here a new part was bought and I fitted it late Monday morning and made it back home OK, so I can save that complementary cover for another time. I was planning to take the other Coupe which has European cover included, but it wasn't ready in time.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK