Fiat Coupe Club UK

Finally bought a VIS

Posted By: respace

Finally bought a VIS - 14/03/2019 13:56

After much looking and missing out on a few I finally got one. Low mileage, good history and very good condition, has club badges so must have belonged to someone on here at some point, a real credit to whoever they are. Never having driven a VIS before my first impressions are that it is more torquey than my 16vt, I was constantly trying to change up when already in 5th.
Hasn't got the 'kick in the pants' of the turbo but quick enough, for now at least.

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 14/03/2019 13:56

Forgot to mention the sound, wow!
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 14/03/2019 16:39

I hear that nothing sounds quite like a VIS! Great news to hear that you have located one- and a good one- after such a search!

Look forward to seeing/hearing where you go from here.

Regards

MM

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 14/03/2019 17:10

Looks like a cambelt first, a new radio and maybe some leather seats.
Posted By: OnlyItalian

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 14/03/2019 20:44

Nice work. You're right about mid range torque. The combination of that, the instant throttle response even at 1500rpm and the way they pull between 6-7k rpm is what makes the vis engine so special. Fiat's best kept secret!

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 14/03/2019 20:48

Originally Posted by Master_Mariner
I hear that nothing sounds quite like a VIS!

Except possibly a Lamborghini Gallardo!
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 14/03/2019 20:57

Welcome to ownership thumb

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 15/03/2019 11:59

Treat yourself to a Ragazzon exhaust and I promise you won't regret it. Quality piece of kit with mandrel bends. Geezers who fitted mine said, "Nice exhaust, went straight on, no messing about". I said "Yeah, knew it would".

Balance Motorsport supplied mine, came from Italy and arrived exactly when they said it would. One of my most satisfying purchases.

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 15/03/2019 12:38

Note sure what exhaust it's got, pretty sure it's not standard, has twin brassy coloured end pipes. Don't think it's a Lambo, probably couldn't buy a Lambo cup holder for the price of this one! Good £/decibel ratio.

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 15/03/2019 18:56

It's worth unplugging the mass air flow meter to see if you gain any power at the top. If you do you'll need to replace it. Mine was about 30 bhp down until I unplugged it. New one cost me about £90.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Finally bought a VIS - 22/03/2019 18:55

I have a vis also but I thought my first Coupe, which was a 1997 20v non turbo Scottie, had a much nicer engine note, being more throaty.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK