Fiat Coupe Club UK

Sticky centre console

Posted By: Cooperman

Sticky centre console - 15/04/2019 20:59

Finally got round to tackling the centre console this weekend. Went through 3 cloths and a half bottle of meths and lots of choice words. Also fitted new DAB radio and antenna along with repairing a broken FM antenna which had been bugging me. Overall quite happy with the finish which I kept to a simple black gloss finish. Handbrake console next smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sticky centre console - 16/04/2019 06:20

Please come and do mine!

Re: Sticky centre console - 16/04/2019 06:38

I am sure I could be kept busy but I may lose my sanity. Refitting needs the patience of a saint to avoid breaking tabs or snagging cables. It’s amazing how many Italian marques suffer with these coatings, Ferrari, Maserati owners also complain they have the same issue, just a lot more of it.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Sticky centre console - 16/04/2019 07:03

Did mine a few years ago, used nail varnish remover and wd40 came off quite quickly with a range of cloths. The centre console comes up in a lovely piano gloss black unfortunately the handbrake console is a different plastic and does not buff up so nicely more of a matte finish; still better than the sticky crap it was coated with.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Sticky centre console - 16/04/2019 08:05

Originally Posted by Cooperman
Finally got round to tackling the centre console this weekend. Went through 3 cloths and a half bottle of meths and lots of choice words. Also fitted new DAB radio and antenna along with repairing a broken FM antenna which had been bugging me. Overall quite happy with the finish which I kept to a simple black gloss finish. Handbrake console next smile

Nice one Ash cool

What sort of DAB antenna did you use and how did you install it? I recently changed the position of mine from horizontal (passenger side top of screen) to vertical (fixed to A pillar) as I read the signal is received better that way...

Re: Sticky centre console - 16/04/2019 19:30

It was an amplified unit I got from ebay

link

I mounted it horizontal high up on the drivers side so the sun visor hides it most of the time. Not had any signal issues, in fact the signal pick up is stronger than the factory fitted unit in my Superb.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Sticky centre console - 16/04/2019 21:10

Originally Posted by Cooperman
It was an amplified unit I got from ebay

link

I mounted it horizontal high up on the drivers side so the sun visor hides it most of the time. Not had any signal issues, in fact the signal pick up is stronger than the factory fitted unit in my Superb.

Yep that's similar - have you hidden the earth and black box under the A pillar trim?

Re: Sticky centre console - 16/04/2019 22:01

Only the earth tape is hidden by the roof lining, the box just sits on the edge of the windscreen. Fairly simple install tbh, just routing the cable behind the dash a bit fiddly.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Sticky centre console - 21/04/2019 15:20

Could it just be sprayed with plasti dip, without removing it?

Re: Sticky centre console - 21/04/2019 19:41

Never say never Annie but you would likely make a hell of a mess of the interior I suspect, best to remove it and be able to limit how much of a mess you make. I doubt trying to mask it off in situ would be an easy task either.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK