Fiat Coupe Club UK

Key-cutting

Posted By: Edinburgh

Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 08:39

I've had a blank "blue" key lying around for a while and would like to get it cut as a spare.

Can anyone advise me where I might get this done? It's clear the standard shoeshops, DIY stores etc. won't do it...

Ta smile
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 08:53

How about an actual locksmiths?
Posted By: Possum

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 10:45

When I bought my new Blue key blank many years ago, I just took it and the Red key (to use as the "master") to my local locksmith and had it cut.

Then spent about 20 seconds programming all the keys into the Coupe. Easy
Posted By: DaveG

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 10:57

A lot of key cutting places here in the UK get all arsey if you bring your own blank to be cut with no programming involved, they seem to want to sell you the blank and programming service at vast cost, oh, and they'll cut the blank too grr
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 15:24

Originally Posted By DaveG
A lot of key cutting places here in the UK get all arsey if you bring your own blank to be cut with no programming involved, they seem to want to sell you the blank and programming service at vast cost, oh, and they'll cut the blank too grr

Indeed.

Timpson at Tesco Aldershot branch could not supply a blank key for my X1/9 door locks and suggested that I found a blank key elsewhere.

I did just that via the internet and when I took the 2 blanks to them to cut, they refused outright, saying that they could not guarantee the finished key as they had not supplied the blank. blabla grr

I did what I should have done in the first place and went to my local locksmiths (KBO Locks in Aldershot, and yes really, read the writing on their van!). Not only did they cut my keys but they had the blanks in stock too.

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 19:37

Cheers chaps smile

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 21:45

Originally Posted By PeteP

Not only did they cut my keys but they had the blanks in stock too.

Not surprised that they had the blank as it was used in many Fiat models and even Ladas.
Posted By: PeteP

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 21:53

It is 39 years old just the same Possum, but I agree, an awful lot of spares are still available thanks to the 128 and Ritmo/Strada mechanicals.

Re: Key-cutting - 13/12/2018 22:39

I think you will find that the same key was used in the 124, 125, 131, 132 and even some of the other Italian "exotics" that used the same door handles.
Posted By: Kelv27

Re: Key-cutting - 14/12/2018 01:57

I got my spare key from Timpson the last time Simon. Blanks were supplied by them. Didn't need the red key either to get the programming done..

Re: Key-cutting - 14/12/2018 08:20

Thanks chaps, discovered to my surprise a place has just opened up along the road from me that'll do it for £15 as I'm supplying the blank smile
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK