Fiat Coupe Club UK

turning over without firing

Posted By: H_R

turning over without firing - 14/08/2018 18:27

Hi Whats the easiest way to crank the engine to get the oil circulating without firing

Not used car since April and need to move it to another location as moving house!

Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: turning over without firing - 14/08/2018 19:02

Pull blue connector for cam sensor at rear left of engine just at the back/left of the intake manifold. It'll give an injector warning light but it'll clear when you plug it back in again.

Either that or pull the fuel pump fuse or relay above the ECU in passenger footwell. Or pull both connectors out of the yellow code box in dash above fuse box in driver's footwell.

Re: turning over without firing - 14/08/2018 19:23

Can you not unplug the coilpacks ? That way it won't fire but will crank?

Re: turning over without firing - 14/08/2018 21:08

That would work but will take much longer to do and won't stop fuel being injected so you risk flooding it and then having difficulty restarting.

Even with pulling the fuel pump fuse or relay you'll still get some fuel injected if the rail has any pressure remaining, so pulling the cam sensor or code box connectors would be my recommended method.

Re: turning over without firing - 15/08/2018 10:06

Hello to anyone that can help with my 20v turbo. It's been standing for a year. Battery disconnected. New battery fitted but the car just turns and won't fire. I've tried resetting the immobilizer with all 3 keys in order etc but it won't fire. Any ideas please.
Gary.

Re: turning over without firing - 15/08/2018 10:14

Let's start with the usual questions... what exactly are the code light and injector light on the dash doing? And can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition? Both lights should come on, go off and stay off during cranking, if either aren't coming on at all, are staying on or coming back on during cranking then that points at the problem.

Re: turning over without firing - 15/08/2018 11:45

Thanks for the help guys!

Battery on charge and will give it a go tomorrow fingers crossed!

cheers

Re: turning over without firing - 15/08/2018 18:07

Originally Posted By GrahamL
That would work but will take much longer to do and won't stop fuel being injected so you risk flooding it and then having difficulty restarting.

Even with pulling the fuel pump fuse or relay you'll still get some fuel injected if the rail has any pressure remaining, so pulling the cam sensor or code box connectors would be my recommended method.

To be fair I didn't think of that ! Good point smile
Posted By: skinflint

Re: turning over without firing - 16/08/2018 20:32

Originally Posted By evvosown
Hello to anyone that can help with my 20v turbo. It's been standing for a year. Battery disconnected. New battery fitted but the car just turns and won't fire. I've tried resetting the immobilizer with all 3 keys in order etc but it won't fire. Any ideas please.
Gary.

I believe the red key always works -maybe someone else can confirm?? You may need to do the key learning process again afterwards.

Re: turning over without firing - 17/08/2018 06:59

Just would like to confirm the blue plug worked a treat a little fiddly to do with the strut brace but still relatively easy to get to
Turned over for around 30seconds or so till I had normal pressure
Started straight away once plugged back in

Thanks Graham for this nugget of information
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK