Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fuel Filler Cap Lock

Posted By: Lappers

Fuel Filler Cap Lock - 29/11/2018 14:51

Hi there

Have just purchased a brand new fuel filler cap from partsworld-uk.com which is excellent value and looks very nice. My existing one is a bit tarnished and have never got around to refurbishing it so the cost of a new one seemed a good compromise.

I have now fitted the new one but when swapping over the lock barrel I found that the latch part of the new one (the bit where the lock fits) when the lock was inserted it would only turn a quarter turn instead of a half turn. When looking at the old one, the groves inside the barrel receptacle look different in that the old one has sort of two key ways and the new one only has one. I know this probably isn't very well explained but to solve the problem I have had to fit the old latch part with the barrel in to the new body. It looks OK but the old latch part is a bit tarnished and obviously isn't as good as the new one.

Is anybody aware that this is a known problem or am I doing something wrong possibly?

My car is a year 2000 Plus

Thanks

John

p.s. I did get hold of a second hand one a year or so ago with a view to refurbishing it but looking at the latch assembly on that one I think it looks like the new one as well - IE it wouldn't fit properly either!
Posted By: Serg1

Re: Fuel Filler Cap Lock - 29/11/2018 19:39

Had the same problem.

I switched groved plate from my old cap into the new so it would turn the required half turn.

I also compared it against a spare cap and found all 3 had different groved plates.

Re: Fuel Filler Cap Lock - 29/11/2018 19:47

Thanks John

Just being ignorant but what is the grooved plate?
Posted By: Serg1

Re: Fuel Filler Cap Lock - 30/11/2018 12:43

After removing both screws which hold the plate in place I found this plate was different from my original cap so I used this old plate and it worked fine.

Re: Fuel Filler Cap Lock - 30/11/2018 13:28

Thanks John, might give that a try but I found the barrel would only go in the housing in one particular position when it was all apart so I’m not sure the grooved plate will have any effect but will see!
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Fuel Filler Cap Lock - 03/12/2018 09:49

After getting stuck for a very long time at a petrol station due to non -unlocking fuel cap - I leave mine unlocked now all the time.

You just need to ensure that they spring hasn't rusted away in the latch that allows the cap to "click" down in to place.

That creates the air-tight seal to allow the fuel tank.

You may want to keep the fuel cap lockable - in which case ignore the above.

But if not-may be a way forward.

Regards,

MM

Re: Fuel Filler Cap Lock - 04/12/2018 10:29

Thanks MM. Certainly something to consider especially as the car is very seldom left in any public place for any length of time
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK