Fiat Coupe Club UK

Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop?

Posted By: JKD

Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 02/03/2019 11:50

In your experience, how much effect has a combination of old age and high mileage had on the Coop's mpg?

What's the lowest mpg (in this case, a standard 20VT that's mainly town driving off boost with a bit of boost here and there) one can expect to have to live with, as opposed to an mpg that indicates something is wrong with the car?
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 02/03/2019 12:17

Mileage and age have very little effect - its all down to how well it has been looked after

My Coupe returns an average of about 25mpg, which includes all sorts of driving. That said, its not typical, as the cylinder head work makes it more efficient than a stock Coupe

I would estimate 20 - 25mpg for the type of driving you mention. 25 - 30mpg for more out-of-town driving. As low as 15-20 when really hooning and as much as 35 when cruising on the motorway
Posted By: JKD

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 02/03/2019 12:31

Oh dear.

I put in about 8 litres the other day, and the gauge has nearly gone to the bottom - after 18 miles in three days. crazy

I'm not sure if the gauge is just messed up!

I've had it serviced a few months ago and got two injectors changed recently, but the idle seems rough and the car heavy and sluggish apart from when the boost kicks in! Also, when starting the car I find I'm now having to press on the gas to help it fire up!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 02/03/2019 19:33

My friend has Bravo 1 1.8 GT with the same issue. Car is hard to start and has bad fuel consumption. I think he fixed it by changing MAF sensor.
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 02/03/2019 19:38

My average city driving was 22mpg.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 02/03/2019 19:57

My average around the city is 4-4.5 miles per litre, but 7 on a long run - very occasionally 8
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 02/03/2019 23:23

My Flea mapped 20VT was far better on juice than my current golf GTI. I was getting an easy 32 MPG if I was caerful around town.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 04/03/2019 10:37

Originally Posted by pinin_prestatyn
My Flea mapped 20VT was far better on juice than my current golf GTI. I was getting an easy 32 MPG if I was caerful around town.

I asked Mr Flea to provide More Ooomph everywhere- but with improved MPG. He has managed to do both. She takes off much more aggressively, and races like she never did when standard - but the TORQUE is so good- you can just trickle along on the throttle not really needing to stir the gearbox. Its certainly improved the MPG. I made Middle UK to edge of Belgium/start of Germany with 1/4 of a tank left. Perfect for GT cruising!

Regards

MM
Posted By: Grigio

Re: Lowest acceptable mpg on a Coop? - 12/05/2019 01:21

Originally Posted by JKD
I've had it serviced a few months ago and got two injectors changed recently, but the idle seems rough and the car heavy and sluggish apart from when the boost kicks in! Also, when starting the car I find I'm now having to press on the gas to help it fire up!

Mine was a dog to start when I bought it, simply wouldn't idle well until warm. I cleaned the idle control valve for a slight improvement, replacing the MAF sorted it. I had quite a task tracking down a good 2nd hand one, new ones are expensive, cheap generic ones are crap.

I've been consistently getting 12l/100kms (23 UK mpg). 6 months ago, coming in to our summer, I had issues with it hunting under boost, I removed the Gtec1 chip and ran it on 91, the hunting improved but overall performance declined, so I went back to the Gtec1 chip and now run it solely on 98. Fuel consumption has gone from 13l/100kms to 12l/100kms.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK