Fiat Coupe Club UK

Exhaust back to standard

Posted By: KevinW

Exhaust back to standard - 03/01/2020 17:33

Hi
Recently acquired 20V turbo in bbc. 43k miles. Was a bit disappointed with exhaust sound...very boomy, especially around 50mph. It was a stainless single box. Swapped in a decent standard 2 box system and now can't hardly hear exhaust at all...so much better. Less vibration also and seems to have gained power. A bit suspicious about 'special' exhausts. Much prefer the standard. Much more refined!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Exhaust back to standard - 03/01/2020 23:20

An enthusiast after my own heart! can’t beat a standard set up imo. But I expect those with 500bhp under the foot my disagree!
Posted By: Gripped

Re: Exhaust back to standard - 04/01/2020 10:41

I'm usually a fan of keeping things standard, but certainly with the non turbo VIS the standard exhaust is very quiet so you don't get to fully appreciate the 5 pot burble. I had an exhausted tuned not to be boomy, but still sounds good.

Re: Exhaust back to standard - 04/01/2020 14:20

The original Clarion system itsnt at all bad either. Can actually hear it fully now and no complaints. Adjusted fade treble and bass and sounds great! Mind you I was used to Ford.
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Exhaust back to standard - 06/01/2020 08:19

My Peco is fairly boomy around 2000rpm, got used to it now and I don't find it intrusive; one of the major enjoyments of ownership of the 20vt is hearing the 5 pot engine, the OE was too quiet for me.

Re: Exhaust back to standard - 07/01/2020 16:20

Not sure if the one I replaced was Peco or not. It was a single box stainless. One cylinder, no markings. It was most noisy around 2000 yes but was definitely intrusive. An annoying boom is a novelty for a while but soon becomes tiresome to my ears - prefer to hear the hi-fi.

Re: Exhaust back to standard - 10/01/2020 09:01

Found out the make of the exhaust. It was a Toyosports. Very faint letters and logo etched on the tailpipe. Looks just like a Cybox but a bit cheaper online.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK