Fiat Coupe Club UK

Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners

Posted By: Mark_D

Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 12/08/2018 13:57

I've had a look but can't find anything on this subject so I'm going to ask.

I've got the rear interior cards off at the moment. I've done a bit of de-rusting and I've siliconed the Pininfarina badge legs. Whilst at it, I noticed a bit of rust behind the seatbelt pre tensioners.

Would I be wise to leave alone, or would it be the thing to remove them to sort the rust more easily?

As far as I know on the subject, You have to disconnect the battery for about half hour minimum, and I believe it's recommended to wear safety goggles. Other than this I don't know if a) I'm wise to meddle and b) if there is anything else I should be aware of.

Any help would be gratefully received
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 13/08/2018 19:23

Which part is this Mark?

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 13/08/2018 19:45

Sorry Chris, The black plastic module with the pyrotechnics in. It’s held in place with one brass coloured screw and a clip

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 13/08/2018 19:49

I’m just wanting to know if it is a wise thing to remove it to deal with some rust behind it, or to work around leaving it alone. I know they’re explosive like the air bags, just wondered if anyone had played around with them and could advise
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 04:28

I’ve removed loads from cars we’ve dismantled - just disconnect the battery, wait a good while, then remove the unit

If you really want to make sure there’s no residual charge in the car, press the brake pedal ( after the battery has been disconnected) as this will actuate the brake light switch, which should get rid of any charge that might be lurking in the system (although I suspect this is a bit of an old wive’s tale and it’s not actually possible....)
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 06:03

Mark, do you mean removing the entire seat belt reel assembly from the car or stripping the assembly?

As for stripping the assembly, I have attempted this before and its impossible to do without destroying the whole thing.

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 08:14

Thanks for the help Kelv, no I just wanted to get behind it to attend to some rust on the body then put it back in. I was just worried about any issues doing so. thumb

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 08:17

Nigel, that’s exactly what The info I was after, so really grateful to you for that. I’ll have a go at it and hopefully I’ll get the back of the car tidied up.
Many thanks again Nigel thumb

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 08:20

Massive thanks for the replies on this one. I didn’t want to go messing and ending up with no arms & legs afterwards. - one step closer to a tidier Coopthumb

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 11:44

To be fair, the worst-case scenario is that you somehow manage to fire the pre-tensioners, which should do nothing more than make you jump/deaf/pee your pants (delete as appropriate....)

Unless the unit was defective, the pyrotechnic discharge is meant to be contained within the unit

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 13:15

Well Nigel,...the aforementioned 3 events are a daily occurence with me anyway, so I doubt I’d notice anything out of the ordinary! crazy

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 14:19

That genuinely made me chuckle - now getting funny looks in the office....

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 15:40

laugh
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 16:46

One point to remember: before reconnecting the battery when you've finished the work, turn *on* the ignition (and make sure it's out of gear!).

That way, when you reconnect the battery, if it should go boom, you're out of the immediate vicinity on the other side of the firewall...

Re: Removing Seatbelt Pre Tensioners - 14/08/2018 18:18

I thought that’s what girlfriends were for biglaugh

“Hey Donna, as soon as I’ve reconnected the battery...you can take the Coop for a spin?” wink

No, on a serious note...that’s a top tip and thanks for that! thumb
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK