Fiat Coupe Club UK

MOT time.... our survey says!

Posted By: RusH

MOT time.... our survey says! - 02/08/2019 14:09

Not as long as some of the people on here, however my Coupe that I've owned for coming up on 17 odd years is in the process of being recommissioned. Having only done around 12 miles in the last four years it’s fair to say I was apprehensive about it going back through an MOT. It’s more recent MOT test had returned very little with regards to advisories, plus the car has been garaged for the majority of the four years it’s been off the road so I was hopeful.

Today’s news confirms that it’s not too scary! Insufficient braking to the rear has been identified as a failed rear brake compensator, plus ineffective callipers. In addition the scorpion alarm was going crazy and as such the hazards would not stop flashing being the only other failure item.

Not a bad result for a 22 year old car!

Now to have the car serviced and the belts done – then the decision as to keep or put up for sale!
Posted By: aust_powers

Re: MOT time.... our survey says! - 02/08/2019 20:44

That's good news! Good to get another coop back on the road! I don't think I have seen any in the last 3 months,

Re: MOT time.... our survey says! - 05/08/2019 07:59

Originally Posted by aust_powers
That's good news! Good to get another coop back on the road! I don't think I have seen any in the last 3 months,

thumb
Posted By: Begbie

Re: MOT time.... our survey says! - 05/08/2019 10:31

Insufficient braking to the rear has been identified as a failed rear brake compensator
I'm not convinced they actually fail, just seize up instead. A trick I was shown to help un-seize it was to get a pole onto the arm (preferably with a groove to get the pole to sit on the arm} and hit it with a hammer or something to press the arm onto the pistons and this will get things working again

Re: MOT time.... our survey says! - 05/08/2019 19:36

Originally Posted by Begbie
Insufficient braking to the rear has been identified as a failed rear brake compensator
I'm not convinced they actually fail, just seize up instead. A trick I was shown to help un-seize it was to get a pole onto the arm (preferably with a groove to get the pole to sit on the arm} and hit it with a hammer or something to press the arm onto the pistons and this will get things working again

Thanks Begbie - the part has already been ordered. I should be getting the car back on Wednesday I hope. Worth noting mind. Having been sat stationary for 4 years it wasn’t surprising that there was some issues.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK